Anyone know this 924 Turbo?

Bibbs

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, michel said:

Interesting ... I was only looking at a very  similar WA delivery car a week ago 

@michel Strange, as my Dad had it in Germany a while before bringing it to Aus, so I'm not sure if it counts as "WA Delivered". 

Where abouts was it? Any more details? I'd be interested to try and track down if it's the same one.

23 minutes ago, Bibbs said:

Strange, as my Dad had it in Germany a while before bringing it to Aus. 

Where abouts was it? Any more details? I'd be interested to try and track down if it's the same one.

It could have been a Tourist delivery car  ... buy it from Porsche dealership here, pick it up in Germany and drive it around Europe, have it shipped back to Aus and no extra taxes paid.

Seems possible as a German delivered car would have been LHD ...

@Dreamr Could have been. He had a yellow 924 before that, but that was in Germany proper. I was a bit too young to remember much about it.

I'll have a bit of a google about "Tourist Delivery". I should quiz my old man a bit more when I speak to him next.

5 hours ago, Bibbs said:

@michel Strange, as my Dad had it in Germany a while before bringing it to Aus, so I'm not sure if it counts as "WA Delivered". 

Mentioned your Q to the owner ( PFA  member) appears its orig delivered to tassie 

BTW @Bibbs that you in the denim lederhosen ? 

1 minute ago, michel said:

Mentioned your Q to the owner ( PFA  member) appears its orig delivered to tassie 

Thanks. Hopefully they may see this thread, but it doesn't sound like the same car.

2 hours ago, Bibbs said:

@Dreamr Could have been. He had a yellow 924 before that, but that was in Germany proper. I was a bit too young to remember much about it.

I'll have a bit of a google about "Tourist Delivery". I should quiz my old man a bit more when I speak to him next.

If it was one of the first 924 Turbos made, that would make it a 1979 model and very very rare .... there were very few of them made and even fewer survive ... I believe there are less than 10 RHD models known still to exist ...

I think you will have to have more of a chat with dad ... I'll be interested to hear the story. Of all of the turbo's I've seen, I've never seen an Oz delivered 2 tone one ... that's not saying there went any, just haven't ever seen one ...

Good luck with your search ..

Hi @Bibbs, I don’t have your car (I sure hope you find it) but I do have a 1979 series 1 924 Turbo that was factory delivered to Australia. It was delivered to Tasmania through Porsche dealer Performance Automobiles in Hobart

Mine is also a sunroof delete and had been quietly sitting in a barn on the NSW QLD inland border when I got my paws on it. I drove 13 hrs on my marriage anniversary weekend (with an understanding wife by my side and a fancy stopover in Armidale )

Its a factory two tone (blue silver) 

I’m currently refreshing the engine and have pretty much restored all mechanicals, but will likely leave it in “barnfind patina”

They require patience and dedication but are worth it. Where else do you get Porsche + Turbo + 70’s Technology for under 6 figures??

45095962961_339f05b0a0_b.jpg

On 10/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Dreamr said:

Of all of the turbo's I've seen, I've never seen an Oz delivered 2 tone one ... that's not saying there went any, just haven't ever seen one ...

There is an immaculate blue over silver Turbo here in Adelaide that sold last year through Buik Motorworks and/or Richmonds

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

There is an immaculate blue over silver Turbo here in Adelaide that sold last year through Buik Motorworks and/or Richmonds

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing it for sale on the interweb ...

Can't be too many Oz delivered 2 tone ones floating around ... I have seen quite a few overseas throughout the UK and Europe ..@Robert930 posted his above ... great to see another survivor.

9 hours ago, Robert930 said:

Hi @Bibbs, I don’t have your car (I sure hope you find it) but I do have a 1979 series 1 924 Turbo that was factory delivered to Australia. It was delivered to Tasmania through Porsche dealer Performance Automobiles in Hobart

Mine is also a sunroof delete and had been quietly sitting in a barn on the NSW QLD inland border when I got my paws on it. I drove 13 hrs on my marriage anniversary weekend (with an understanding wife by my side and a fancy stopover in Armidale )

Its a factory two tone (blue silver) 

I’m currently refreshing the engine and have pretty much restored all mechanicals, but will likely leave it in “barnfind patina”

They require patience and dedication but are worth it. Where else do you get Porsche + Turbo + 70’s Technology for under 6 figures??

45095962961_339f05b0a0_b.jpg

Robert .... does yours have a build date of 1979?

From what I have read, there were very few of them made as they only started producing them in very late 1979, and most of them would have gone to Europe. Most of the series 1 models were made in 1980 ... there is talk of a few RHD making it to the UK ... if yours is built in '79 and made it out here, then it would probably be 1 of "almost none" ... 

Well looking through some old photos, my Dad's car may have been a UK delivered.

I've found photos of his yellow 924 with "August 1978 - Box Hill"  (Surrey UK)

And then 2 photos of the 924 Turbo with "June 1980 - Dartford" (Kent UK) and "Feb 1981 - Staines"

@Robert930 Wow, that brings back memories. All the photos I have are very sepia coloured through age.

@michel Yup, that's me with the questionable fashion sense. Ahh the late 70s early 80s .. 

The 924 :

20181005_080308

Probably the last time I actually cleaned a Porsche :

20181005_080338

20181005_080354

10 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing it for sale on the interweb ...

Can't be too many Oz delivered 2 tone ones floating around ... I have seen quite a few overseas throughout the UK and Europe ..@Robert930 posted his above ... great to see another survivor.

Robert .... does yours have a build date of 1979?

From what I have read, there were very few of them made as they only started producing them in very late 1979, and most of them would have gone to Europe. Most of the series 1 models were made in 1980 ... there is talk of a few RHD making it to the UK ... if yours is built in '79 and made it out here, then it would probably be 1 of "almost none" ... 

Hey @Dreamr yes indeed, my build tag is 1979 build, what confuses everyone is the factory took another 12 months to sort out the tight fit of the steering, Turbo and wastegate for the RHD model, so anything 1979 and RHD is truly early.

I'd love to know more about my car's early life in Tasmania, and also how it ended up in the bush near Tenterfield from where I got it from.

If only these cars could talk?

10 hours ago, Bibbs said:

Well looking through some old photos, my Dad's car may have been a UK delivered.

I've found photos of his yellow 924 with "August 1978 - Box Hill"  (Surrey UK)

And then 2 photos of the 924 Turbo with "June 1980 - Dartford" (Kent UK) and "Feb 1981 - Staines"

@Robert930 Wow, that brings back memories. All the photos I have are very sepia coloured through age.

@michel Yup, that's me with the questionable fashion sense. Ahh the late 70s early 80s .. 

Epic memories @Bibbs 

43 minutes ago, Robert930 said:

Hey @Dreamr yes indeed, my build tag is 1979 build

Thanks for the info Robert .... all of this talk has me now wondering about the build date of mine.

Where is the build date tag / plate located?? The compliance plate smacks me in the face when I open the bonnet but I can't seem to locate the build plate. 

Cheers .....

22 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Thanks for the info Robert .... all of this talk has me now wondering about the build date of mine.

Where is the build date tag / plate located?? The compliance plate smacks me in the face when I open the bonnet but I can't seem to locate the build plate. 

Cheers .....

Your build date is 06/80 have a good look at the tags its right in front of your eyes :D

Ask me how i know.. ok don't but you know 

18 minutes ago, James P said:

Your build date is 06/80 have a good look at the tags its right in front of your eyes :D

Ask me how i know.. ok don't but you know 

Thanks James ... but the compliance plate is right in front of my eyes and yes, it says 06/80 ... but the build date is almost always different ..  eg. it could have been built in 01/80 then stored in a yard, then shipped to Aus and landed here in 06/80 where the compliance plate was put on and stamped ...

Shouldn't there be a seperate tag with the actual manufacture date from Porsche?? ...

11 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Thanks James ... but the compliance plate is right in front of my eyes and yes, it says 06/80 ... but the build date is almost always different ..  eg. it could have been built in 01/80 then stored in a yard, then shipped to Aus and landed here in 06/80 where the compliance plate was put on and stamped ...

Shouldn't there be a seperate tag with the actual manufacture date from Porsche?? ...

Contact Craig @ Porsche Melbourne got info if you can’t find 

On 10/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, Dreamr said:

Thanks Michel ...

Any ideas if / where the build tag should be??

Where’s your vin tag ?

also may be another hidden tag riveted to sheet metal - centre of dash 

My old Doctor had a 2 tone green (or was it brown) 924 turbo back in the early 80's when I had my 924 (non turbo). It was located here in Adelaide and from memory it was the only one in Adelaide.

His name was Adrian Munyard.

17 hours ago, michel said:

Where’s your vin tag ?

also may be another hidden tag riveted to sheet metal - centre of dash 

It's in the usual spot ... drivers side right next to shock tower. Next to that is a Porsche tag with more specific info about the car but no actual build date ...

I have seen on other cars (all makes) an actual build tag as well as the compliance plate and thought there might have been that as well ...

Thanks ... I'll check behind the dash ...

@Dreamr put yourself out of your misery ? email craig

on a side note . Thinking of Craig , if you lose your  keys even for an early car ( I’m thinking my GT rep) email and they can still get the code from Germany . Hadn’t realised .

Archived