Passing of Bob Jane

Raven

I was sorry to read of the passing of Bob Jane today , I am certain many remember Bob in his golden years of racing in the 60,s and 70,s and also his life long contributions to Australian Motorsport R.I.P 

Do_Oi_Bq5_U4_AE3_Xm_J.jpg

https://au.news.yahoo.com/australian-race-car-legend-bob-jane-dies-age-88-013529825.html

2484.jpg

34_Le_Mans-1984.jpg

HQ-_Monaro-04.jpg

orig014.jpg

I remember only a few years ago he was in a bitter legal battle with his son Rodney over the T marts ,,from memory Bob didn,t do to well with that and ended up with a huge debt in legal costs ,,,never fully understood the ongoing Feud in the family .

Sad he spent his last years involved in that sort of thing ... 

Great bloke. Met him when I worked for T marts as a 17/18 year old. Always had the SA Porsche club come in with their Turbo's and what not, as the boss (Peter) was on the committee with a black 944) so that was always a treat

Very sad re the court thing with his son. Greedy p...k!

17 hours ago, Raven said:

I remember only a few years ago he was in a bitter legal battle with his son Rodney over the T marts ,,from memory Bob didn,t do to well with that and ended up with a huge debt in legal costs ,,,never fully understood the ongoing Feud in the family .

Sad he spent his last years involved in that sort of thing ... 

Here is an article from 2013 which has refreshed my memory over BJ's 'reversal of fortunes' .

Its a good read - Jane was fixated on building Calder Park raceway in a sort of "If you build it they will come" brain fart; a monument that didnt work.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/collision-course-20130819-2s5rs.html

disclaimer, i don't know the truth, but I read his son was upset because Bob was risking BJTM because he was spending a LOT of money on both women, and the thunderdome, to the point where it was risking BJTM. Rodney stepped in to try and rescue the buisiness. Whether or not that was the right thing to do, since it was Bob who owned and built the company I don't know.

Who knows what really went down.  Seems like father/son got together to fix the business and cut out the ex, but dad fell for the ex again and went against the son, and they never spoke again.  Shame really to never bury the hatchet before bob passed. 

6 hours ago, Coastr said:

Who knows what really went down.  Seems like father/son got together to fix the business and cut out the ex, but dad fell for the ex again and went against the son, and they never spoke again.  Shame really to never bury the hatchet before bob passed. 

Bad wives, ex's and girlfriends come n go. Sons and good mates should be held forever

Here is  colour photo of that E Type - Jane had this before he got his 'lightweight' E Type.

(This brings back lots of memories for me as its exactly like my old one)

Interesting comparing an E Type & my present 911 and the German Vs English way of doing things to achieve rapid GT touring & 150mph top speed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20536&d=1376

6 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Interesting comparing an E Type & my present 911 and the German Vs English way of doing things to achieve rapid GT touring & 150mph top speed.

The horse either pushes or pulls the cart ;)
Interesting the 928 was designed from around 1969 onwards. Sort of an E type for the next generation.

I had an opportunity to buy an 1970 MB 6.3 300sel 3 years ago that was supposed to be one of the 2 they imported for Bob to drive at Bathurst. There was no documentation only old men who knew the history. Car was certainly different from std, MB corporate blue with bigger sump,  no sunroof and taller dif from factory. I believe the cars  arrived late from Germany so we’re not able to be scrutineered and driven that year. 

I passed on it as I couldn’t verify the romour and as it was not campaigned there was no race history. Did try to contact the family and crew but couldn’t get a response.   I kick myself a little now as it was a $50k price which would now be close to triple figures. Would have been good to verify and have some legend status in the garage.

10 minutes ago, Raven said:

This is off topic but large Peter Brook collection up for Auction this week end ..........Peter Champion collection 

No doubt they will sell quicker than the 30,000 AC/DC 50c coins that sold out in a few hours a couple of days ago - and are now on ebay....

8 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

No doubt they will sell quicker than the 30,000 AC/DC 50c coins that sold out in a few hours a couple of days ago - and are now on ebay....

No not that quick :Chuckle2:..............I am surprised at the current prices ,,,,may be things will go crazy at the end of the bidding ,,or possibly there is to much on offer at the same time ...

I would expect that Mr Champion has a reserve on every thing ...

I have seen this collection too very impressive ..

Archived