981 Aftermarket Exhaust Recommendations

7smurfs

I recently purchased a 981 base cayman that had nearly all the features I wanted... sports Chrono + sports steering, however, no sports exhaust which I am finding quite lacking at the moment.

Looking into aftermarket options, it's difficult to find any local 981 owners who have aftermarket exhausts and thereby making it even harder for me to make a decision on which one to buy let alone source one in general!

If anyone can help me out with recommendations of what exhaust and where to source it from local, it would be much appreciated!

So far I have scoped out

• PSE = $5.5k fitted = expensive, maintains OEM look however not quite worth the cost to me 
  • Borla = $4k = seems quite loud, doesn't have butterfly valve
  • Armytrix = $6k = seems just loud even with butterfly valve

14 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Following with interest as we are looking at 981 Boxsters at the moment......

Can you do the Fister mod or Gundo hack on the 981 mufflers????

Haven't heard of those mods but have heard of the popular Carnewal mod - however not aware of any aussies that do it :(

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/product/carnewal-gt-exhaust-modification-for-cayman-boxster/

9 hours ago, 7smurfs said:

Haven't heard of those mods but have heard of the popular Carnewal mod - however not aware of any aussies that do it :(

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/product/carnewal-gt-exhaust-modification-for-cayman-boxster/

OK, looks like the muffler configuration is quite different to the earlier cars, but do a search on Fister mod (be careful what you click on though, this search can come up with some interesting results ?) and gundo hack, they are basically bypass mods....

19 minutes ago, Raven said:

Not sure if it can be done on Cayman muffler but Fister D best value for money and easy to do ..

top Fister D ..................bottom stock

image.jpg

Doesn’t look like the Fister mod works with the 981 from my research.

Only hope is the carnewal mod - am trying to find a local Melbourne exhaust shop with the knowledge to do it! Otherwise may take the plunge with Borla.

Anyone here with a 981 and Borla can comment? 

My advice is dont cut up your standard mufflers - keep them in tact for when you sell it, the majority of Boxster shoppers probably arent looking for a loud car; non enthusiasts dont like modified cars

You might want to look at a cat back system that is switchable like PSE otherwise the exhaust may drone and get on your nerves, especially at speed on long trips. PSE sounds expensive but its a nice system and fully integrated - makes your car more desirable

If you want aftermarket at not super crazy prices look at Fabspeed or Cargraphic - you can find videos on youtube that  give you an idea of sound. When I say super crazy - people pay $10k plus for exhaust systems, I would suggest anything half decent is probably going to set you back $4 to $5k

20 hours ago, Ozvino said:

My advice is dont cut up your standard mufflers - keep them in tact for when you sell it, the majority of Boxster shoppers probably arent looking for a loud car; non enthusiasts dont like modified cars

You might want to look at a cat back system that is switchable like PSE otherwise the exhaust may drone and get on your nerves, especially at speed on long trips. PSE sounds expensive but its a nice system and fully integrated - makes your car more desirable

If you want aftermarket at not super crazy prices look at Fabspeed or Cargraphic - you can find videos on youtube that  give you an idea of sound. When I say super crazy - people pay $10k plus for exhaust systems, I would suggest anything half decent is probably going to set you back $4 to $5k

You make some good points there! 

Will most probably keep the stock exhaust - looking to be going down the Borla exhaust route at this point.

Hoping some fellow Aussies have an opinion on it on a 981!

On 06/10/2018 at 21:41, 7smurfs said:

@wirthO

That looks amazing!

Haha, I've come from a background with fairly loud exhausts, so moving to a 981 without PSE felt like I was missing out.
The car is a daily but my sound threshold is still quite high :)

Yeh it definitely needs the PSE upg minimum, I agreeeeeee! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/10/2018 at 16:13, 7smurfs said:

Have put down a deposit for the Borla exhaust for 981 Cayman with ETA of end of November for it arrive.

Fingers crossed it lives up to expectations!

Anyone know of a good Porsche workshop/exhaust shop in Melbourne?

Very keen to see (and hear) how this goes mate ?

• 1 month later...
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 13:43, 7smurfs said:

Just thought I’d update this - still waiting for the exhaust to arrive.. it has been delayed and now due 2nd week of Jan 😢

Hey 7smurfs - please do make sure you keep me posted on this mate, I have been looking at the Borla on line as well for my 981 S. Do you mind if I ask 1) does it come with an on / off or is it permanently ON and 2) what it cost in the end? Also, I have a guy good Porsche guy in Melb that can help install if required - he does a lot of work for many of the boys on here.  

1 hour ago, Higgo said:

Hey 7smurfs - please do make sure you keep me posted on this mate, I have been looking at the Borla on line as well for my 981 S. Do you mind if I ask 1) does it come with an on / off or is it permanently ON and 2) what it cost in the end? Also, I have a guy good Porsche guy in Melb that can help install if required - he does a lot of work for many of the boys on here.  

Will do! Definitely will be doing some sound clips etc

1) it is not valved, so permanently on

2) costed $2,880.00 landed through a dealer (American speed - speak to Fred, great guy!). Did quite a bit of researching and haggling through other dealers but, Fred had the best price!

Please PM the contact! Thanks :)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update guys!

Ended up finally getting my Borla exhaust and getting it installed.

Although it isn't a valved system it seems to act a bit like one depending on whether I hit sports/sport plus button or not.

No buttons = no burbles and quieter operation (still fairly loud)
Sports/Sports Plus = A lot of burbling and even louder exhaust noises!

Anyway, here is a short sound clip of revving it a bit!

981 Borla Type S.mp3

• 2 years later...
9 minutes ago, 5150 said:

Hey there 7smurfs.

I've got a 981 Boxster.

Just after an update on the Borla exhaust if it is comfortable as a daily drive, any annoying drone etc 

Cheers.

Would depend on your exhaust noise threshold! I had so many comments that it sounded like a Ferrari/Lambo, but it is quite loud.

I had a background of JDM and loud euro cars, so it wasn’t as jarring - however by the end of it (or getting older), I had switched it back to stock and quite enjoyed the stock/quiet sound before selling it and moving on