Blue tongue lizards...

Niko

I'm currently doing a drive around the Eyre Peninsula, and loving the place.

we are in Streaky Bay at the moment...

i can't get over the amount of blue tongue lizards that have been run over.

im not talking about main highways, maybe at times that is unavoidable,   but back roads, especially around here.

jesus you can see the little critters from half a k away on the roads

what in the world  would enter a persons mind to run over it.  

Why would you?

Following a Volvo wagon down the mountain yesterday and is slows and it slows some more, the hazards come on and it stops. Drag the Jeep and trailer/race car load to a stop and think WTF?

Then I see a little spiny waddle off to the left and into the scrub. Made me smile. ? Gave a toot and wave to the Volvo driver at the next T.?

You can see them from a Porsche but not the cab of a truck. Especially when you're distracted by the passenger getting her naked tan (who posted that ref?)

Anyway , here's to the memory of the dear departed reptiles & the like

8DBboly.jpg

Most people can barely drive let alone recognise objects ahead on the road. Especially a pair of grey nomads in an asthmatic Toyota towing an overloaded caravan that couldn’t change direction in time even if they did see it.

fun fact; blue tongues give live birth. I had to do a Caesarian on one. It’s weird.

10 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

fun fact; blue tongues give live birth. I had to do a Caesarian on one. It’s weird.

You really wanted to say viviparous didn't you?

I used to keep lizards for teenage entertainment. They loved the flies that found there way into our house. Nothing beats the sight of a fat skink chowing down

a big fat blowfly (or even housefly). Custard all over their snouts. 

To some extent it prepared me for the entertainment which is junior offspring! Actually my wife gave birth to live ones. The last one a la Caesar!

Last year the missus was in a hurry for work and opened the front door to have this bloke standing in the doorstep. She rang me asking how she can get out of the house. 'Try the back door and side gate mate' ?

2016-02-01-21-00-36.png

Most road kill happens from inattention and lack of skill, pretty much what causes all "accidents", sorry crashes!

The occasional Wallaby has jumped out in front of me or been in the middle of the road on my way home, I have easily avoided them on all occasions, yet just about every morning on my road there is fresh road kill.... you cannot avoid what you don't see......

@Niko, firstly, you travelled through our hood and didn't say hello.  We're not letting you out now.

Years ago, I worked for the SA Department of Primary Industries. A few times, around this time of the year, I worked in the Flinders Ranges on locust eradication.  That aside, one time, I had this guy working with me who was a bit of a douche.  We were driving along a road in the Blinman area, when all of a sudden, he veered across the road and ran over a sleepy lizard.  I proceeded to go off my chops at him.  That afternoon, I drove him back to our office in Hawker, and they shipped him home the next morning.  Intolerable behaviour. 

3 hours ago, ANF said:

Most road kill happens from inattention and lack of skill

If this is the case, there's going to be a heap of roadkill around when @LeeM gets his car back.  ? ? ? ? ⛹️‍♂️?

:Chuckle2:

59 minutes ago, Stew F said:

If this is the case, there's going to be a heap of roadkill around when @LeeM gets his car back.  ? ? ? ? ⛹️‍♂️?

Is that right smartass? ?

Who knows when I get the bloody car back! ?

1 hour ago, Stew F said:

@Niko, firstly, you travelled through our hood and didn't say hello.  We're not letting you out now.

Years ago, I worked for the SA Department of Primary Industries. A few times, around this time of the year, I worked in the Flinders Ranges on locust eradication.  That aside, one time, I had this guy working with me who was a bit of a douche.  We were driving along a road in the Blinman area, when all of a sudden, he veered across the road and ran over a sleepy lizard.  I proceeded to go off my chops at him.  That afternoon, I drove him back to our office in Hawker, and they shipped him home the next morning.  Intolerable behaviour. 

:Chuckle2:

Yes Sorry Steve we pushed it a bit getting to Streaky Bay, and didn't stop in your big smoke, and stayed at Port Pirie.   That place is an experience, :Speechless:

Mrs Niko was packed and ready to get out of there at 6.00 the next morning....

we are going through again this  Sunday big drive but staying at Hahndorf that night and home on Monday.   

Next time we will definitely make time for a coffee or cool refresher.   And stay in Adelaide.

cheers mate.   And apart from Port Pirie I love this place

6 hours ago, Niko said:

stayed at Port Pirie.   That place is an experience, :Speechless:

I wouldn't have recommended that dot on the globe ?? Just fortunate you didn't stay in Pt Augusta! 

Woulda been great to catch up Niko, yet next time let us know and we'll organise something

6 hours ago, Niko said:

Sunday big drive but staying at Hahndorf that night 

That's just around the corner from me, literally 5 minutes away. If you want a good meal, try the German Arms Hotel and have the Schweinshaxe. It's Oktoberfest in hahndorf. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I wouldn't have recommended that dot on the globe ?? Just fortunate you didn't stay in Pt Augusta! 

Woulda been great to catch up Niko, yet next time let us know and we'll organise something

thanks  Lee, we have actually stayed in Port Augusta on a previous trip, that's why we decided to stay at PP..  Your right they are both much of a muchness.

(bloody awful)   Definitely factor in a catch up with you blokes on the next one.  

This was a bit of a "let's get out of the rat race for a week or so" spur of the moment trip.

retired old farts can do that.....:)

56 minutes ago, Stew F said:

That's just around the corner from me, literally 5 minutes away. If you want a good meal, try the German Arms Hotel and have the Schweinshaxe. It's Oktoberfest in hahndorf

Excellent I will pop in all going well, and check it out...

ha ha so if I ask for Schweinshaxe they won't all piss themselves laughing at me I hope......:unsure:

33 minutes ago, Niko said:

This was a bit of a "let's get out of the rat race for a week or so" 

Half ya luck mate. I need to disappear for a few weeks ?

Just avoid Whyalla at all costs if and when you're up that way. That's Pirie and Pt Augutter combined! I've renamed it Whybother ?

15 hours ago, Niko said:

thanks  Lee, we have actually stayed in Port Augusta on a previous trip, that's why we decided to stay at PP..  Your right they are both much of a muchness.

(bloody awful)   Definitely factor in a catch up with you blokes on the next one.  

This was a bit of a "let's get out of the rat race for a week or so" spur of the moment trip.

retired old farts can do that.....:)

Excellent I will pop in all going well, and check it out...

ha ha so if I ask for Schweinshaxe they won't all piss themselves laughing at me I hope......:unsure:

Schweinshaxe is a roasted pork knuckle. Typical German meal. 

Oh, and I'll be in Melbourne on Sunday.

Yes mate, enjoy the GOR hopefully you don't get caught behind too many rentacar buzz boxes with the tourists driving at 15kmph, looking for kwala's and they don't understand what the "turn out's for slow vehicles" signs mean.  

Can be very frustrating especially on a Sunday.

enjoy though and have a great safe tassy drive. 

On 13 October 2018 at 1:09 PM, Stew F said:

Schweinshaxe is a roasted pork knuckle. Typical German meal. 

Oh, and I'll be in Melbourne on Sunday.

Just back from the pub, took your advice.  

(Which was also suggested by the lady running the place where we are staying)

VERDICT.    sensational.   

Cant beat local knowledge.

enjoy Tassie...

On 10/12/2018 at 8:29 AM, LeeM said:

Last year the missus was in a hurry for work and opened the front door to have this bloke standing in the doorstep. She rang me asking how she can get out of the house. 'Try the back door and side gate mate' ?

What a beauty!

We've had a skink in our lounge room for the past few years - Seems to be doing a good job of keeping the roaches in check. Then there is this little guy and his mate, who have the run of the house if we leave the screen door open:

2018-10-15_12-08-55

3 minutes ago, firstone said:

Your birds or random visitors?

Randoms, but it's always the same pair. The seem territorial...seeing one react to its reflection in my laptop screen one morning was priceless :LOL:

Archived