Finally ended my hunt for a manual 981 Cayman S !

Hi All!

My name is Simon and I've had my 981 Cayman S for about a month now, I'm definitely loving my first Porsche so thought I'd introduce myself to the community :)

I feel very lucky to have managed to get my hands on a manual example as I spent quite a while reading through the entire "How many manual 981s were delivered in Australia" thread here to which I learnt that there were only 16 delivered new! (stats stolen from the aforementioned thread)

981 Cayman S Manuals

2014       11 manual         128 PDK       TOTAL 139

2015        3 manual           38 PDK         TOTAL 41

2016        2 manual           15 PDK         TOTAL 17

TOTAL    16 manual         181 PDK        TOTAL 197

While I wasn't expecting to buy my car so soon, a Platinum Silver manual suddenly popped up on Carsales and even though the car was in NSW and I was in VIC, I knew I had to have it. Fast forward a few days and later and I was in Sydney picking the car up and preparing for the drive back to Melbourne! Definitely a memorable experience.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the car and am enjoying every drive I get to do in it, here are some pics I took the other day with my friend in his Agate Grey 981:

DSCF5842-NO-PLATE.jpg

DSCF5780.jpg

DSCF5782-NO-PLATE.jpg

DSCF5820.jpg

DSCF5831.jpg

DSCF5839.jpg

For the gurus out there, can anyone tell me what rims I have on the car? I can see that they weren't a standard Cayman option, I've found a few pictures of these wheels online but not much information which is making me question whether they are actually Porsche wheels or not!

Looking forward to seeing some fellow Porsche drivers out on the roads!

Simon

20 minutes ago, Simonnn said:

Hi All!

My name is Simon and I've had my 981 Cayman S for about a month now, I'm definitely loving my first Porsche so thought I'd introduce myself to the community :)

I feel very lucky to have managed to get my hands on a manual example as I spent quite a while reading through the entire "How many manual 981s were delivered in Australia" thread here to which I learnt that there were only 16 delivered new! (stats stolen from the aforementioned thread)

981 Cayman S Manuals

While I wasn't expecting to buy my car so soon, a Platinum Silver manual suddenly popped up on Carsales and even though the car was in NSW and I was in VIC, I knew I had to have it. Fast forward a few days and later and I was in Sydney picking the car up and preparing for the drive back to Melbourne! Definitely a memorable experience.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the car and am enjoying every drive I get to do in it, here are some pics I took the other day with my friend in his Agate Grey 981:

DSCF5842-NO-PLATE.jpg

DSCF5780.jpg

DSCF5782-NO-PLATE.jpg

DSCF5820.jpg

DSCF5831.jpg

DSCF5839.jpg

For the gurus out there, can anyone tell me what rims I have on the car? I can see that they weren't a standard Cayman option, I've found a few pictures of these wheels online but not much information which is making me question whether they are actually Porsche wheels or not!

Simon

Exciting, congrats! Look like sport techno rims done in black - 19's?

15 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Looks great mate, congrats.

No idea on the rims, but they look perfect to me ?

Thanks! Very happy with the purchase :)

7 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Exciting, congrats! Look like sport techno rims done in black - 19's?

That correct! They are 19s, black with a chrome lip. Do you know if these come in this colour from factory?

Hi Simon,

Welcome to 981 ownership - wheels look to be the standard 19” Cayman S alloys (order code 406) with optional coloured centres - the 981 brochure does not show an option for that particular wheel style to be painted in black but they could have been done at the factory as an Exclusive option or (more likely) aftermarket paint job.

29 minutes ago, Simonnn said:

Thanks! Very happy with the purchase :)

That correct! They are 19s, black with a chrome lip. Do you know if these come in this colour from factory?

Doubt Sport Technos came from the factory with an option of black …. more likely they are what Nytelfor above suggested.

Congratulations Simon, welcome to the Cayman Family.

your Croc looks sensational, and good on you for going manual.

keep your eye on the  SMT threads, now the weather is getting good there should be a few organised runs coming up soon.

get your mate in the Agate grey one to come along too.

the more CAYMAN's the better, plus it lifts the standard a bit too :P

5 hours ago, Niko said:

get your mate in the Agate grey one to come along too.

the more CAYMAN's the better, plus it lifts the standard a bit too :P

I'm the mate in the agate grey  :D
Less fortunate in that I couldn't get an S or a Manual but still in a 981 nonetheless!

Will definitely be joining in on the SMTs! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

On 10/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, Simonnn said:

Hi All!

981 Cayman S Manuals

DSCF5782-NO-PLATE.jpg

Simon

Simon, what a cracking car mate! Congrats. As others have said, keep an eye out on the SMT thread as there will be plenty of drives happening here in Vic over the coming months.

Wow, I must say I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome! It's great to see that the forum is so active, definitely looking forward to meeting everyone in person :) 

19 hours ago, vin said:

Congrats Simonnn... what a fantastic pickup. Platinum silver and manual... very rare indeed!! Is the spec otherwise what you wanted?  Looks great :)

To be frank I wasn't convinced by the colour based on the pictures the seller put online, however once I saw it in person I fell in love! I decided that the transmission was the most important buying factor in the end so colour didn't matter as much either way. Options wise it all worked out as all I wanted was an example with PSE and the sports steering wheel which this particular one had :)

• 3 months later...

Nice! I love the wheels...

when I first got into buying a Porsche I never liked or even rest drove a cayman.. 

i sold my first 996 and was looking to upgrade to a 997s 

i finally took a cayman s for a test drive and loved it.

they are a great car!

I spent a year looking for the colour combo in a 997 and was just about to buy a cayman when the right 997s popped up and I bought it.

If we ever sell the 911, I will defiantly test drive more caymans.. very capable car

congtats! Looks fantastic

Archived