Garage Find

Coastr

Gather round folks, for here is a story.

I moved into the house I'm living in nearly twelve months ago.   One afternoon I saw a neighbours garage open and a grey car cover on a vehicle inside.  The shape was unmistakeable and some black centered fuchs peaked out from underneath.   No idea on color, options, condition, year.   Time went by.   Some months later I saw the owner in the garage and introduced myself.  After polite chat I asked him about the car.  He was happy to pull the cover off and show me.  It was a 1983 911 SC and was in fantastic condition.   I was hoping for a 3.2 car and in red but it was undeniably a great car.  We got to talking - he owned it for a long time, but never drove it.  It had done about 100 miles in the last two years.  He started it up and drove it around the block occasionally but mostly just left it sitting there.  He had refreshed rubbers, new tail (to restore to original spec), paid for a panel-off detail, serviced it religiously but just never drove it.  I guess it is the very definition of garage queen.

It has an interesting options list - full leather including dash, sports seats, LSD, extended steering wheel with crest, and a few others which are hard to find.  It's completely unmodified original down to the radio, tyre valve supports and anodising and only missing the air compressor.  Documentation goes back to 1985 including information from previous owners.

After much conversation over a long period of time a mutual decision was reached and now I am up to 2 911 SCs in the fleet.  If one is good, two must be better, right?

9atvlKK.jpg

glLObMn.jpg

1pSQ2kB.jpg

9 minutes ago, Coastr said:

After much conversation over a long period of time a mutual decision was reached and now I am up to 2 911 SCs in the fleet.  If one is good, two must be better, right?

Hell yeah......that looks great!

You're a lucky man.

That is what separates the garage find from the barn find.  You could eat off the garage floor it was found in.

The car is actually quite dusty from the cover being on it..can't quite see in the photos but it does need a clean.

2 minutes ago, Coastr said:

That is what separates the garage find from the barn find.  You could eat off the garage floor it was found in.

The car is actually quite dusty from the cover being on it..can't quite see in the photos but it does need a clean.

I'm sure you get much enjoyment over washing it for the first 25 times...……...hose down, look at it, foam rinse, look at it again, start washing, another look...……………………………………….:wub:

6 minutes ago, edgy said:

Sweet find! This is in the states by the looks of? 

Yes that is where I am living at the moment.

I can't actually photograph the fleet as there's kind of a pacific ocean between the cars.

10 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Yes that is where I am living at the moment.

I can't actually photograph the fleet as there's kind of a pacific ocean between the cars.

You definitely have a fundamental issue preventing that photo shoot! 

Nice place to enjoy such a car! 

1 minute ago, KG said:

Nicely done Bruce!

Now you can drive down to next year's Luft. ?

This is my cunning plan if the stars align.  

However I recall saying I was going to get one and mod it, now I have the unmoddable ‘it’s only original once’ car.  Shows how useless I am at this modding thing, another car that owns me.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

Looks like we have twins?  I have a set of shark fins not fitted - thinking of putting them on

Close but not quite. Mine is an 84 3.2... I am a fan of shark fins, but clean like yours looks just perfect too. 

Would love to also own an SC like yours! Hopefully one day I can also sneak a glimpse of a find like yours lurking in a garage.

21 hours ago, Stepo said:

I'm sure you get much enjoyment over washing it for the first 25 times...……...hose down, look at it, foam rinse, look at it again, start washing, another look...……………………………………….:wub:

Technically you can say "car has never seen rain"?

21 hours ago, symsy said:

Lucky man .. great find .. have you checked the glove box ;)  enjoy and congrats 

Ha! no not yet.  I think I saw some generic licence and insurance docs in there.

21 hours ago, bwright_11 said:

Very nice!

After seeing this I think I might need to look into a tea tray spoiler for my SC!

To tell the truth, the tea-tray is my least favourite tail of the g-body cars.  But it was original factory option so it stays.  The PO replaced the rubber on the front and rear spoilers so it's super fresh.

20 hours ago, Airhead said:

No doubt bringing back when you come home. Great pick up.

One more Left hooker to terrorise the locals with.  I'll have to let one of them go at some point, at this point the '81 but we'll see how it goes.

19 hours ago, SteveF said:

Congratulations. Looks amazing. I’m going checking local garages!

You never think it's going to happen to you, yet one day....there it is.  I've actually garage-spotted a lime green G-body and found a street parked 964 in the neighbourhood as well, but never found the owners.   Riding a bike around is a good way to cover ground and yet give time to snoop.

The beauty is that you don't have 'competition' so you can just get to know the person and the car.  There's no way around paying fair price - anyone can use google these days, but at least you might have time to inspect and make up your mind.

19 hours ago, Niko said:

I hate you....

I take this with pride

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

Technically you can say "car has never seen rain"?

The PO claims to have never driven it in rain and I believe him, but it's 35 years old and 3 previous owners and been a local car the entire time.  So yes, it has seen lots and lots of rain at some point.  I will do my best to keep it out of said rain and snow.

Archived