Garage Find

Coastr

On 10/17/2018 at 11:39 AM, Coastr said:

To tell the truth, the tea-tray is my least favourite tail of the g-body cars.  But it was original factory option so it stays.  The PO replaced the rubber on the front and rear spoilers so it's super fresh.

In that case, if (or when) you:

a) bring the car back to Aus, and

b) decide that you really do want to mod it after all...

..I call dibs on the tea-tray!

Took the car for the first serious outing.  I wanted to drive highway 20 through the North Cascades - I settled on a long loop which crossed over through one mountain pass and came back through another.  465 miles and 10 hours of faultless running later and back home again.

Here's the route map because I know nobody knows where I am talking about.  This road will probably close this week or next when the first snow gets there.  I had to go before the weather closed in.

NmC6M0N.png

Here's a couple of photos along the way:

SOAmVKr.jpg

'Early Winters Spires' mountain

ZKwxz9b.jpg

The rather quaint little town of Winthrop, WA which is western themed down to the wooden boardwalkds.  Yes, an aircooled 911 is a ridiculously small car in comparison to everything else on the road.

7Iuwa2P.jpg

The footbridge from the RV Parking lot in Winthrop

CfHwRnF.jpg

wGDXRSp.jpg

9dUnlsh.jpg

'Fall Colors' shots in some two-horse town I forget the name of.

I did some go-pro timelapse...just working on hosting the video

[vimeo=640,360]296786992[/vimeo]

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296786992

Time lapse video - my first attempt at such a thing.  I had battery issues, mount issues, card-full issues.  I actulally missed the best part which was going over the top of the pass.  There was a big long train of cars (you can see it in the vid) that once past them all I didn't want to stop and fiddle with the camera in case they caught me again.  Still it shows both the western (wet) side of the pass and the eastern (dry) side of the mountains.

EDIT: I can't get video embedding with Vimeo to work.  Is it not supported?

Yes there is some very beautiful scenery around here - that's just one of the many peaks on that drive.  Kind of annoyed at myself for not getting the car a bit earlier very soon the mountain passes will be shut except for the main ones, and they'll be covered in road salt and grime.  Still I might be able to get some more in if there are some clear days.

10 hours ago, 3legs said:

Bloody hell even that Harley parked next to you looks almost as big as your car?

Nuts isn’t it.  The lifted coal rolling pickups get hammered along as well - apparently those things can corner and accelerate pretty well.  Or maybe the drivers are just nuts. It’s either them or hemp wearing organic Subaru types on their way to a trailhead on these roads.  Plus the occasional hybrid Camry that has drifted far from the natural habitat and is driving below the speed limit gawping at the scenery. 

Personally I like the scenery but you can enjoy twice as fast and still get the gist.

Just now, privatepang said:

You should do the sea to sky highway up to whistler! Rockies have some roads too 

Yeah I have driven it a few times, though never in a porsche or similar - it's a great road but the snow will be falling soon, and sitting at the border for a couple of hours while some mountie carefully looks at my passport is kind of a downer.  Multi-hour wait in the immigration queue in and out means I'd rather stick to the mountains south of the border which are essentially the same range anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the ve-hickle out for dinner...stopped by the seasonal lights..a bit more care with composition and could have had a real art shot.  But it was pretty cold so wanted to get back in the oily warmth of an air-cooled-heated cabin.

Wv0g5lv.jpg

Also went to the 'American Car Museum' in Tacoma-  also known as the LeMay museum.  LeMay was a garbage contractor who managed to collect over 3,000 cars.  This museum only has about 300, there's 500 in another place you can visit, don't know where the rest are.  Cool stuff but (obviously) american focussed.  Lots of interesting things to look at though.  You need to see a Duesenberg 'J' up close compared to the equivalent Ford Model T of the day to see how ridiculously in your face that kind of wealth was back in the day.

nHG4iya.jpg

I went to Canada last year, but let’s face it, it’s full of Canadians :)

In reality the border crossing is a PITA and my previous job had an office in BC so I checked out a lot of stuff then.  Washington has a lot of really beautiful places to see so that’s my focus.   Next fine weekend I get I’ll be going coastline instead of mountains.  But I could be waiting a while...

• 1 month later...

Well it was a rare sunny winter saturday today so I got the car out of the garage. 

First up was a coffee & breakfast meetup with a seattle porsche group.  Good laughs and reminder that people into these cars are really the same no matter where you meet them.

igw1NPD.png

The crew tipped me off to a close by station which sold the unicorn - ethanol free fuel.  So I went over there and found a guy with a brand new - as in 200 miles new - GT3.  Too new for number plates. Off to a track day in his brand new car, helmet on the passenger seat!

wAaANgb.png

While I was out and about and the sun was shining decided to go over Snoqualmie pass.

tWEP2Kq.png

Obligatory 'white car in white snow shots'

hsrbZKK.png

uQ77x2t.png

..and then back down again

Nss4kz8.png

car is back in the garage, as I'm off to the snow again tomorrow, but this time in the 4wd with the snowboard on the roof.

• 4 weeks later...

UXKr6pP.jpg

so I finally found some winter storage and set off to get the car there before a storm hit.  The guy I was meeting couldn’t get the door to open before the storm started.  But it’s away now and another 10cm of snow fell - it’s now entombed underground until it all melts.

• 4 weeks later...

A rare sunny saturday and nothing planned so I set off on a road trip.

First onto the Ferry and across the Sound towards the Olympic mountains and the Hood Canal, scene of todays drive.  The Hood Canal is not actually a man-made canal, but a very long inlet in the Puget Sound.  It's also the site of the worlds largest ocean floating bridge, and the majority of the US Nuclear Sub fleet.

At6K2iN.png

Last car on gets a wheel chock.

nysiCE0.png

Stop off at the Poulsbo Bakery for a box of baked goods - which is the best bakery I have found in the entire USA

4p9yIUU.png

Stopped in the woods for a quick, err, nature stop.   Hasn't snowed for three weeks but this area got so much it's still lying around wherever the sun doesn't get to.  It was a brisk 2 or 3 degrees here.

ztM5OTD.png

Back on the ferry again after a few hours of driving

1VMMDnk.png

Re-approaching the city where traffic spoils your fun

CM80IBj.png

All in a fun days drive but should have gotten away earlier as quite a bit of following sightseers in random Toyotas.

10 hours ago, edgy said:

Awesome! How long are you living in the states for? 

Prob back to Oz by Christmas, depends on many things.  No burning desire to leave, the land of the free certainly has its charms.  

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

Prob back to Oz by Christmas, depends on many things.  No burning desire to leave, the land of the free certainly has its charms.  

Cool, and yes it certainly does! 

Archived