Jcg1

Wide body set up

Hi guys,

‘I have a wide body and have just removed the deep dish wheels it came with to replace with Fuchs.

the wheels now stick inside the guard a fair bit and I don’t want to use spacers to push them out.

what suspension parts or hub etc do I need from a turbo to make mine push to the wheels out to the guard.

cheers

Turbo's had spacers as far as I'm aware. I had a couple which were maybe 22mm?? Someone who knows for sure will comment

I looked into this ages ago Jamie.

From what i can remember Turbo had both spacers, different 'hubs' (not the right word i'm sure) and wider offset trailing arms.  I looked into it as i was running spacers - but every man and his dog who has done a WB conversion has tried and most just end up running spacers or wheels built with different offsets.

If you can find some turbo trialing arms you are halfway there - but they are hard to find and $$$'y

10 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys,

‘I have a wide body and have just removed the deep dish wheels it came with to replace with Fuchs.

the wheels now stick inside the guard a fair bit and I don’t want to use spacers to push them out.

what suspension parts or hub etc do I need from a turbo to make mine push to the wheels out to the guard.

cheers

not possible to get wheels of the correct offset and size?

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Turbo's had spacers as far as I'm aware. I had a couple which were maybe 22mm?? Someone who knows for sure will comment

Yep ! 

If you want to fill the guards and no spacers, you are are going to have to run deep dish aftermarket Fuchs replica regardless of whether you convert to 930 suspension or not.

The only exception that I know of is the 930 front hubs from 1980 onwards where the "spacer" was inbuilt to the hub.

As others have said. If you are looking to avoid spacers, new offset wheels is the only option. The 930 turbo rear arms, if you can get them (as per previous are rare as rocking horse pooh and drug money expensive) wont get you all the way. 

Might look into after market arms to see if there is anything available.

i already have two sets of rims  both with brand new tyres so would prefer to make the car work then the rims change again

What size tyres do you want to be running?

Having been though this with two 77’s converted to widebody, the advice you have received above is good.-> new wheels will be cheaper than contemplating a turbo arm conversion (and you can never have enough sets of wheels !!!).

935 kits will help you adjust front track width (big $$$’s once you factor coil overs and it limits steering angle) but haven’t seen aftermarket arms/kit for the rear?

Share what you have in mind if you have found something?

The swing arms (US$1500 to $2000 each, bare,  if you can find them) require different mounting points or torsion bar tube (£1500 from design 911), probably sway bar and a lot of other incidental bits, plus shipping and fitting costs. And still need spacers.

I wanted to try and do it properly without the use of spacers.

@Jcg1 the factory installed spacers on a few models, 930 Turbo & 996 GT3 from the factory to name a few. I have used them for years on both track and road cars with 295 & 315mm tyres with no issues. My old track car used the standard SC banana arms with 75mm spacers and 315mm tyres - no issues in 10 years of heavy track work.

This is what a 930 without spacers looks like. The wheels are 17x9 and 17x11 and they are widened both in and out.

DSC07429

of course, the other option is convert the car back to a narrow body.

Another issue that you could come across is that when you remove the spacers, the studs are too long for the standard closed wheel nut.

That looks perfect. Exactly what I want in rims and stance. Who did the work on your rims to widen

1 hour ago, Jcg1 said:

That looks perfect. Exactly what I want in rims and stance. Who did the work on your rims to widen

They are Braid wheels, available in various sizes and offsets.

Weltmiester and Fikse also offer a Fuchs replica.

Just a note on wheel nuts, I have long studs and use open wheel nuts to bolt the wheel on, then use the standard nut as a "dress" nut to make it look standard.  If you do this, do NOT tighten the "dress" nuts too much or you will crack the end out, making them open nuts.

Ok guys just keeping you all in the loop.

i have ordered 60mm spacers for the rear and am running 45 in the front.