Wide body set up

Jcg1

On 19/10/2018 at 00:15, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys,

‘I have a wide body and have just removed the deep dish wheels it came with to replace with Fuchs.

the wheels now stick inside the guard a fair bit and I don’t want to use spacers to push them out.

what suspension parts or hub etc do I need from a turbo to make mine push to the wheels out to the guard.

cheers

What wheels did you remove? A year later would you happen to have them still?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/11/2018 at 21:19, Jcg1 said:

Ok guys just keeping you all in the loop.

i have ordered 60mm spacers for the rear and am running 45 in the front.

Hi @DHE11, @Jcg1 and others on this topic

I'm just getting into this thread because I'm looking at a 911 SC with aftermarket wide body (metal) and I'm very new to the modded space (and Porsches more generally). The car is running pretty significant spacers front and rear (probably similar to @Jcg1) plus much tyres that are much wider and have a bigger diameter than the standard wheels that came with the SC back in the day. According to NSW regulations, spacers of any sort are not allowed in any Australian State unless the manufacturer originally fitted them and wheels/tyres only have a limited ability to increase in width and overall track width. How do you guys running spacers and wider wheels get the cars through inspection at rego time? Engineers report or something else? Appreciate any advice you can give.

David

Sorry to say that modifying cars while trying to strictly comply with every currently legislation are generally at odds with each other... 

Have seen and heard of many examples here and elsewhere with people wanting to build “outlaw” cars and then worry about insurance and non compliance etc.
On my previous and current widebody i had sets of custom wheels made with deep offset and removed all spacers (but technically thats not ok either)

I would say if you want to ensure strict compliance with NSW regs you will be engaging and require an engineers report.

33 minutes ago, DHE11 said:

Sorry to say that modifying cars while trying to strictly comply with every currently legislation are generally at odds with each other... 

Have seen and heard of many examples here and elsewhere with people wanting to build “outlaw” cars and then worry about insurance and non compliance etc.
On my previous and current widebody i had sets of custom wheels made with deep offset and removed all spacers (but technically thats not ok either)

I would say if you want to ensure strict compliance with NSW regs you will be engaging and require an engineers report.

Thanks for your reply @DHE11. People seem to get these sorts of cars through standard rego checks which kind of surprises me as someone who's not run a modded car before (other than mild stuff like exhausts, spacers and the like) but holds some hope. Easiest way seems to make sure it is as similar to the period 930 Turbo (dimensions of spacers, wheel, guards) as possible - this aftermarket wide body mod was done locally but hasn't had any certification and there's no documents on it so I'm going to try and measure it up and see how close it gets. That way I might be able to get some comfort I'm not going to fail rego one day and be up for a lot of mods to get it certified. God only knows what the insurance situation is like! For full comfort, the engineer report seems safest, but a bit of a PITA.

I really hope I get there as I love that wide body look and sound (SSI with Dansk SS 2 out muffler) and this car seemed pretty good mechanically with recent Autohaus Hamilton engine rebuild and replacement of lots of hoses, bushings, fuel tank etc. Gearbox was tight and synchro seemed ok. No funny clonks or looseness. Bit of rust in the front panels down low near the doors so that needs some further investigation to see how far it extends.

Does $65k sound reasonable for an imported 67k mile (supposedly) car with the only documentation being the engine rebuild? I'm not looking for provenance here!  I am looking for a car that will give me some tinkering opportunities.

18 hours ago, consideringa911 said:

Thanks for your reply @DHE11. People seem to get these sorts of cars through standard rego checks which kind of surprises me as someone who's not run a modded car before (other than mild stuff like exhausts, spacers and the like) but holds some hope. Easiest way seems to make sure it is as similar to the period 930 Turbo (dimensions of spacers, wheel, guards) as possible - this aftermarket wide body mod was done locally but hasn't had any certification and there's no documents on it so I'm going to try and measure it up and see how close it gets. That way I might be able to get some comfort I'm not going to fail rego one day and be up for a lot of mods to get it certified. God only knows what the insurance situation is like! For full comfort, the engineer report seems safest, but a bit of a PITA.

I really hope I get there as I love that wide body look and sound (SSI with Dansk SS 2 out muffler) and this car seemed pretty good mechanically with recent Autohaus Hamilton engine rebuild and replacement of lots of hoses, bushings, fuel tank etc. Gearbox was tight and synchro seemed ok. No funny clonks or looseness. Bit of rust in the front panels down low near the doors so that needs some further investigation to see how far it extends.

Does $65k sound reasonable for an imported 67k mile (supposedly) car with the only documentation being the engine rebuild? I'm not looking for provenance here!  I am looking for a car that will give me some tinkering opportunities.

If its currently registered in NSW and no intentions of changing that, and the place that is currently servicing it issued last pink slip, then continuing that arrangement is a good strategy. That should go a long way towards mitigating some of the concerns you have above. If you plan to tinker and modify even further then accept youre always going to be on the fringe of compliance and enjoy the car. Expect buying a car priced lower due some modifications which may make it less appealing to others looking for full doc, matching numbers etc already is providing some margin for future expenses if you do need to correct /comply with something later.

The shop you refer to is one of the best, so given they have just rebuilt the engine, you could get some comfort by talking with them and see if they would do PPI and then if you bought it, doing the servicing and future rego checks. If the answer is yes your halfway there depending on the PPI.  
As far as the insurance question, I track my cars (a lot) so what I have is really protecting transport/fire and theft. Shannon’s, Famous etc do a lot of modified classics, race cars etc so are familiar with them, but for a registered road car you could shop around.