Electrical gremlins - overhaul options?

cafe_racer

Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of work to my 1981 911SC Targa, i love it and the engine is rock solid.

I have done a bit of work to it recently, new carpets, door pockets, refurbished seats, refurbished targa roof (sent off the the US (man that was pricey) and new suspension from elephant racing...

I am still being plagued by some electrical gremlins and it seems as one is fixed another pops up.

I had an alternator fail, this was fixed and wound for a higher amperage.  There have also been a few other bits and pieces that have been fixed but i'm worried it's just a band aid solution.

Right now the power windows aren't working and the stereo is shitting itself a bit and the horn works intermittently.

So my question is, do I keep fixing these things as they pop up or do is there another solution, can I have all electricals replaced and modernised, maybe a classic retrofit fuse panel?  Or do I just accept it's an old car and stuff will break every now and then?

I'm also considering a classic retrofit A/C system soon and am concerned i'm over capitalising on this car.

These cars are / should be a labour of love ... if you are concerned about over-capitalising then you've chosen the wrong marque and age of vehicle ... :Chuckle2: the air conditioning will be pricey but if you intend to keep it it will make life more bearable in the summer months ...

Gremlins and niggles are part and parcel of these cars ... it seems that bad grounds are cause for a number of electrical issues ... as are the age of parts .... e.g.. power window motors ...

Unfortunately you just have to accept this as part of ownership and view it as the price paid for being lucky enough to own one of these beauties ... you could replace the wiring loom but unless it's a total goner then that'll be an expensive exercise... ?

Dreamr - I do love the intricacies and the odd issue which I can troubleshoot, but a lot of these gremlins seem to be ramping up.  I might just have to get better at fixing stuff myself!  And I think your are right on the A/C, just trying to find someone in Melbourne who has installed it more than once.

Thanks LeeM I have a look at the Kroon wiring, 

Wire harness for tunnel SC RHD 1978-1983 - 679euro

Wire harness Main (luggage compartment) 911SC RHD - 960euro

Wire harness for engine SC 78-81 - 689euro

I'm also guessing getting it all installed would not be a cheap thing, however I can imagine it would be a great way to add another 30 years of life to the electrics!

"Right now the power windows aren't working and the stereo is shitting itself a bit and the horn works intermittently."

OK dont panic as these 3 could all be just easily fixed problems:

Horn fix is most likely to be this contact thing (91161352100) under the steering wheel, it wears out in one position:

91161352100lra.jpg

Power windows / radio could be the round electrical plugs from the main loom to the doors have fallen out - this has happened to me & recently I had a round plug disconnect itself under the dash.

In other words its usually things like switches & plugs, not the actual wiring loom, that are the problem.

Save your money & spend it on the new air conditioning

: 

1 hour ago, Zelrik911 said:

"Right now the power windows aren't working and the stereo is shitting itself a bit and the horn works intermittently."

OK dont panic as these 3 could all be just easily fixed problems:

Horn fix is most likely to be this contact thing (91161352100) under the steering wheel, it wears out in one position:

91161352100lra.jpg

Power windows / radio could be the round electrical plugs from the main loom to the doors have fallen out - this has happened to me & recently I had a round plug disconnect itself under the dash.

In other words its usually things like switches & plugs, not the actual wiring loom, that are the problem.

Save your money & spend it on the new air conditioning

: 

Thanks mate, i'll chekout some of the more obvious places like the electrical plugs from the main loom to the doors and under the dash.

Hopefully this is an easy fix and the last of a few recurring problems!

Archived