Oak Green GT3 Touring - I Want to Swap for 991.1 GTS!

Bardman

I remember a few years ago I was about to buy a Golf R.  I was trading my GTi.  I added all the options I wanted and instantly the car went to $80,000.  The options added $20000.  I asked why and it was because they all had luxury car tax applied.  Unsure if this is still the case but I bet that tax has something to do with the high cost of options here.  Like @DJM said it was enough to make me walk away.  I ended up buying a C Class Merc instead.  My first Merc.  Best decision I ever made.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right luxury car tax 33% plus 10% GST is added on all those options as well. We are really getting flogged by the LCT. 

Where possible its cheaper to import options from the US or UK and put them on later if you can be bothered. 

10 minutes ago, donR said:

You're right luxury car tax 33% plus 10% GST is added on all those options as well. We are really getting flogged by the LCT. 

Where possible its cheaper to import options from the US or UK and put them on later if you can be bothered. 

Sorry for side tracking this thread.  My advice to all who ask me now is "buy the highest standard spec car you can afford and do not add options", (Porsches may be a little different I know) as when it comes time to sell, options mean nothing in the scheme of things.  Buyers compare car A with car B and the higher price for the one with options will in most cases lose out unless they are the same price.  Always go for the model with the most bits included as standard when buying new.  

Now back on theme sorry.

On 30/10/2018 at 23:59, DJM said:

You have to be among the privileged few to be granted your PTS wish......all for a frankly ridiculous $20k.  

Lol - I had someone contact me through carsales who already had a Touring and he just wanted to know how the hell I managed to get PTS when he was flat out denied.  Its a bizarrely opaque process, and I think the fact that I had a deposit down for a Touring before anyone in Porsche Australia even knew there was going to be a Touring helped in that regard.  I was sending the dealer spyshots and telling him that this was the new Touring and he had no idea what it was.  I have Rennlist to thank for helping me through the PTS process - and Chris (WGA) in particular to thank for me getting in early on the Touring action.

Its fair to say that in many ways Porsche still feels like a family business that has grown bigger than its structure can effectively manage when you see the nonsense that goes on with regard to PTS, Exclusive Options (where two of the same requests for the same customisation have different answers), and the whole allocation process.

On another topic, I hadn't really thought of offering the GTS swap option on Carsales, but see no reason not to do that there also, so will update the ad.

36 minutes ago, Bardman said:

Its fair to say that in many ways Porsche still feels like a family business that has grown bigger than its structure can effectively manage

They've been experts as wallet gouging ever since they stop carving wooden bucks.

Where there's a wallet there's a way , eh?

iOf7yPb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok, so car was sold today, so am glad to have wrapped the process up.  I wasnt driving it so that it could be a "new" car to the next owner, so happy to have everything concluded.

I did not manage a swap in the end, but did pick up a 997.2 C4S which I drove home tonight.  Remarkably clean for a 9 year old car.  So far first impressions are good.  I had originally in mind to go for a 991.1 GTS, but the only available cars either had the wrong colour (Rhodium silver), or had the aero kit with the wing which for me ruins the best angle of the car (and looks a bit "rice" on a non GT car).  Happy to be in the 997 with hydraulic steering and this may seem strange but I really like the fact that it has an actual hand brake.  Will be taking it down to baby bunting shortly to get some child seats fitted!

Congrats on the sale. Hope you got a good price. The car deserved it.

FYI, I just sold my Touring in Europe too.

Gradually cleaning out my garage in preparation for my return to OZ in a few months time.

19 hours ago, Gas said:

Congratulations on the sale. 

Lost count how many times I looked at the ad. 

Thanks - you should have bought it!  🙂

16 hours ago, WGA said:

Congrats on the sale. Hope you got a good price. The car deserved it.

FYI, I just sold my Touring in Europe too.

Gradually cleaning out my garage in preparation for my return to OZ in a few months time.

Thanks Chris.  I just lost stamp duty on the sale, which I think is a good outcome for both me and the buyer.  The sales process was a lot longer than I was expecting / hoping though.  I guess the overall market for people willing to spend 400k on a second hand car is not necessarily that large.  I saw your post on rennlist about selling your two GT3s, from memory they are not that easy to sell in Europe at the moment?

Archived