I smell a rat

Last week a company listed 2 356s on gumtree for what seemed liked VERY reasonable prices. The company was listed as a car dealer (no name) in NSW

tried calling few times, no response and I get the overseas diversion beeps then a message in Italian

The two cars were taken off Gumtree a day later

Overnight, a company with the name of 3MD Autos in Maitland NSW listed a heap of VERY cheap cars. For example, Jag E type for $18k. A 190SL for $42k. A soft window targa for $26k.A 912 for $16k. Again, a NSW number which when you call, goes to overseas and then an Italian message followed by an English one

Webpage is https://www.3mdautosales.com

Beware, looks dodgy and too good to be true

5 hours ago, rafikdous said:

Last week a company listed 2 356s on gumtree for what seemed liked VERY reasonable prices. The company was listed as a car dealer (no name) in NSW

tried calling few times, no response and I get the overseas diversion beeps then a message in Italian

The two cars were taken off Gumtree a day later

Overnight, a company with the name of 3MD Autos in Maitland NSW listed a heap of VERY cheap cars. For example, Jag E type for $18k. A 190SL for $42k. A soft window targa for $26k.A 912 for $16k. Again, a NSW number which when you call, goes to overseas and then an Italian message followed by an English one

Webpage is https://www.3mdautosales.com

Beware, looks dodgy and too good to be true

Classic phishing website / ad

I would hope people are not too dumb to fall for these but I guess there is one born every minute.  I personally know someone who got ripped off on an eBay purchase of a car from overseas.  He lost a ton of money he could not afford.  I never understood the thinking that went behind it.  

I've recently been hacked on eBay. I havent logged in there for probably a year or so, and only knew because I couldn't log in and there were 2 other passwords needed to access eBay. I contacted them by phone regarding a camera that I had apparently sold and the buyer complained because I hadn't sent it yet, and they looked into it and noticed there were 2 more identical sellers names to mine and thousands of dollars worth of items remaining undelivered yet paid for in full. 

They've refunded all the buyers which is good, yet my account had a black mark against it and had to shut it down. I hate buying online, as I've been ripped off once with a $300 watch (got my money back) as you never know who is on the other end

Yeah if you have old accounts and have a habit of re-using same email address / passwords you’re going to fall into this type of thing.

The scammers hacking old eBay (and other selling platforms) accounts are making millions and it is basically impossible for them to get caught and prosecuted. Because the countries they are in don’t care.

My advice to anyone reading this - today - go and set up different passwords for your different accounts, and set up 2 factor authentication where you can (that’s where you add your phone number and they text you a code when you login from a different computer).   Also don’t use public computers to access your accounts or any computer the house teenager has access to.

Lee’s example here is incredibly common and while you’re unlikely to lose any money, you can lose accounts and have endless hassles signing up for new ones.  If you are a frequent seller on eBay you might discover your last months of earnings miraculously went to someone else’s bakk account and in that case, you will not get it back.

If it helps, imagine a couple of thousand robot burglars walking your neighbourhood every day looking for unlocked windows/doors.  That’s what you’re up against.  Make your passwords long and random, update accounts for 2 factor verification, and consider using a password manager to properly randomise and monitor your accounts for re-use.   And close any old accounts you don’t want/need anymore.

Had a similar issue to @LeeM my eBay account I infrequently used and someone changed all delivery details to a US address but also managed to hack my paypal account and tested some small purchases which I picked up on and blocked it prior to all of the iPhones being shipped they had ordered. ?. I cancelled both my ebay and paypal accounts. 

I work in the credit card/payments industry and you would be surprised at the lengths fraudsters go to rip people off in a syndicated systemic process. To me they tend to go for both corporates and general folk, don’t care how they get it.  The on shore ones do very well we have one in Qld and some brothers in WA at the moment that have stolen/bought hundreds of real ID details creating accounts and buying consumer goods same day, which easily converted to cash before we can block accounts.

Of course these individuals are well known to the local cops but difficult to catch. ?

agree with @Coastr 2 factor authentication whilst sometimes a bit of a hassle it’s the best protection hence why so many are using ie Qantas FF as they had a major hacking issue.

@Tips

If I advertise on Gumtree, I usually get the scammers trying it on, though I always mention in the ad that I will secure their I.P address and haven't had a message or text since. Does that actually do anything, or just a coincidence? 

I'm sure these pricks can work out some way around it

@LeeMgreat strategy these opportunistic fraudsters (the less sophisticated) know that they can’t mask their IP. Certainly there are ways. Most just use no contract phone numbers, Gmail and bogus address as the standard and often don’t think about  IP without some effort/cost, but I’m not an IT guy. We use IP tracking as one of our fraud detection tools for credit card applications. You don’t get the first one but once known u block the rest. Syndicated fraudsters use IP blocking/ rolling addresses or burner devices they use once. If they are getting you for a few grand a $20 phone is nothing to throw away each time.

...and don't rely on Google Password manager (you know the one - the one that says "You want to remember your login for this site" ?) as it is all stored in the cloud.  Anyone who gets access to your google password then gets access to all your stored passwords - ebay, paypal, bank....everything that you have ever saved.

Happened to a colleague recently.   He could sit there and watch the funds be transferred and the items being bought and sold.   However, as they hacked his google account, they also left their "find my phone" setting on - so he could follow them around Brisbane.  The police caught up with them at least.

20 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I've already bought them all.. transferred all my money last week!

And you used Instant Global Payments to send the money to the scammers quicker and cheaper than ever?

2 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@Coastr

"consider using a password manager to properly randomise and monitor your accounts for re-use"

Bruce - can you recommend a password manager, that will work with both a windows computer & iphone/ipad

Brian

I use LastPass - has windows/Mac/iOS client.  It is cloud stored but is strongly encrypted.  IMO the advantages of cloud storage outweighs local stored options as it means you’re actually going to use it.  

Password manager + 2 factor is pretty good these days.  And don’t fall for a phishing scam.

IP addresses are weak detection these days but merely mentioning it probably signifies you as an unsuitable mark.   Scammers intentionally put spelling and grammatical errors into ad copy because it weeds out the educated and not-gullible folk.  Those who don’t detect or ignore bad spelling and grammar are better marks, it cuts down on the response rate and saves the scammer time.

3 hours ago, ByronBayChris said:

However, as they hacked his google account, they also left their "find my phone" setting on - so he could follow them around Brisbane.  The police caught up with them at least.

If that was me, they'd be glad the fuzz got there before I did! 

3 hours ago, ByronBayChris said:

...and don't rely on Google Password manager (you know the one - the one that says "You want to remember your login for this site" ?) as it is all stored in the cloud.  Anyone who gets access to your google password then gets access to all your stored passwords - ebay, paypal, bank....everything that you have ever saved.

Happened to a colleague recently.   He could sit there and watch the funds be transferred and the items being bought and sold.   However, as they hacked his google account, they also left their "find my phone" setting on - so he could follow them around Brisbane.  The police caught up with them at least.

And you used Instant Global Payments to send the money to the scammers quicker and cheaper than ever?

I got it.

Archived