FOUND - old worn engine mounts - 996/993/964

dan_189

Hey all!

Anyone have a pair of old used engine mounts from a 996/993/964 they are about to throw out that I could please have?

The more stretched the better - i'm going to cut them up anyway 

Happy to pay postage to get them to me :) - please let me know

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Simonk said:

I have some 997 ones that are soft, not broken. Are they the same? They’re still in the car but I have replacements ready. Was going to change them myself but chickened out.

Thanks Simon, I'll check PET2 to see if they are the same. 

Its a daunting job but it's actually really really easy and there is a failsafe, if there is tension on the nut then the weight of the engine isn't on the jack. 

The part numbers are specific 997 ones whereas the 996 mounts are the same for a 964, 993 and 996.

You should try and do the job its quite easy, an air wrench helps to get the nut undone as well! If you need a step by step or a hand with it let me know!

Did mine last weekend.

Hi Dan,

You are more than welcome to my 964 mounts, they have done 150k kms and they came out a couple of weeks ago. If you want them, send me a DM and i'll shoot you my mobile and you can come around and grab them. 

2 minutes ago, poli84 said:

Hi Dan,

You are more than welcome to my 964 mounts, they have done 150k kms and they came out a couple of weeks ago. If you want them, send me a DM and i'll shoot you my mobile and you can come around and grab them. 

That would be awesome - thanks! PM you now

Cheers!

13 hours ago, dan_189 said:

The part numbers are specific 997 ones whereas the 996 mounts are the same for a 964, 993 and 996.

You should try and do the job its quite easy, an air wrench helps to get the nut undone as well! If you need a step by step or a hand with it let me know!

Did mine last weekend.

I should give it a crack. I read a recent horror story that turned me off the idea :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, Simonk said:

I should give it a crack. I read a recent horror story that turned me off the idea :ph34r:

Do share! Broken bolts? I undid the main nut with a rattle gun makes the job much easier. 

7 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Do share! Broken bolts? I undid the main nut with a rattle gun makes the job much easier. 

LoL, Gerard might know the story... He had an issue with incorrect torque settings. I don't have a torque spanner so could potentially stuff it also so I'd need to buy one.

5 minutes ago, Simonk said:

LoL, Gerard might know the story... He had an issue with incorrect torque settings. I don't have a torque spanner so could potentially stuff it also so I'd need to buy one.

Ahh yes, Gerard filled me in on that over the weekend! Kinchrome torque wrench is $100 from bunnings - use my set all the time! 

1 minute ago, dan_189 said:

Ahh yes, Gerard filled me in on that over the weekend! Kinchrome torque wrench is $100 from bunnings - use my set all the time! 

Good to know, I was wondering where to get one from. I find myself wishing I had one more often these days so will be a good investment.

2 minutes ago, Simonk said:

Good to know, I was wondering where to get one from. I find myself wishing I had one more often these days so will be a good investment.

They are great and if you get bored and want something to do re-torque your lug nuts! Nothing more satisfying than hearing a torque wrench click! :D 

47 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

They are great and if you get bored and want something to do re-torque your lug nuts! Nothing more satisfying than hearing a torque wrench click! :D

Used mine for the very first time for that very purpose a couple of weeks ago, as part of my cleaning the inside of the rims process.  Yes, very satisfying click, once you've worked out how to set the tension, after finding out what the correct setting is (130nm for those that don't know....).

1 hour ago, Simonk said:

haha yeah... it's one thing to have a torque wrench, another to use the correct torque setting ?

1 hour ago, dan_189 said:

That's the one I use too, I use it so infrequently that I need to remind myself how to set the torque each time. 

Quick update, @poli84 kindlely gave me his old 964 mounts but they are unfortunately unusable for what I'm doing so back on the hunt for any old 993/996 mounts.

Please let me know if anyone has an old pair that are destined for the bin! 

5 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Quick update, @poli84 kindlely gave me his old 964 mounts but they are unfortunately unusable for what I'm doing so back on the hunt for any old 993/996 mounts.

Please let me know if anyone has an old pair that are destined for the bin! 

Ok Dan I'll bite, I've been losing sleep - what the fuch do you want them for??

4 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Ok Dan I'll bite, I've been losing sleep - what the fuch do you want them for??

Haha good question, well! I bought 964RS engine mounts but because of the design and lack of locating square nut on the bottom of them they allow the main bolt to tilt forward when they are done up. So my plan is to cut off a section of the standard 993/996 mount and replace the bottom 5mm washer with 5mm of the 993/996 mount Shaft with the square locating nut! If that doesn't make sense I'll put together a diagram :)

3 hours ago, 901er said:

Ha ha,  finally someone asks...

I was waiting for someone to ask! 

13 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Haha good question, well! I bought 964RS engine mounts but because of the design and lack of locating square nut on the bottom of them they allow the main bolt to tilt forward when they are done up. So my plan is to cut off a section of the standard 993/996 mount and replace the bottom 5mm washer with 5mm of the 993/996 mount Shaft with the square locating nut! If that doesn't make sense I'll put together a diagram :)

I was waiting for someone to ask! 

Thanks, now I can get on with my life Dan. Good luck with the re-engineering …. if all else fails I'm sure Porsche sell 996 mounts:ph34r:B)

1 minute ago, Troubleshooter said:

Thanks, now I can get on with my life Dan. Good luck with the re-engineering …. if all else fails I'm sure Porsche sell 996 mounts:ph34r:B)

Thanks!! 964 ones work but I need that extra part just for piece of mind. 

• 1 month later...

Archived