Jump to content
Skidmarks

Porsche model cars

Recommended Posts

A few years back a very good mate of mine gave me his entire collection of highly detailed Porsche die cast scale model cars as he was shifting house and thought he'd better get them to my sons who were making deeply concerning noises about really liking Ferrari's.

Anyway, recently I was reading an article and up pops something about a rare model set of Jagermeister cars - a 934 and 935 and I thought hang on, I think we've got one of those.

So I go into my son's room and yep, we've got it.

Next thing I know, said son hits Google and about 10 minutes later I hear a yelp from his room and he shouts, "Dad, you know that model of mine (note the possessive)?"  "yes ..." "well it says here that the last set sold at auction for $6500.00!!!

 Next thing, both boys are doing a stock take of all the other cars and come up with values between $100 and $2500 for some of the others.  One we have is the Pink Pig complete with a box that when you open it, has a device that emits the sound of a snorting pig ...! Classy.

In a sign that our DNA is coded to protect rare things of value, the boys then proceed to box up the lot, and stash them away in the cupboard telling me that we need to make sure they don't get damaged as they might be worth even more in the future.  Sounds like certain segments of the Porsche "collector" market doesn't it?

We then embarked on a discussion as to who's cars they were  - we settled on them each owning a half share on the basis that they, perhaps validly, said they were given them. And anyway, I've apparently got enough ...

I then had the "why put them away and not look at them or use them" debate with them.  They had me cornered when they said "Dad, we can't drive these ones and we know what they look like".

Who knew "toys" could be worth that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would be surprised at the value of toys and the types of toys that are worth serious coin ,,,as Lee mentioned  $52 K for a tin robot ...Comic book that sold for $3.2 million ,,,miss printed stamps and coins worth Millions ,,,it is astonishing 

"Another Example" the very first Star wars Boba Fett action figure that fires the rocket out of his jet pack ,this was taken of the shelves due to potential eye injures with in a few weeks off it going on sale in 1980 ,,,This is worth an astonishing $150 k in original packaging and unopened ,,,it seems crazy but their are people who buy this stuff and are prepared to hand over big money..

Hang onto them Mate you never now your luck and they could be worth some serious coin in 20 years time ..

Over the weekend there was a big Porsche Auction at Sotheby ,s many rare P Cars when for huge money ,,,,but the one that really got my attention was the 2018 993 Turbo Project Gold car that Porsche recently built to show car their Classic series .......This car when under the hammer for just over $4.3  million Aud  in under 10 minutes ..

I would say Porsche is going to start doing more of these unique one off Bespoke custom builds if they can pull that sort of money ..

https://www.caradvice.com.au/698186/porsche-911-project-gold/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

A few years back a very good mate of mine gave me his entire collection of highly detailed Porsche die cast scale model cars as he was shifting house and thought he'd better get them to my sons who were making deeply concerning noises about really liking Ferrari's.

Anyway, recently I was reading an article and up pops something about a rare model set of Jagermeister cars - a 934 and 935 and I thought hang on, I think we've got one of those.

So I go into my son's room and yep, we've got it.

Next thing I know, said son hits Google and about 10 minutes later I hear a yelp from his room and he shouts, "Dad, you know that model of mine (note the possessive)?"  "yes ..." "well it says here that the last set sold at auction for $6500.00!!!

 Next thing, both boys are doing a stock take of all the other cars and come up with values between $100 and $2500 for some of the others.  One we have is the Pink Pig complete with a box that when you open it, has a device that emits the sound of a snorting pig ...! Classy.

In a sign that our DNA is coded to protect rare things of value, the boys then proceed to box up the lot, and stash them away in the cupboard telling me that we need to make sure they don't get damaged as they might be worth even more in the future.  Sounds like certain segments of the Porsche "collector" market doesn't it?

We then embarked on a discussion as to who's cars they were  - we settled on them each owning a half share on the basis that they, perhaps validly, said they were given them. And anyway, I've apparently got enough ...

I then had the "why put them away and not look at them or use them" debate with them.  They had me cornered when they said "Dad, we can't drive these ones and we know what they look like".

Who knew "toys" could be worth that much.

My dad had a friend who collected all sorts of toys.  He never opened them just kept them stored in their boxes.  He had hundreds of things from action figures to model cars and everything in between.  At the time I thought what a waste of good money but now I am often wondering what happened to them all and wishing I had thought differently way back then.  I would love to know if he ever hit the jackpot.  I have about 100 Beanie Kids that my daughter collected when she was little.  We used to buy one a week.  They are all stored in drawers in her old room with their ear tags still attached.  We even bought tag protectors as the tag attached added to their value (apparently). Some of them are worth a few bucks now but nothing in the thousands ($25 - $30 comes to mind).  Sunny the 1st one is worth a bit but we missed out on that one.

 @Skidmarks now that you have gone public with the value of these cars, what will you do if your friend now wants them back?  An interesting dilemma that would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raven said:

 

Over the weekend there was a big Porsche Auction at Sotheby ,s many rare P Cars when for huge money ,,,,but the one that really got my attention was the 2018 993 Turbo Project Gold car that Porsche recently built to show car their Classic series .......This car when under the hammer for just over $4.3  million Aud  in under 10 minutes .

 Someone won the pissing contest for the ugliest belle at the ball ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

My dad had a friend who collected all sorts of toys.  He never opened them just kept them stored in their boxes.  He had hundreds of things from action figures to model cars and everything in between.  At the time I thought what a waste of good money but now I am often wondering what happened to them all and wishing I had thought differently way back then.  I would love to know if he ever hit the jackpot.  I have about 100 Beanie Kids that my daughter collected when she was little.  We used to buy one a week.  They are all stored in drawers in her old room with their ear tags still attached.  We even bought tag protectors as the tag attached added to their value (apparently). Some of them are worth a few bucks now but nothing in the thousands ($25 - $30 comes to mind).  Sunny the 1st one is worth a bit but we missed out on that one.

 @Skidmarks now that you have gone public with the value of these cars, what will you do if your friend now wants them back?  An interesting dilemma that would be.

As it happens, I told him.  Reminded him of the gifting and the twin orange car set and said they’re worth a bit now - he says “don’t tell me” ... so of course I did!

Gave him the opening to take away the cars he’d given to my 2 young sons who are like god children to him ... Funnily enough after that line he was very definite in saying no!! 

He was fine about it and even reminded me that at the time he said to the boys that the Jagermeister set would be worth something in the future - and that I’d done a fair few freebies for him so he was at peace.

As was I ...

Hey, remember Pez lolly dispensers?  Found one the other day whilst cleaning some stuff up.  Google to the rescue.  This one is from 1966 and worth a cool 1200.  Its going for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a kid in the 80s Transformers were the go. Packing up my in laws place (who are massive hoarders) find a big box filled with mint NIB figures, about 35 of them.

Told the old girl they were all worth about $1000 each now, packs them up without saying anything and back into storage. That was 10 years ago. She’d bought them from a local jewel that was closing down in the 80s for $2 a pop. Those little price gun stickers were still on some of them. Most of them are pushing $2k now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate sold a load of original Transformers when the new movies came out. Paid the deposit on his house. 

I've a load of old Star Wars toys, probably 100s. Defo not 1000s. All played with and scuffed up. 

I lost loads of toys after my parents split and I moved a lot. They were either charity shopped or went to young cousins etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t hang onto them too long though.  The people who pay big bucks for collectibles eventually die/start to downsize.  The 80s toys are big right now but that won’t last forever.  Nobody can tell where the top of the market is, but you can definitely say where the decline is in 30 years or so.  Lots of stamp collections are going down because people don’t care and collections are being sold off in estate sales etc.

i knew some guys who started buying up Star Wars toys when Disney started reissuing large amounts.  Yeah, never going to be worth anything, only the original stuff will be.  The stuff people actually played with and enjoyed and attached memories to.

A friend of mine says his carefully looked after Donkey kong is worth over a grand now.  I believe him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Someone won the pissing contest for the ugliest belle at the ball ?

I second that.  I had a look at the current Exclusive Turbo.  Could NOT stand the color no matter how incredible  the underlying car is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Coastr said:

Don’t hang onto them too long though.  The people who pay big bucks for collectibles eventually die/start to downsize.  The 80s toys are big right now but that won’t last forever.  Nobody can tell where the top of the market is, but you can definitely say where the decline is in 30 years or so.  Lots of stamp collections are going down because people don’t care and collections are being sold off in estate sales etc.

i knew some guys who started buying up Star Wars toys when Disney started reissuing large amounts.  Yeah, never going to be worth anything, only the original stuff will be.  The stuff people actually played with and enjoyed and attached memories to.

A friend of mine says his carefully looked after Donkey kong is worth over a grand now.  I believe him.

100% - however being hoarders the value seems to be irrelevant to them.

Being heavily involved with another hobby (pinball) where the bottom fell out of a type of machine that people around retirement age were collecting, i've seen it first hand. Thousands down to hundreds in the space of 3-5yrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...