CAMS helmet changes 1/1/19

TwoHeadsTas

Hopefully someone will have done this homework already.  I need to buy a helmet - it's been 30 odd years since I last competed in a club trackday, and my old helmet, which would not pass today anyway, got lost somewhere along the way in between.  I only intend to do club level stuff - hill climbs, possibly up to super sprints.  From what I interpret, this is 1.4 level, which will only require AS1698 / ECE22 etc level helmets ongoing (at least until next rule change), whereas if I did 1.2 road / rally (eg Targas) as of 1/1/19 I would need a HANS device and compatible helmet.

Does this sound right?

cheers

Peter

47 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Hopefully someone will have done this homework already.  I need to buy a helmet - it's been 30 odd years since I last competed in a club trackday, and my old helmet, which would not pass today anyway, got lost somewhere along the way in between.  I only intend to do club level stuff - hill climbs, possibly up to super sprints.  From what I interpret, this is 1.4 level, which will only require AS1698 / ECE22 etc level helmets ongoing (at least until next rule change), whereas if I did 1.2 road / rally (eg Targas) as of 1/1/19 I would need a HANS device and compatible helmet.

Does this sound right?

cheers

Peter

My reading of CAMS regs - Yes, you are correct AS1698 is good for Speed events.

Rally/Road - Multi Club requires Hans device from 1/1/19 and for Club from 1/1/20.

Note - Hans device requires suitable Helmet and requires suitable 5/6 point harness.

To anyone, do refer to CAMS regs for interpretation and any changes.

Cheers, Mark.

The interpretation of the rules by those above seems on track. It would be worth considering a HANS compatible helmet. Worth having an option to add in future or be future proofed if they become mandatory for the events you are looking to do. As said you will as a minimum need a HANS compatible 5-6 point harness. I tend to wear mine at all events now. Be a bugger to go into a wall head on and have it sitting in your kit bag. 

HANS devices are worth the investment. You can also look at some of the Simpson devices which strap onto your torso and sholders if you're more likely to have a side impact, however they cannot be substituted for a HANS if regulations requires them.

Not promoting second HANS devices, but if you do pick up an older model HANS you will need to make sure your harness is compatible.

OK, I had trouble interpreting Club v Multi-club.  It seemed to be that Multi-club is effectively an open event - you can enter as long as you are a member of CAMS affiliated club, whereas Club means your club + other specifically invited clubs.  Is this a fair interpretation??

Bloody CAMS regs are as hard to interpret as the Tax Legislation ? 

From my understanding those with L2S and L2NS Licence have till 2020 ........Those with clubman and national licence are currently using them ..

I run a stand 21 club frontal head restraint .......from memory it was around $500

open cockpit car so these have been compulsory for some time for me ..

Helmets AS1698  and Snell 2015 ..........like they say $100 head then get a $100 helmet :Chuckle2:

Does anyone know the pros/cons or running a harness and HANS in a non-cage car?

I've seen some negative comments on running HANS in a car without a cage if its a roll-over situation.

HANS seems a no-brainer if you can run it - but i guess my question is, Do i have to install a cage to run HANS?

19 hours ago, Teutonic said:

The interpretation of the rules by those above seems on track. It would be worth considering a HANS compatible helmet. Worth having an option to add in future or be future proofed if they become mandatory for the events you are looking to do. As said you will as a minimum need a HANS compatible 5-6 point harness. I tend to wear mine at all events now. Be a bugger to go into a wall head on and have it sitting in your kit bag. 

Good point on the harness, I know with the Schroth harnesses I run, I did have to spec the HANS compatible for drivers side (I just have a regular 6 point in the passenger side) 

2 hours ago, wilburforce said:

Does anyone know the pros/cons or running a harness and HANS in a non-cage car?

I've seen some negative comments on running HANS in a car without a cage if its a roll-over situation.

HANS seems a no-brainer if you can run it - but i guess my question is, Do i have to install a cage to run HANS?

The main argument I have heard around no cage, is if you are harnessed into the seat and roll the car and the roof comes in, you are held upright in the seat and may suffer worse injuries than if you had a lap sash belt on and could slump to one side. I guess it’s a case of weighing up where the greatest risk of injury is. 

The next step with HANS is whether you have seats with lateral head restraint “wings” for side impact. For tarmac rallies it’s a no brainer.  I run the lot. I would probably also tend to run a harness and HANS in a non caged car. But along with the no cage thing, if you aren’t at least a 5 point harness (crotch strap) people will point to risk of submarining. Hard to please everyone :) 

• 2 months later...

You could get away with the helmets you mentioned but I bought a hans compatible helmet for my go kart and after 2 sprint days decided I wanted a harness and hans if I was going to keep at it. 

If you don’t get a harness you should still look at a simpsons device and a hans compatible helmet. They don’t cost a lot more anyway. 

You cant put a price on your spinal cord!

If you do go the ece22 route make sure it has it written on the helmet - for some reason they don’t all have stickers and I know a few people who have had issues getting through scrutineering with ece22 motorbike helmets due to lack of markings   

Enjoy it mate, it’s the best fun!

In regards to the harness with no cage - my logic is that in 95% of crashes the cars don’t roll over - so I chose to protect my neck and on the off chance I roll I’ll deal with it then. 

The roof on most cars is still pretty strong. If your hitting the lid with enough force, the cage can still move or your seat can get pushed. Any accident with that much force and your in strife anyway . But you’d be in a hell of a lot more strife from the initial impact with no hans before you even get a chance to have issues from the roof pushing in on you.

Buy a bucket seat (no Wings to keep it road drivable, Velo make adr approved seats which will get you past most police even tho not technically engineered) & a 6 point harness with save your neck in pretty much all accidents your likely to have.

Or just run a Simpson device if you don’t want to modify your car, or at minimum a go kart neck brace (turned backwards), and one of those seat belt wratchet things (CG lock).

Archived