Jump to content
symsy

What kinda hose you got ?

Recommended Posts

Fat , thin , webbed , ribbed ..How long is it ?

Perhaps Im also looking for one I that retracts into a carrier?? 

Suggestions , examples , anyone gotta good suppliers

You can also brag about the head of your hose if you like ...

The $10 bunning special in the rental property has to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Mine has a gold anodised bell end.

??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I am a bit of a Hose guy ,,,,like hosing my concrete down with socks and thongs on holding a beer ........its the Wog in me :Chuckle2:

And I have a lot of concrete over 500 square meters worth .........Wog again 

 

The used to run the Pope storm kink resistant and brass crimped ends etc in 30m length over $100 ,,,,but have drifted away from them as the anti kink is a load of crap they still will kink just no as bad ..And I found that the rubber the hose is made of starts to go all soft and gooey after 12 months in the sun and becomes a real mess..life time guarantee yeh right ,,,its not 

I current just use the pope true blue its about a third of the price and still has the crimped ends only plastic ,,yes it kinks and that Sh#ts me but thats life first world problem ,,,these are only $35 for a 30 meter ..

both available at Bunnings 

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

84b85881-421a-4bdd-bc5d-58bdeb31b092.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Symsy, I am your saviour.?

I have been washing cars since 1968.  I have used many hoses.

99.9% of those hoses have been shite.:PissedOff:   

I recently purchased two new ones from Bunnings supposedly good quality and almost kink resistant.    BULLTISH!

I was pissed off with always trying to get the kinks out of the old one I use.:PissedOff:

I hooked one up for the garden for the missus, and I hooked the other up for where I wash the BBC in my drive.

Looked forward to a stress free car wash.....didn't happen.   Kinked up again and again...:Speechless:

So I. immediately stuck that brand new hose onto the nature strip so someone else can fight with thing.

So I bit the bullet.   www.hoselink.com.au....HALLALULYA B)

They are not cheap, be warned, but are fantastic.    Go by the instructions and lay the hose out before using in the sun for a few hours.

They also supply great nozzles.   see the photos.

I ordered it on line, from what is an all Aussie company.   Items arrived a few days later.   I was wetting myself in anticipation of a a kink free car wash..:Sweating:.

AND....YES YES YES...Sensational. :CoolDance:  I haven't been so excited since Collingwood got beaten in the grand final.   NO KINKS.   NO LEAKS.   FANFERKINTASTIC.:wub:

The nozzles are fantastic, great quality.   I still haven't used the little high pressure nozzle, because the hand held type gun does a lot of jobs including high pressure.

Your normal tap fittings will not fit these hose set ups.    All the fittings etc come with the hose if you but the kit.   They do not leak either.   Fittings also very high quality. 

IMG_1993 2IMG_1994 2IMG_1995 2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Niko said:

OK Symsy, I am your saviour.?

I have been washing cars since 1968.  I have used many hoses.

99.9% of those hoses have been shite.:PissedOff:   

I recently purchased two new ones from Bunnings supposedly good quality and almost kink resistant.    BULLTISH!

I was pissed off with always trying to get the kinks out of the old one I use.:PissedOff:

I hooked one up for the garden for the missus, and I hooked the other up for where I wash the BBC in my drive.

Looked forward to a stress free car wash.....didn't happen.   Kinked up again and again...:Speechless:

So I. immediately stuck that brand new hose onto the nature strip so someone else can fight with thing.

So I bit the bullet.   www.hoselink.com.au....HALLALULYA B)

They are not cheap, be warned, but are fantastic.    Go by the instructions and lay the hose out before using in the sun for a few hours.

They also supply great nozzles.   see the photos.

I ordered it on line, from what is an all Aussie company.   Items arrived a few days later.   I was wetting myself in anticipation of a a kink free car wash..:Sweating:.

AND....YES YES YES...Sensational. :CoolDance:  I haven't been so excited since Collingwood got beaten in the grand final.   NO KINKS.   NO LEAKS.   FANFERKINTASTIC.:wub:

The nozzles are fantastic, great quality.   I still haven't used the little high pressure nozzle, because the hand held type gun does a lot of jobs including high pressure.

Your normal tap fittings will not fit these hose set ups.    All the fittings etc come with the hose if you but the kit.   They do not leak either.   Fittings also very high quality. 

IMG_1993 2IMG_1994 2IMG_1995 2

 

and you can use it to tow your car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Goldmember!

It doubles as a key. Luckily for me there was a pot of gold at the end of the unfortunate schmelting accident :<)

btw "lifetime" guarantees on the hoses are a laugh. I've worn out many of the expensive ones; yes you get a few more years from the better ones but if they sit outside (I have acres to water and a fire hose that stays outside uncoiled all summer) they deteriorate like every other type of plastic on the planet. At least mine don't end up in the waterways.
btw #2
"Gold" fittings look nice, but the plastic retainers ALWAYS break, unless you are someone who keeps hoses on display only. You probably have a bottle of brasso handy too ;<)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also on acres - I go through at least 5 hoses a year. I find the costco 30m ones decent bang for your buck. I've gotten 2 summers out of a few of those. Poor tap placement (bought the house, didn't build it) means that all of my hoses bar two sit in full sun most of the day.

Blows me away that those cheapo soaker hoses (the green ones) last years, and what seems like a fairly well made hose will only do one or two seasons.

I've also found for full sun, the dearer the hose, the sooner it breaks down. They go gooey rather than brittle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I've also found for full sun, the dearer the hose, the sooner it breaks down. They go gooey rather than brittle.

Don't you hate that? Same deal with handles on garden tools.
Never happened with grandpa's implements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niko said:

OK Symsy, I am your saviour.?

I have been washing cars since 1968.  I have used many hoses.

99.9% of those hoses have been shite.:PissedOff:   

I recently purchased two new ones from Bunnings supposedly good quality and almost kink resistant.    BULLTISH!

I was pissed off with always trying to get the kinks out of the old one I use.:PissedOff:

I hooked one up for the garden for the missus, and I hooked the other up for where I wash the BBC in my drive.

Looked forward to a stress free car wash.....didn't happen.   Kinked up again and again...:Speechless:

So I. immediately stuck that brand new hose onto the nature strip so someone else can fight with thing.

So I bit the bullet.   www.hoselink.com.au....HALLALULYA B)

They are not cheap, be warned, but are fantastic.    Go by the instructions and lay the hose out before using in the sun for a few hours.

They also supply great nozzles.   see the photos.

I ordered it on line, from what is an all Aussie company.   Items arrived a few days later.   I was wetting myself in anticipation of a a kink free car wash..:Sweating:.

AND....YES YES YES...Sensational. :CoolDance:  I haven't been so excited since Collingwood got beaten in the grand final.   NO KINKS.   NO LEAKS.   FANFERKINTASTIC.:wub:

The nozzles are fantastic, great quality.   I still haven't used the little high pressure nozzle, because the hand held type gun does a lot of jobs including high pressure.

Your normal tap fittings will not fit these hose set ups.    All the fittings etc come with the hose if you but the kit.   They do not leak either.   Fittings also very high quality. 

IMG_1993 2IMG_1994 2IMG_1995 2

 

Now thats a review and what a nob.. im impressed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be doing something different.  I have used Nylex triple stripe non kink hoses and one of them is about 20 years old.  Used it about 10 minutes ago and still good.  I have mine on a good quality Nylex hose reels.  I use Pope water guns with the brass fittings.  I always roll up the hose onto the reel after every use.  I hook the reel over the tap pull out the hose all the way and start using it.  No kinks no problems.  I have one for the front yard and one for the back.  When I read "I am happy that my hose has lasted two seasons" I thought wow I would be disappointed if a hose did not last 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niko said:

OK Symsy, I am your saviour.?

I have been washing cars since 1968.  I have used many hoses.

99.9% of those hoses have been shite.:PissedOff:   

I recently purchased two new ones from Bunnings supposedly good quality and almost kink resistant.    BULLTISH!

I was pissed off with always trying to get the kinks out of the old one I use.:PissedOff:

I hooked one up for the garden for the missus, and I hooked the other up for where I wash the BBC in my drive.

Looked forward to a stress free car wash.....didn't happen.   Kinked up again and again...:Speechless:

So I. immediately stuck that brand new hose onto the nature strip so someone else can fight with thing.

So I bit the bullet.   www.hoselink.com.au....HALLALULYA B)

They are not cheap, be warned, but are fantastic.    Go by the instructions and lay the hose out before using in the sun for a few hours.

They also supply great nozzles.   see the photos.

I ordered it on line, from what is an all Aussie company.   Items arrived a few days later.   I was wetting myself in anticipation of a a kink free car wash..:Sweating:.

AND....YES YES YES...Sensational. :CoolDance:  I haven't been so excited since Collingwood got beaten in the grand final.   NO KINKS.   NO LEAKS.   FANFERKINTASTIC.:wub:

The nozzles are fantastic, great quality.   I still haven't used the little high pressure nozzle, because the hand held type gun does a lot of jobs including high pressure.

Your normal tap fittings will not fit these hose set ups.    All the fittings etc come with the hose if you but the kit.   They do not leak either.   Fittings also very high quality. 

IMG_1993 2IMG_1994 2IMG_1995 2

 

Thanks Niko,

Just went to the Hoselink website & they currently have 22% discount on hose reels & they throw in jet washer with orders over $150. Ordered 2 x 30mtr retractable hose reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, symsy said:

Now thats a review and what a nob.. im impressed

Retired old farts have plenty of time up their sleeve...

6 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Thanks Niko,

Just went to the Hoselink website & they currently have 22% discount on hose reels & they throw in jet washer with orders over $150. Ordered 2 x 30mtr retractable hose reels.

Good stuff, you won't be disappointed.   The quality of their product is very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Niko said:

Retired old farts have plenty of time up their sleeve...

Good stuff, you won't be disappointed.   The quality of their product is very impressive.

#MeToo X 1 30 Mtr hose & reel (you should have organised a commission or rebate program before your recommendation) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Windsor289 said:

#MeToo X 1 30 Mtr hose & reel (you should have organised a commission or rebate program before your recommendation) ?

do his reels actually work ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Niko said:

Good stuff, you won't be disappointed.   The quality of their product is very impressive

Yep have one of those agree with Niko.

my other hose is a pope (5 year warranty) as per Raven. Bought one 5 years ago but is now my 4th hose. Yep I’m the cheap bastard that keeps his bunnings receipts and the packaging and returns the hose for a new one on warranty every 14 months when it breaks?. Never an issue  but you needed to copy the receipts as the thermal paper went white afte 3 months. Now they email them to you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I must be doing something different.  I have used Nylex triple stripe non kink hoses and one of them is about 20 years old.  Used it about 10 minutes ago and still good.  I have mine on a good quality Nylex hose reels.  I use Pope water guns with the brass fittings.  I always roll up the hose onto the reel after every use.  I hook the reel over the tap pull out the hose all the way and start using it.  No kinks no problems.  I have one for the front yard and one for the back.  When I read "I am happy that my hose has lasted two seasons" I thought wow I would be disappointed if a hose did not last 10 years.

My best hose so far has been the same one. I've had them 15 plus years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, firstone said:

My best hose so far has been the same one. I've had them 15 plus years. 

I have an old black Nylex that is still going strong after 15+ years. While some of the newer ones I have have gone sticky on the surface and look like crap. 

In the case of hoses (but possibly not hoselink which I have not used) they dont make them like they used too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy old fire hoses on the reels that are used in buidings and carparks etc.  Usually 35-40 metres, very kink resistant, last a long time and are cheap per metre...approx $100-$150 including the nozzle, hose and reel.  19mm diameter = lots of potential water flow.

They're usually chucked out as they have a use by date or may weep water which is no good in a building but okay for the household.

I have one at each end of the house, and I can almost get one end of the hose to the other end of the house to give me coverage in case of a bushfire.  I have one near the shed and it'll go all the way around this structure for the same scenario.

across the river for you Symsy.....https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm-beach/building-materials/fire-hose-reels/1199767433

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, symsy said:

@GC9911  where was the 22% discount?

The 30mtr hose reel, $229 instead of $293.50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2018 at 07:39, Raven said:

Ok so I am a bit of a Hose guy ,,,,like hosing my concrete down with socks and thongs on holding a beer ........its the Wog in me :Chuckle2:

And I have a lot of concrete over 500 square meters worth .........Wog again 

  Ah the old 'Wog broom' ?? 

 I only heard that one not long ago onsite with a bunch of Italian/Greek concreters (who else does concreting?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×