FLICKR about to limit photo storage.

Niko

For those of you who use Flickr for storage of your photos and to transfer to the forum, be advised

Your free account is to be limited to 1000 photos only.

To save more photos you must be a financial member which is $49.99 per year which will give you unlimited storage.

I'm not sure if that is AUD.

Still a lot cheaper than what Photobucket wanted, when it without notice pulled the rug out and removed all the photos that had been posted to a secondary site (pricks)

I think for the first year they are also offering a 30% discount to become a " pro member"

They are a business in the end, and I have to say a lot easier to use than what Photobucket was.

From the Flickr email:-

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr will no longer be able to upload new content after Tuesday, January 8, 2019 unless they upgrade to Pro. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit. Members may always choose to download content over the limit at any time prior to these dates.

Time to get busy with some housekeeping.

This will keep happening over and over as the land-grab for users is over and businesses are figuring out how to keep their doors open.

$50 a year is not *too* bad if you have a lot of photos.  Dropbox doesn't allow hotlinking anymore.  Of course you can sign up directly for an S3 account for pennies on that but doesn't come with all the easy uploading and hotlinking.

I ended up just embracing Microsoft One Drive. Does cost $ but is a useful back up tool for all data and providing remote access to any of your files, and also allows you to share photos. Run the app on my phone so all pics backup plus via the app you have full access to all files you store on one drive plus you can also access from a browser. 

23 minutes ago, Airhead said:

This cloud stuff! You give 'em your stfuf and your testicles and sooner or later they're gunna squeeze one or both.

Yep I'm being a dinosaur here, I put absolutely zero on or in the cloud...even though that does sound like an inviting offer...:Chuckle2:

The reality is that it costs money to store data.

Somewhere or at some time you will need (or be made) to pay for it. The amount of data being uploaded to social media sites is astronomical. Whilst it may seem like this is a service being offered for "free", the fee for such privilege is that all of your data (and information) is being on-sold to pick up the tab. Also, there is no guarantee that it will be available for you to re-claim or use if you decide to remove it, let alone try to keep it private.

There are plenty of ways out there to store (and share) your data, just don't be fooled that any of it is offered for "free" - because it ain't! 

Wise words Huge and Tazzie, I have the external storage unit for all my photos, but I only use Flickr to all ow me to post up on PFA.   

If there are changes coming Huge, hopefully it may include posting photos up without having to use an outside service...

that would solve all the problems...

10 minutes ago, Niko said:

Wise words Huge and Tazzie, I have the external storage unit for all my photos, but I only use Flickr to all ow me to post up on PFA.   

If there are changes coming Huge, hopefully it may include posting photos up without having to use an outside service...

that would solve all the problems...

Watch this space! 

I pay $3.50 per month to have my own domain, with it comes multiple email address (where my info is never shared or onsold..) and photo page/ web page abilities. You use free photo hosting and email accounts at your own peril....

Although I hardly post pics here anymore as it is still a real PITA! Any update where this does not happen would be most welcome!

I'm still not quite sure why some people find it difficult to post images, but regardless we are obviously wanting to make it as easy as possible so hopefully these changes are well received. :)

Archived