Jump to content
Airhead

Removing caked on brake residue

Recommended Posts

What's the best way to remove 30 years of caked on brake dust from the inside of fuchs?

Tried a few products but it ain't easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Wire wheel/brush.

Scratch the paint a bit I'd reckon. Where's my face mask  Bit of asbestos in there maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Scratch the paint a bit I'd reckon. Where's my face mask  Bit of asbestos in there maybe.

Always wear protection. Put some 21st century paint on them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$1.00  spray cans of degreaser from super cheap and a kitchen scrubbing brush 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are three options (with the general philosophy to be as gentle as possible while still removing the dirt):

Mechanical abrasion

Water or media blasting

Chemical treatments

I've used a combination of chemical products and high pressure spray in the past with great results.  There are a bunch of aggressive chemical cleaners (no doubt terrible in a waterways/environmental sense) that do quite a good job of removing brake dust/pad material.  I've found the P21S brand to be good without being as aggressive as some of the others so for years of caked on material you'd probably have to do multiple applications.  Detailparadise.com.au is a great forum for getting info on cleaning products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I used sugar soap mixed 50 50 with water and sprayed it on. Left it overnight then scrubbed with a dish brush. Repeated 3 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tips said:

CT18 bilge and engine bay degreaser, dishbrush, karcher dirt blaster nozzle and 30 min to do 3 scrubs per wheel.

 

This combo. worked well for me on my cookie cutters.  

 

What is it with these concourse guys? Everything perfect, even matching shoes and brushes ?

2 hours ago, firstone said:

Well I used sugar soap mixed 50 50 with water and sprayed it on. Left it overnight then scrubbed with a dish brush. Repeated 3 times.

Sugar soap has micro abrasives.  Not safe for shiny surfaces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are 911 style Fuchs anodised like the 928 ones? If so any chemical cleaners will destroy the coating! If not continue on :)

@Tips do you mean CT14? I use this on normal alloy wheels, but just mild detergent and water on my 928 Fuchs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ANF said:

Are 911 style Fuchs anodised like the 928 ones? If so any chemical cleaners will destroy the coating! If not continue on :)

@Tips do you mean CT14? I use this on normal alloy wheels, but just mild detergent and water on my 928 Fuchs.

Correct Adam my bad I use both for different jobs, the ct14 is the degreaser the 18 works a treat under guards and engine bay for general cleaning every couple of months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tips said:

Correct Adam my bad I use both for different jobs, the ct14 is the degreaser the 18 works a treat under guards and engine bay for general cleaning every couple of months

I have both as well. I got a new set of used wheels recently and they had never been cleaned on the inner rim, came up like new with very little effort and the CT14. Amazing that some people will sell wheels in such a state!! :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

What is it with these concourse guys? Everything perfect, even matching shoes and brushes ?

Harvs u must be a judge, u notice the small things ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many different methods. Might have to try a different one for each wheel.

Question Part 2 . How do you get the wax spray off that was applied at the factory. Over spray from under neath the car that has got onto the wheels. Lots of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a tough one. The wheels I did were white walls and had a soluable blue wax on the white rubber to protect it. Definately wasn’t hot water and soap as recommended by the supplier ?.

Of course most wax is heat based melting point and without seeing what it looks like I can only suggest boiling water poured over it from a kettle or potentially heat gun and scraper and rags. Either way a slow and laborious job that will consume a few hours and half a case of beer ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the surfing world we heat the old wax in the sun, scrape that off and use methylated spirit for the last of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tips said:

That’s a tough one. The wheels I did were white walls and had a soluable blue wax on the white rubber to protect it. Definately wasn’t hot water and soap as recommended by the supplier ?.

Of course most wax is heat based melting point and without seeing what it looks like I can only suggest boiling water poured over it from a kettle or potentially heat gun and scraper and rags. Either way a slow and laborious job that will consume a few hours and half a case of beer ?

This is on the wheels. Used a heat gun and there's a fine line between softening the wax and turning it into a gooey mess that sticks even harder. Looks like I'll have to put aside a few more days next week. ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8 November 2018 at 19:34, Airhead said:

So many different methods. Might have to try a different one for each wheel.

Question Part 2 . How do you get the wax spray off that was applied at the factory. Over spray from under neath the car that has got onto the wheels. Lots of it.

You could try Prepsol.  Safe for use on paint.  It's used  for removing polish and silicone waxes prior to painting.  Spray on liberally with a trigger bottle then wipe off with an open weave, lint free cloth.  Keep replacing dirty rag with a clean rag or you will be putting wax back on where you wipe.  Plenty of ventilation and gloves recommended.  You might even take a liking to the aroma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got all wheels finished. Crud all gone. Brake residue/dirt/wax. Used degreaser/turps/wax remover/prepsol/swear words.

Hand cut shiny bits with Autosol. Used a wheel buffer to cut inside and out with a good quality cut paste. Finished off with Mothers carnuba wax.

They're not brand new but I'm happy with the result. New centre caps to be fitted.

rP3RYOG.jpg

83G5hcC.jpg

k7HTqeh.jpg

New tyres next as these are 10 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you find a good source for centre caps?  I've just lost one. 

And have you decided what tires to go for?  I'm looking for something with better than 'average' grip in wet or dry and am not too concerned about mileage.  Coming off track tyres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Converted my second 3.2 to RE003's because I was impressed with both the wet and dry grip on the first one.  Readily available and inexpensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the substrate the powder has adhered to, a chemical wheel cleaner in a one off heavy application is fine. You are better using this method with high pressure water rather than scrubbing the surface. As a brush will cause fine abrasion scratches which then gives the dust further adhesion capabilities rendering the wheel worse over time.

fraz is spot on with that sort of wheel cleaner or you can look at something like black steam undiluted.

my process would be wash the wheel first, then chemical wheel cleaner, high pressure, potentially a second application dependent on condition, otherwise then final removal with trisol /prepsol and cloth.

long term management you may look at a wheel ceramic protection. You can easily do yourself but ensure the coating is wheel specific as they are heat resistant.

cheers

jb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sydr said:

Did you find a good source for centre caps?  I've just lost one. 

And have you decided what tires to go for?  I'm looking for something with better than 'average' grip in wet or dry and am not too concerned about mileage.  Coming off track tyres.

Got a set from Sierra Madre.

ioP0Q81.jpg

Good quality. https://sierramadrecollection.com/911-930-74-89-/Wheels-Hubcaps/Center-Cap-Ring-Clip-Black-p18565.html

Haven't decided on tyres yet. Has Toyo Proxes so might stay with them. Very aggressive tread pattern but only need a good all round road tyre as won't be doing any track work with this car.

6 hours ago, JB said:

Depending on the substrate the powder has adhered to, a chemical wheel cleaner in a one off heavy application is fine.

long term management you may look at a wheel ceramic protection. You can easily do yourself but ensure the coating is wheel specific as they are heat resistant.

cheers

jb

Thanks JB. The brake residue was up to 4mm thick in places so a slow process. The wax was original factory overspray and a real pain.

The polished rims are still a bit cloudy so need more work.

Ceramic coating a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×