Drags in a 987.1 CS Manual

ugame

Hit the 1/4 mile last night as I always have in any worthy toy.

All to date have been in the 14s bracket.

And.....I'm STILL in a 14s car lol.

I just couldn't bring it together. The only part I can blame on the car is the fact that the tires are aged and I'd guess hard.

I found it really hard to not light them up, even with PSM turned on.

I only tried launching in 2nd once, and that was a terrible launch and the slowest run of the night.

Note: My car does NOT have sports chrono, or PASM.

Fastest time was 14.245 which makes it 0.022s faster than the 2008 350Z Roadster I once owned ? and slower than my 1989 300ZX Twin Turbo, which was a total lemon and a POS haha.

BUT....as said.....I don't blame the car. It was all me. I didn't want to slip the clutch so I was jumping off it, and coming off the throttle to correct loss of traction, rather than burning through a clutch in 1 night.

Sadly, i was there to take on my mates Jaguar XF, which on paper, the CS should be a fraction of a second faster (with a perfect run) with both in the mid to low 13s.

Him being V8 auto, but a much bigger car, he just ran easy 13's all night long. Point and shoot. Push the pedal and go.

After 5 runs I stopped as the last run "felt" good, but turned out to be a 14.7xx so I called it a night, rather than keep trying until something breaks.

All good fun still, and I KNOW the Cayman is by far the best car I have ever owned, and straight line is not what it's built for, but still, I was kind of down at the end of the evening, and now just wish I hadn't put it through such pointless abuse in the first place. Not that I abused it but you know what I mean.

I'll throw some videos up when I have time to process them. Want to see if the gopro telemetry thing works.

1 hour ago, ugame said:

All good fun still, and I KNOW the Cayman is by far the best car I have ever owned, and straight line is not what it's built for, but still, I was kind of down at the end of the evening, and now just wish I hadn't put it through such pointless abuse in the first place. Not that I abused it but you know what I mean.

^^^ This! :lol:

Good stuff. I've had a few quick cars over the years, but never done a qtr mile .. 

Trackdays are more my thing. But when I had an HSV, all the owners were big into evenings down the Motorplex.

Something to be said about a big HP car with an auto box. Very repeatable.

They're consistently bad but the fastest run was

60' 2.301

Trap 101.13 mph 162.76 kph

I'm pleased I looked back at the time slips as I was tempted to bin them buuuuttt......

My fastest run was the time I was side by side against my mates jag.

Why does that make me happier? 

Because I know that run was an "OK ish" launch, but.......

I totally stuffed up mid run and hit limiter, and the car backed off hard before I hit the next gear.

I KNOW that run could have been better. Easily a 13 in this car.

I think that was a PSM off launch but can't be sure but pretty sure it was, and I launched just under 2000 rpm.

Hold your revs at about 5000 and don't wait for the green, as soon as you see the last yellow light launch it. Since traction is an issue don't dump it you'll have to ride the clutch a touch or pedal it but pedalling it loses time. Could always put some slicks on another pair of rims and that's a gain. Also remove your tool kit and any weight etc - starve yourself for 2 days prior:Chuckle2:    Very hard to be gentle on your car and look after it if you're trying to achieve best drag times in a  car not set up for dragging

47 minutes ago, firstone said:

Twisties and steal a drag in someone else's car. ?

Yep I think this ;)

End of month is Barbagallo. Much more like it.

I ve dragged before and read heaps before going down there about how to launch a Cayman S as I was set on a 13 (and being competative against the jaaaaag) but you know what it's like once you're fully staged.

It's not "ready set go"

It's "CRAP! FARK! OH FK IT!!!!" :D

Archived