Rampless car trailer

I’m looking for a uncovered dual axle rampless car trailer and trying to sort through features and value for money. Was keen on Futura but not sure they are great value for money? I’ve seen another popular tilting brand that had quite a bit of surface rust yet was only 5 years old! Looked into Nevco are very $$ so out of consideration 

any thoughts?

Tilta dual axle , got one , good stuff , light , just watch the wheels , pretty light on .. I will take a hunt for steelies or something next round of wheels. 3 buckles to date.. 

I am considering a slightly higher profile tyre or a 14.. for more tyre options as the 13 is quite low in choices.

I have the very long ramps , maybe too long .. great for low cars but may cut around 50cm off for steep driveways .. I reckon still an easy load fr a GT3 after cutting .

The stories about potential popping of airbags bullshit I reckon , they are quality as for compressors.. mine aint broken either 5 year old trailer, quite a few loads..

I also have a spare glass matt battery for jump starts etc in my tool box so easily wired up if you ever felt you run outta power, no problems with a 3-4 of loads a day without power in my experience 

I swapped my enclosed for the tilta and love it , can load it alone , can wheel it around .. crap colour .. just give it a dab of paint if it has been left outside , who the hells looking at a shiny trailer.   If you can get belly locker under car great.. best security when car is loaded , you cant open it and carrys heaps of shit . I can drag mine around on grass without hitching up . 

I have added a boat winch 90 bucks for the emergency no drive or push on times for my cars , used it once , i normally roll the car on witha mate or drive it .. easy as , even if the car aint a runner.

I cant recall , got it off a a cup racer 7.5k  s/hand.. but worth it . I have wheel rack but never use it .

Thanks very much guys for your feedback. 

Tilta seems about 9k and Futura about 14k. It would be great if those companies had outlets that hired their trailers. I tried the local hire places car trailers but their generic trailers really weren’t suitable for cars below about 140mm ride height (scrape front spoiler driving on or couldn’t open doors properly to get out once on) and the tie down points meant you were trying to do some magic to prevent straps rubbing guards and/or bumpers.

Still swaying towards Futura at the moment 

I have a custom made trailer from Bailie Industries. It has ramps but with the manual hydraulic tilt is able to load my cup car fairly easily. Cost me around 5K new which was all I was willing to spend on something I use 10x per year. Has some paint issues which I’m currently working on with the manufacture to get rectified but it tows beautifully, can open doors and with the punched floor it’s easy to tie down.

FYI a guy I know with a GT4 Clubsport shelled out for a futura and still needs ramps to drive onto it. Don’t believe the marketing. The same is true for tilta if you want to load something like a cup car.

c

In terms of both price and quality I reckon you've got nevco, futura, tilta, Bailie.....somewhat in that order of price & quality.  I sold a dual axle nevco a while back as it was just too big, heavy & cumbersome for me to handle (dual axle all the kit close to 1.5t from memory) but it was a beautiful bit of kit & looked like it would last forever with true low loading capabilities (talk to some cup car or time attack guys about what works for low clearance).  I'm now looking for a replacement and considering the same criteria that everyone else has.  For a forever proposition and true low load I reckon nevco's (I'm leaning towards a single axle & lighter spec this time around) the go but whether it represents value is a personal perspective.  Tilta, futura etc are all at different spec points and price points so it really comes down to what your criteria is.  Fortunately for us there's a trailer at each level.  There is currently a dual axle tilta on my105.com for 5 - 7k from memory.....plus a stack of other trailers.  There's also a nevco on my105.com that would probably be a 11 - 12 purchase.

1 hour ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

In terms of both price and quality I reckon you've got nevco, futura, tilta, Bailie.....somewhat in that order of price & quality.  I sold a dual axle nevco a while back as it was just too big, heavy & cumbersome for me to handle (dual axle all the kit close to 1.5t from memory) but it was a beautiful bit of kit & looked like it would last forever with true low loading capabilities (talk to some cup car or time attack guys about what works for low clearance).  I'm now looking for a replacement and considering the same criteria that everyone else has.  For a forever proposition and true low load I reckon nevco's (I'm leaning towards a single axle & lighter spec this time around) the go but whether it represents value is a personal perspective.  Tilta, futura etc are all at different spec points and price points so it really comes down to what your criteria is.  Fortunately for us there's a trailer at each level.  There is currently a dual axle tilta on my105.com for 5 - 7k from memory.....plus a stack of other trailers.  There's also a nevco on my105.com that would probably be a 11 - 12 purchase.

Good points and interesting you sold your Nevco.   I  reckon you could beef up the tilta ..if needed and its so light.. 500kg..  As I said , i read all the reviews jumped on mine cheapish and haven't and cant see the failure in the futire that a lot of the folk law seems to go on about.   I wonder how many people actually have these things.  Again, I like the fact I can man handlea round on my own unhitched.. this is a bg plus , especially when you just wanna wheel stuff around the yard as I do .     under 2 tonne towing is the best in my book also …  

Nope not on the payroll, just practical experience..

Also to take on Spillers comment… I reckon i used mine 15 times in a year and got asked to borrow it 45 times..beware..  I cant understand why we nee dto have everything super industrial strenghth , super high tech persoanlly .. its a trailer

Go borrow one , load your car , have a tow is my suggestion :)

On 10/11/2018 at 19:36, symsy said:

Good points and interesting you sold your Nevco.   I  reckon you could beef up the tilta ..if needed and its so light.. 500kg..  As I said , i read all the reviews jumped on mine cheapish and haven't and cant see the failure in the futire that a lot of the folk law seems to go on about.   I wonder how many people actually have these things.  Again, I like the fact I can man handlea round on my own unhitched.. this is a bg plus , especially when you just wanna wheel stuff around the yard as I do .     under 2 tonne towing is the best in my book also …  

Nope not on the payroll, just practical experience..

Also to take on Spillers comment… I reckon i used mine 15 times in a year and got asked to borrow it 45 times..beware..  I cant understand why we nee dto have everything super industrial strenghth , super high tech persoanlly .. its a trailer

Go borrow one , load your car , have a tow is my suggestion :)

I love the idea of lightness (which makes the tilta appealing) and it was the combination of weight, dual axle and the particulars of the storage site that made the nevco go.  If it had been a single axle (or 500kg lighter) I'd still have it.  Being able to manhandle the trailer when necessary wasn't a criteria when I purchased but quickly became one a year later when storage site changed.  Ideally there would be a trailer that is inexpensive, lightweight and strong enough to last a long time.  It's good to know you've had positive experiences with the tilta - they seem like pretty good value to me.

Stay with dual axle for safety.  After that they all do the same basic job, and unless you have a very low car / splitter they will all be fine.

Also make sure you can open the doors when on the trailer as its a real hassle if you cant (nice to have is storage and wheel rack, but depends if your doing race weekends or not)

I have a Baillie, which was custom made, semi enclosed and can carry 10-12 wheels and lots of fuel and spares.
As a result its big and heavy, but with axles offset further rearwards for Porsche the benefit is it tows great !!!

The unicorn trailer you describe above may be a used aluminium trailer imported from the USA... there are lots of them around.

I’ve got a NEVCO, I really baulked at the price initially, but now I’ve had it nearly a year, can’t recommend it enough, good customer service and aftersales support too. 

As Gav said, they are a bit porky because of their solid construction... I have got a John Deere Gator with a hitch  to move mine around at home since things are a little tight and steep... so it is definitely a consideration if you need to manoeuvre it by hand alone. Still, I’d definitely suggest making a time to at least go out to their factory and have a chat with them if you haven’t already. 

As above, maybe look out for a Trailex from the states perhaps? Not sure exactly what is different spec wise though, certainly there is a few things that need to be considered when importing a trailer. But I often see those come up on Rennlist used for cheap. 

• 2 years later...