2005 Cayenne S reluctant to crank

Rob H

I have owned this 2005 Cayenne S for about 18 months and it has the same symptom since soon after purchasing it.

It is reluctant to crank. I replaced the battery soon after I bought it. No change.

Quite often the first attempt fails after about half a revolution, sometimes the second or third attempt also fails.

So far, it has always been able to start eventually, sometimes on the first attempt. Doesn't make any difference if it is hot or cold, recently run or been left for a few days.

It just doesn't get to crank the motor long enough for it to fire up, giving the symptom of a flat battery or dirty battery terminals.

Solenoid, earth wire, starter motor? Any ideas?

Wiring problem? I don't think so, however the Pioneer stereo, GPS, reverse camera only works with the ignition on, which doesn't worry me.

No other symptoms, the motor runs sweet other than a slight shimmy, sometimes on low revs when cold.

Any help would be appreciated

Wouldn't that be something like the 'bendix' sticking if they have such a thing? If you can access the starter, a couple of love taps with a hammer or something solid helps with old cars. Could also just be a loose connection/build up on the starter terminals

• 4 months later...

Problem solved,

In preparing my car to sell, I knew I had to fix this.

By chance, I was looking through the myriad of option codes a Cayenne comes with and discovered J0Z was the original 110 AH battery optioned.

When I bought it, it had an 85 AH fitted and when the reluctant starting happened, I bought the same one as there was not much room for anything else.

It still struggled to crank quite often.

Yesterday I purchased the highest spec one I could find at IBD, 95AH and 900CCA compared to 85AH and 740 CCA.

Starts straight away, first time every time. 

Happy man!!!

Archived