Classic Adelaide/Motorsport festival

LeeM

As some of you are coming over for the above. If you have any dramas with your cars and need a space to work on them, I'm approx 8-10km South of the city with a shed big enough to work in, large trolley jack, stands, 2 ramps, basic tools and best of all unlimited coffee, you're more than welcome. You can also rob my SC for bits if you don't have spares. 

Ph 0407942151 all hours 

• 3 weeks later...

Big props to @hugh and his navigator for coming second overall in the Adelaide rally 'Classic Challenge' class. 

When you think Hugh has never competed in a tarmac rally before and not driven in the Adelaide hills, it puts it into perspective what a huge achievement it is. Especially when quite a few behind him have bee  doing this rally for many years

Many congrats mate. There are a lot of people well impressed 👍

Cheers @LeeM it’s been one hell of a week. We had no expectation of even being able to challenge for a top spot, I am however still coming to terms with the reality that we would have won it if I wasn’t so hot headed going into the last stage on track. That spin cost us quite a lot of time and then find out we lost the rally by 1.9 secs is somewhat bitter sweet! 

Either way, regardless of final standings we have had an amazing week. Thanks again for having us SA, no doubt we will be back! 

5 minutes ago, hugh said:

Cheers @LeeM it’s been one hell of a week. We had no expectation of even being able to challenge for a top spot, I am however still coming to terms with the reality that we would have won it if I wasn’t so hot headed going into the last stage on track. That spin cost us quite a lot of time and then find out we lost the rally by 1.9 secs is somewhat bitter sweet! 

Either way, regardless of final standings we have had an amazing week. Thanks again for having us SA, no doubt we will be back! 

Congrats mate a very good effort.. sometimes the best results are achieved when you have no expectations & a relaxed attitude 👏  

Pics?

There's already talk of turbo's and/or higher powered cars being readied incase you come back @hugh 😁 

Next time HOPEFULLY the comp cars will take a precedent over the posers who like to drive into creeks with their Audi's! $150,000, no insurance and an $8000 creek extraction cost (There was another one yesterday) Oops! 

Just spoke to Hugh and Jim and congratulated them on their fine result on somebody's home turf.

They have put in the homework from doing our runs and Hill Climb's and one Rally together before going over and have done so well !

From the AMF press;

The tight competition in Challenge Classic was a feature throughout the rally, Von Sanden and Visintin starting the day with a 22-second lead that gradually got whittled down across early stages through Mount Lofty, Iron Bank and Stirling.
By the time they got to Basket Range it was less than 10 seconds and the margin never got to double figures for the remainder of the day.
Von Sanden led Feggans by five seconds heading into the final sprint at Victoria Park and lost a further 3 seconds on the stage – winning the rally by just 1.9 seconds.
Daniel Beck and Benjamin Gillespie finished third aboard their Mazda RX2.

On 03/12/2018 at 06:15, LeeM said:

How many stages did you end up winning @hugh

Over the 32 stages we ended up winning 15 in total. I haven't added up the second & third placed stages but between 4-5 cars in our class were were within a second or so on a lot of stages. I seemed to get a good run on everyone at the Bend though, not sure how that happened! :ph34r:

On 03/12/2018 at 12:40, spiller said:

Congrats Hugh, very nicely done. Had a squiz at your car in the paddock yesterday, very tidy. Shame I didn’t get the chance to catch up with either you or Lee but let’s see if we can get some more PFA’ers on board for next years event.

I thought I would have more time but it was a very busy couple of days. I walked past your car on a few occasions but didn't see you (or anyone) near the car - sorry to have missed you. I will be back in a few weeks for Christmas so I'll be sure to get in touch to try and organise a catch up. 

Dan (who came third in our class) has a bakery "Becks" and my thoughts are to maybe organise a breakfast or something there for a catch up. I said he needs to bake me a pie! 

6 hours ago, hugh said:

Over the 32 stages we ended up winning 15 in total. I haven't added up the second & third placed stages but between 4-5 cars in our class were were within a second or so on a lot of stages. I seemed to get a good run on everyone at the Bend though, not sure how that happened! :ph34r:

I thought I would have more time but it was a very busy couple of days. I walked past your car on a few occasions but didn't see you (or anyone) near the car - sorry to have missed you. I will be back in a few weeks for Christmas so I'll be sure to get in touch to try and organise a catch up. 

Dan (who came third in our class) has a bakery "Becks" and my thoughts are to maybe organise a breakfast or something there for a catch up. I said he needs to bake me a pie! 

All good mate, I only spent about 60 mins on track the whole weekend but I seemed to be pretty busy too so can imagine what driving 4 full days would have been like! Hence me being MIA most of the time @LeeM 😄. Whole weekend was a blurr, 2019 event can’t come soon enough.

On 02/12/2018 at 00:38, LeeM said:

Big props to @hugh and his navigator for coming second overall in the Adelaide rally 'Classic Challenge' class. 

When you think Hugh has never competed in a tarmac rally before and not driven in the Adelaide hills, it puts it into perspective what a huge achievement it is. Especially when quite a few behind him have bee  doing this rally for many years

Many congrats mate. There are a lot of people well impressed 👍

Well thank you. From where I was sitting it only got faster and more impressive as the days went on. Fabulous event, deserves to a long and prosperous future

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Having raced for many years @spiller, I know what it's like on race weekends. I always get the bug after watching racing, so I've been looking on Gumtree at cheap WRX's since Saturday night to enter the 2019 Adelaide rally or Motorsport festival 😁 Bad idea though 🙄

Bugger the WRX mate, you’ve got that nice air pumper to throw into the mix 😃

10 hours ago, JimC said:

Well thank you. From where I was sitting it only got faster and more impressive as the days went on. Fabulous event, deserves to a long and prosperous future

Welcome to the fold mate! :)

@JimC "NERVES OF STEEL" yeh, nar, yeh yeh nar nar nar.....................

q5m2HzS.jpg

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

Having raced for many years @spiller, I know what it's like on race weekends. I always get the bug after watching racing, so I've been looking on Gumtree at cheap WRX's since Saturday night to enter the 2019 Adelaide rally or Motorsport festival 😁 Bad idea though 🙄

Much more fun in an old 911 though! :ph34r::D

• 4 months later...
On 02/12/2018 at 22:57, hugh said:

From the AMF press;

The tight competition in Challenge Classic was a feature throughout the rally, Von Sanden and Visintin starting the day with a 22-second lead that gradually got whittled down across early stages through Mount Lofty, Iron Bank and Stirling.
By the time they got to Basket Range it was less than 10 seconds and the margin never got to double figures for the remainder of the day.
Von Sanden led Feggans by five seconds heading into the final sprint at Victoria Park and lost a further 3 seconds on the stage – winning the rally by just 1.9 seconds.
Daniel Beck and Benjamin Gillespie finished third aboard their Mazda RX2.

Just watched the TV coverage on 7mate , looking the goods Hugh ! Wished I was there.

7 hours ago, 9fan said:

Just watched the TV coverage on 7mate , looking the goods Hugh ! Wished I was there.

Thanks Mate! Definitely a trip to remember. Nice to see it get some TV coverage.