US shipping costs?

nytelfer

I am looking to buy a few parts from US vendors (Suncoast & Schnell Auosports etc) - their parts prices seem reasonable but shipping costs are through the roof! A couple of examples include US$91 to ship a US$43 3D jigsaw puzzle and US$394 to ship a US$264 rear diffuser for a 981 model. Even after allowing for bulky items that will inevitably cost more, the shipping prices seem steep. Are there other shippers that people may be using?

1 minute ago, nytelfer said:

I am looking to buy a few parts from US vendors (Suncoast & Schnell Auosports etc) - their parts prices seem reasonable but shipping costs are through the roof! A couple of examples include US$91 to ship a US$43 3D jigsaw puzzle and US$394 to ship a US$264 rear diffuser for a 981 model. Even after allowing for bulky items that will inevitably cost more, the shipping prices seem steep. Are there other shippers that people may be using?

Watch Suncoast … I ordered a big bulky couple of boxes of stuff (nice and cheap compared to PCA) and was told before final payment freight would be about $1000 usd with Fedex. and exact fright will be finalised upon placing order. I placed the order and paid by card and they then tell me a few days later the freight is $2000 usd..... cost ended up the same as if I'd rung any Porsche dealer here.

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Watch Suncoast … I ordered a big bulky couple of boxes of stuff (nice and cheap compared to PCA) and was told before final payment freight would be about $1000 usd with Fedex. and exact fright will be finalised upon placing order. I placed the order and paid by card and they then tell me a few days later the freight is $2000 usd..... cost ended up the same as if I'd rung any Porsche dealer here.

jesus.

"shipping" costs in US are a big scam. A relative in US who works in Distribution told me his firm makes as much money from shipping as they do from selling their product.

They get a special low low rate from UPS, but you are charged the full whack & the firm pockets the difference. Its worse now that we have to pay GST on the total amount.

4 hours ago, generalsmirnov said:

I think the only people who find buying parts from the US worth it are those who travel there regularly anyway. Or perhaps for some rare 2nd hand parts.

I tend to buy a bit from Pelican if it is substantially cheaper than here. The main reason I do it is convenience. If Autohaus or BWA had a website I could click and pay just like PP, then I'd be converted. 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:44, Mike D'Silva said:

I tend to buy a bit from Pelican if it is substantially cheaper than here. The main reason I do it is convenience. If Autohaus or BWA had a website I could click and pay just like PP, then I'd be converted. 

Yes!! I would purchase lots more parts from Aus if someone had a decent online shop! Instead I just get them from the UK so that I can have the transaction sorted in one movement.

When I wanted to order some floor pans for the 912, Pelican Parts were horrendously expensive with freight compared to Sierra Madre and Rennspeed. Ended up buying one half from rennspd.com in the US (was here within 7 days and a quarter of PP freight quote), then found out about James at Autohaus Hamilton and bought the other half for the same price as having them landed here. 

You'd be surprised with AH prices, so maybe check them out 

Try emailing pelican if the costs come out ridiculous.  I have had them update the shipping prices before.  It uses some sort of shipping calculator which is not perfect.  You can put in the order then email them to see if the shipping can be updated.

Archived