996-7 Turbo Market Watch

@Fraz, thanks for starting the topic.

I have one like the "So sweet, new car anyone', 2004 in Artic Silver which I purchased just over a year ago with <19,000 km for a fair bit less than the asking price here. Obtained from Carsales, add was only up for a couple of hours, that quick I don't think anybody noticed it. Great car, it is mint with all paperwork. They are out there, you just need patience.

I've been the lucky owner for a MY03 manual also Arctic silver for just over 12 months. My first P.  

They are amazing cars. Very happy with it.  The engine is legendary and lives up to the promise.  I've driven it around Tassie and the usual places at sparrows fart out of Melb before the cyclists and cops hit the road.  It's a beast that handles amazingly well.

If you can find one in great condition that has a service history you are comfortable with you can't go wrong.  The only thing that would concern me a little about that one for sale for 180k ( apart from sticker price ) is the K's.  Thats less than 2k on average per year on the clock.  These cars are meant to be driven.  Not be garage Queens.

Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.  If you are looking for something that's going to potentially give you a much better $ investment return then look for something that is scarce.  That said I think the 996tt manuals have been underpriced for awhile relative to 993's, 964's etc.  Whether they continue to rise in perceived value given the broader outlook is yet to be determined.  

I did drive a couple of auto's and a couple of manuals before I bought mine.  Manual hands down ... all the way !! 

8 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

I've been the lucky owner for a MY03 manual also Arctic silver for just over 12 months. My first P.  

They are amazing cars. Very happy with it.  The engine is legendary and lives up to the promise.  I've driven it around Tassie and the usual places at sparrows fart out of Melb before the cyclists and cops hit the road.  It's a beast that handles amazingly well.

If you can find one in great condition that has a service history you are comfortable with you can't go wrong.  The only thing that would concern me a little about that one for sale for 180k ( apart from sticker price ) is the K's.  Thats less than 2k on average per year on the clock.  These cars are meant to be driven.  Not be garage Queens.

Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.  If you are looking for something that's going to potentially give you a much better $ investment return then look for something that is scarce.  That said I think the 996tt manuals have been underpriced for awhile relative to 993's, 964's etc.  Whether they continue to rise in perceived value given the broader outlook is yet to be determined.  

I did drive a couple of auto's and a couple of manuals before I bought mine.  Manual hands down ... all the way !! 

Typo I think.  Eg.  But it,  tinker with it, drive it and enjoy it. Tinkered with yours yet.  E.g  exhaust and tune, new engine and tranny mounts as a minimum..    Much better than out of the box, eg throttle response and mezger note.  Haven't driven a tip and don't plan on doing so.

Seems @1q2w3e4r's algo makes a  lot of sense eg <pdk = manual.

Does that mean.  =IF("996turbo" or "997turbo"and"mezger", "manual", "997.2turbo=pdk")  

Just out of interest Is "997.2turbo and Pdk> 997.2turbo and manual.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, sleazius said:

Starting to think about a swapping the S for 997 Turbo manual - pretty thin on the ground though.

Does anyone have delivery numbers at all?

Here is the world wide production numbers, I would think Australian delivered would be a very small percentage given the majority of the turbos were automatics and they cost over $250K new. 

http://howtoporsche.com/911-series/996-1997-2006/porsche-911-996-production-numbers-by-year-and-version/

Total 996 Turbo Coupé production was 16,945 worldwide wide, maybe 150 odd made it here,  I’ve been told as a rule of thumb approx 5% delivered to US were manuals. So you would think similar % for Australia, maybe less. 

On 29/11/2018 at 18:11, Fraz said:

New-ish listing, how is it these cars are so low in the mileage for a 15+ year old car. They just sit and sit, god I go nut if I don’t drive mine every few weeks. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-Porsche-911-Turbo-996-Manual-AWD-MY02/OAG-AD-16641497

Apparently has had a big hit and been repaired. Buyer beware.

On 11/01/2019 at 17:42, PASHN8 said:

Apparently has had a big hit and been repaired. Buyer beware.

Ahhh that makes sense, as it has actually been on the market quite a few months.... I first saw it at $149K back in September, as I was looking for either a 996 TT, or 996 GT3.

i ended up buying a local GT3 for less than that, but have continued to watch this 996TT.  

Whilst I ‘m loving the GT3, with this car’s price progressively dropping, down to the $112K it is now, I had thoughts creeping in from time to time that maybe I could have held out & got this one at a good price.

But in the back of my mind I figured that if this model with such low kms, great colour combo & manual was tanking price-wise, then something must be wrong with it.

So, thanks @PASHN8, you’ve ‘set me free’, and now I can forget about it & just get back to lovin’ my GT3!!

16 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:
124,298 km ..... 125ks isn't anywhere near low Rick, and $149,000 is about $40 overpriced in my book for a TT with those ks. Yep keep on lovin' that GT3!

The 124,298km car is the silver 2001 Turbo which is this one, which was asking $108k + onroads:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Turbo-996-Manual-AWD-MY01/OAG-AD-16770973

The one he is talking about that was $149,000 originally, and is now down to $112,000 is this blue one, with 74,000km that has allegedly been hit and repaired:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-Porsche-911-Turbo-996-Manual-AWD-MY02/OAG-AD-16641497

3 hours ago, Rick V said:

Ahhh that makes sense, as it has actually been on the market quite a few months.... I first saw it at $149K back in September, as I was looking for either a 996 TT, or 996 GT3.

i ended up buying a local GT3 for less than that, but have continued to watch this 996TT.  

Whilst I ‘m loving the GT3, with this car’s price progressively dropping, down to the $112K it is now, I had thoughts creeping in from time to time that maybe I could have held out & got this one at a good price.

But in the back of my mind I figured that if this model with such low kms, great colour combo & manual was tanking price-wise, then something must be wrong with it.

So, thanks @PASHN8, you’ve ‘set me free’, and now I can forget about it & just get back to lovin’ my GT3!!

Glad you have it off your mind, I know how it can be when you watch a certain car with that mindset. I guess like you said there is a reason it has hung around on the market for that long, because clearly more than one person would have gone to see it!