996-7 Turbo Market Watch

29 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Newly listed 996 Turbo https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my02/SSE-AD-7349525/?Cr=61

I'm happy to be a set of eyes for anyone interstate who's interested in this car. Gives me an excuse to go look at it.

Looks cheap compared to the $125k C4S listings!

1 minute ago, JLD said:

Looks cheap compared to the $125k C4S listings!

hmm Cheap Turbos , no such thing ;) ... low Kms , good looking car .. Just check all has been done , intercoolers, diffs and a few more ... I agree if the measure of cheap is value  then 996 TT represent that... the turbo is a head and shoulders in build  quality over your average 996 and of course the motor bullet proof.

3 minutes ago, symsy said:

hmm Cheap Turbos , no such thing ;) ... low Kms , good looking car .. Just check all has been done , intercoolers, diffs and a few more ... I agree if the measure of cheap is value  then 996 TT represent that... the turbo is a head and shoulders in build  quality over your average 996 and of course the motor bullet proof.

Mezger in a proper supercar with a manual gearbox for under $150k! Cmon, you know it’s the goods. 

18 minutes ago, JLD said:

Mezger in a proper supercar with a manual gearbox for under $150k! Cmon, you know it’s the goods. 

Yes .. I think 996 TT is best value in the market, just give me a some sorted brakes.. GT3 ideally and some larger intercoolers , decent cats and a nice exhaust and you have the cheapest hotrod that no one can catch,  that you cant break for sure..unless your a hooligan and like to kiss trees.     

I think one of these cars once made tight as they will probably need some work with their age regardless of KMS  are supercars as you say .. you have a bullet.

buy one 120k and pop in 20-30k of go fast money 

On 01/08/2021 at 17:09, symsy said:

Yes .. I think 996 TT is best value in the market, just give me a some sorted brakes..

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've not had my car long, but the least impressive thing about it is the brakes. They're good, but they're not amazing.

Update 13 August - Front brake lines are cracked. Might have something to do with it.

Edited by the_sovereign_man
Update

8 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've not had my car long, but the least impressive thing about it is the brakes. They're good, but they're not amazing.

Bolt up some GT3 callipers and some bigger discs up front.  I think the other thing I hear on these cars is people go for too much balls out power and they get too harsh in the suspension setup, just polish the diamond a little another 50 bhp maybe 100 at most .. they dont need to be 550+.  Put their power down on the road and they fly. I have punished one of these up and down switch backs and  at high speed mountain roads in europe all day with two drivers , no brake fade and it didnt even whinge a little ... well the tyres maybe 

2 minutes ago, symsy said:

Bolt up some GT3 callipers and some bigger discs up front.  I think the other thing I hear on these cars is people go for too much balls out power and they get to harsh in the suspension setup, just polish the diamond a little another 50 bhp maybe 100 at most .. they dont need to be 550+.  Put their power down on the road and they fly. I have punished one of these up and down switch back at high speed mountain roads in europe all day with two drivers , no brake fade and it didnt even whinge a little ... well the tyres maybe 

996 turbos are already set up with too much front brake bias given the weight bias to the back. Changing calipers to GT3 up front makes it worse. Also wreaks havoc with PSM

Best solution for brakes is caliper spacers and 997 turbo rotors. I know people in the US that have run this setup for 15 years.

To be honest though, unless the car has silly power, the standard brakes arent bad. They are not heavy cars. As long as someone hasnt put crappy aftermarket pads in it and the rotors still have plenty of meat.

3 minutes ago, BNR34 said:

996 turbos are already set up with too much front brake bias given the weight bias to the back. Changing calipers to GT3 up front makes it worse. Also wreaks havoc with PSM

Best solution for brakes is caliper spacers and 997 turbo rotors. I know people in the US that have run this setup for 15 years.

To be honest though, unless the car has silly power, the standard brakes arent bad. They are not heavy cars. As long as someone hasnt put crappy aftermarket pads in it and the rotors still have plenty of meat.

many way to skin that car that goes like a scalded cat I guess 

4 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

It’s pretty unusual for a Porsche not to have great brakes - almost unheard of really. Maybe the pads aren’t right? 

Yep. OEM pads are best for the street. Actually, back in 2008, we used to use OEM pads won out tarmac rally car. Had 997 rotors front and back with spaced stock calipers. Car had k24 turbos and it was more thatln enough braking.

Much better braking than we could ever get from our R34 GTR even though it had a lot more power

44 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Perhaps my expectation was just too high.

40 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

It’s pretty unusual for a Porsche not to have great brakes - almost unheard of really. Maybe the pads aren’t right? 

They aren't great on the track with anything with say 100+ hp over stock.  Though that said you have to be going pretty hard if you run a set of pagids and good brake fluid. 

Best upgrade is GT2/3 6 pot fronts and matching rears off a 997 with 350mm all round if you retain the stock 18 inch wheels.  I went through it with PR Tech and this was where we landed with some Brembo heavy duty rotors, alternate option was PFC off the 991 cup car but it wouldn't fit within my wheels. 

That turbo is nice, hopefully it doesn't last long.  They are very under valued/appreciated for the performance they offer. 

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Horses, courses and all the rest of it :) I don't disagree, but to me more fun than N/A.  Same goes for my 7/2 when I had it, I'd rather be boosted. 

Fair enough. Aside - whats a pepper TT? 

5 hours ago, symsy said:

Yes .. I think 996 TT is best value in the market, just give me a some sorted brakes.. GT3 ideally and some larger intercoolers , decent cats and a nice exhaust and you have the cheapest hotrod that no one can catch,  that you cant break for sure unless your a hooligan and like to kiss trees.     

I think one of these cars once made tight as they will probably need some work with their age regardless of KMS  are supercars as you say .. you have a bullet.

buy one 120k and pop in 20-30k of go fast money 

^Your all over it as usual.

Took a long time, but I reckon I now have one of those satisfying tight ones thats probably now a long term keeper for me. *footnote below.   I got mine really tightened up recently (just before it went in for the p dealer minor service stamp recently.  I put on that 996 GT2/GT3  6 piston monobloc yellow 350mm kit that @q12w3e4r referenced above (we have spent some coin with the same tuner who puts his own little twist to factory part number update kits that are proven fit wise / performance wise on a 996 turbo).  Ticked that box, and even found that in fire drill exercise (that part aint fitting and need another one now ) my mechanic was on the ball.  I rang all 3 Melborurne dealers and got quotes in the 800 to 900 plus range but all were 2 weeks ex Germany on front gt3 pads.   My mech said, I reckon they are the same pads on my Q7.  I checked off the design 911 site in the UK for the gt3 part number for OE  textars and indeed  the same code for audi Q7 Textar's  He had them delivered to his garage within 3 hours,  The price differtial was eye watering for pads, buy I still brought factory stamped pad numbers for next time  (fraction of what I was quoted from melbourne dealers)

Had matching yellow (including world wide recall redesigned front strut and top mounts solution) ohlins R&T coilover kit with a few  996 gt3 parts (lower adjustable controls arms, shims, gt3 adjustible rear sway bar and some Tarret anciliary  parts to tie it all in.  Had Jocaro in Braeside, Vic dial it all in , EG alignment/ geometry setting, stiffness settings, ride height.   

In sticking with factory parts, reckon 997gt2 rs intercoolers are the way to go.  I have a set in a box, might be the last thing I plan to voluntarily touch on my own accord (got a set of k16 turbo's with 997gt2rs style compressor wheels shoved in them and a  gt3/turbo 4l clutch kit (single mass based)to go with it and epoxy coolant leak or slipping factory clutch may force my hand ).   But  I want to take out factory intercoolers with all the shrouds in tact  and bubble wrap them for that potential stock buyer if I ever sell.    Not in a rush, but been keeping a lazy eye out for a set of 996 turbo shrouds as you need  cut and shut the factory shrouds and tabs to make  the 997gt2 rs intercoolers fit and haven't found a set of shrouds (ex intercoolers)  in good condition  for a price I am willing to pay landed 

Its super tight, (braking and handling compared to circa 20 year old factory now bubble wrapped factory parts).  Its a bullet, but missing about 20% of extra boost and a bit more area under a dyno curve that is low handing fruit that I plan to sort out as the next mini project when I get motivated

PS You forgot the most important hodrod item (the last bit above,. A carefully selected custom tune)

In terms of hot rod that noone can catch in terms of bang for buck,  its a bit blah blah boring in comparison (not rowing gears and about 200% different in tightness) but I have this much cheaper arse  daily parked up behind the 996TT.  In finding a new indi  mechanic / workshop  for my daily,  owner strongly recommend to be me  handing  over an additional circa 3k  at the same time of doing my rod bearings whilst having a byo a blower kit (eg harrop or VF engineering)  in the boot and he reckons its one of the most underated  / transforming hotrod  mods in terms of sheer driving pleasure kind on any car that does through his workshop.  More peak hp than the 996TT and more torque down low but completely different bullet delivery  and coincidently both cars have identical peak hp numbers from the factory in stock guise.

*  footnote.  Being badge agnostic.   Also partial to a on paper gated V8 R8 for circa 120k and 30k forced induction / suspension bits (but may have now gone the way of outlier gt3 997.1's in terms of non availability/ price hikes) 

17 hours ago, smit2100 said:

^Your all over it as usual.

Took a long time, but I reckon I now have one of those satisfying tight ones thats probably now a long term keeper for me. *footnote below.   I got mine really tightened up recently (just before it went in for the p dealer minor service stamp recently.  I put on that 996 GT2/GT3  6 piston monobloc yellow 350mm kit that @q12w3e4r referenced above (we have spent some coin with the same tuner who puts his own little twist to factory part number update kits that are proven fit wise / performance wise on a 996 turbo).  Ticked that box, and even found that in fire drill exercise (that part aint fitting and need another one now ) my mechanic was on the ball.  I rang all 3 Melborurne dealers and got quotes in the 800 to 900 plus range but all were 2 weeks ex Germany on front gt3 pads.   My mech said, I reckon they are the same pads on my Q7.  I checked off the design 911 site in the UK for the gt3 part number for OE  textars and indeed  the same code for audi Q7 Textar's  He had them delivered to his garage within 3 hours,  The price differtial was eye watering for pads, buy I still brought factory stamped pad numbers for next time  (fraction of what I was quoted from melbourne dealers)

Had matching yellow (including world wide recall redesigned front strut and top mounts solution) ohlins R&T coilover kit with a few  996 gt3 parts (lower adjustable controls arms, shims, gt3 adjustible rear sway bar and some Tarret anciliary  parts to tie it all in.  Had Jocaro in Braeside, Vic dial it all in , EG alignment/ geometry setting, stiffness settings, ride height.   

In sticking with factory parts, reckon 997gt2 rs intercoolers are the way to go.  I have a set in a box, might be the last thing I plan to voluntarily touch on my own accord (got a set of k16 turbo's with 997gt2rs style compressor wheels shoved in them and a  gt3/turbo 4l clutch kit (single mass based)to go with it and epoxy coolant leak or slipping factory clutch may force my hand ).   But  I want to take out factory intercoolers with all the shrouds in tact  and bubble wrap them for that potential stock buyer if I ever sell.    Not in a rush, but been keeping a lazy eye out for a set of 996 turbo shrouds as you need  cut and shut the factory shrouds and tabs to make  the 997gt2 rs intercoolers fit and haven't found a set of shrouds (ex intercoolers)  in good condition  for a price I am willing to pay landed 

Its super tight, (braking and handling compared to circa 20 year old factory now bubble wrapped factory parts).  Its a bullet, but missing about 20% of extra boost and a bit more area under a dyno curve that is low handing fruit that I plan to sort out as the next mini project when I get motivated

PS You forgot the most important hodrod item (the last bit above,. A carefully selected custom tune)

In terms of hot rod that noone can catch in terms of bang for buck,  its a bit blah blah boring in comparison (not rowing gears and about 200% different in tightness) but I have this much cheaper arse  daily parked up behind the 996TT.  In finding a new indi  mechanic / workshop  for my daily,  owner strongly recommend to be me  handing  over an additional circa 3k  at the same time of doing my rod bearings whilst having a byo a blower kit (eg harrop or VF engineering)  in the boot and he reckons its one of the most underated  / transforming hotrod  mods in terms of sheer driving pleasure kind on any car that does through his workshop.  More peak hp than the 996TT and more torque down low but completely different bullet delivery  and coincidently both cars have identical peak hp numbers from the factory in stock guise.

*  footnote.  Being badge agnostic.   Also partial to a on paper gated V8 R8 for circa 120k and 30k forced induction / suspension bits (but may have now gone the way of outlier gt3 997.1's in terms of non availability/ price hikes) 

You are on full tech breakdown as normal..  :)   Sounds like you are having fun , I was about to say what did you do with that cheap car you bought?   Thought you might be up for a pre covid tax offer ;)    

We were aead of the time when we started talking these cars 2 years ago I reckon ... but I should bought that bloody 997 turbo for 130k , bald tyres or not I shoulda bought it .. even though the clown owner didnt know how to turn on the extra power in the tune .. remember that 

On 01/08/2021 at 14:25, the_sovereign_man said:

Newly listed 996 Turbo https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my02/SSE-AD-7349525/?Cr=61

I'm happy to be a set of eyes for anyone interstate who's interested in this car. Gives me an excuse to go look at it.

^^ That would no doubt be a great help to any prospective buyer, @the_sovereign_man, because the photos in the ad are next to useless.

32 minutes ago, MezgerMan said:

^^ That would no doubt be a great help to any prospective buyer, @the_sovereign_man, because the photos in the ad are next to useless.

No time for that lately...

That Turbo was sold day after listing (awaiting PPI) and seller has higher offers in the waiting. 

57 minutes ago, luzzo said:

No time for that lately...

That Turbo was sold day after listing (awaiting PPI) and seller has higher offers in the waiting. 

Same story as when I bought mine, quick or the dead. Fortunately, I had an honest seller who didn't just give my deposit back and sell it to the highest bidder.

If the guy who offered to pay more if the seller lied to me is in this forum, I hope you get a flat tyre and have to walk home in the rain.

On 01/08/2021 at 16:25, the_sovereign_man said:

Well that certainly didn’t last long.

was that $135k?

or $145k?