996-7 Turbo Market Watch

8 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Price seems reasonable on this and has been for sale for aaaaaaages, am sure there is a reason?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-4892423/?Cr=2

Auto turbo with tan interior and average km's, it's about what it's worth (I'd be offering $80k if it were me)

10 hours ago, PASHN8 said:

Auto turbo with tan interior and average km's, it's about what it's worth (I'd be offering $80k if it were me)

I'm a big fan of any interior colour aside from black.  The k's seem pretty reasonable though for it's age...Although i'm coming from a 911SC which has a gazillion k's on it! 😁

1 hour ago, P-Kay said:

....any way of confirming 100% ?

Without getting it on a hoist and checked by someone in the trade, it is an allegation. 

Story goes a gent in Melbourne was interested in it, and one of the guys in Perth knew the history of the car before it appeared at the wholesaler, and that it was in a decent accident and repaired. Doesn't mean it wasn't repaired well, but as with every purchase do your own research and DD before buying. I haven't seen the car but was fairly interested in it when it first appeared online, albeit not my first color preference. 

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

I'm a big fan of any interior colour aside from black.  The k's seem pretty reasonable though for it's age...Although i'm coming from a 911SC which has a gazillion k's on it! 😁

Hehe, fair enough, each to their own :)

55 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

UK import which isn't mentioned in the ad.

There had to be some catch! 

That said, if it comes up as good as it looks, that's fairly priced and good buying in my view.

I tend to agree that with the prices of air-cooled cars, the 996 appears to be the best value out there at present. 

29 minutes ago, Rick V said:

There had to be some catch! 

That said, if it comes up as good as it looks, that's fairly priced and good buying in my view.

I tend to agree that with the prices of air-cooled cars, the 996 appears to be the best value out there at present. 

It's hard to put a monetary value on what is "better value" between the two .... if you did then a brand new BMW or Mercedes is better value than a 20 year old Porsche ...

An impact bumper machine is a completely different car than a 996 ... so depending on what floats one's boat is where the "value" is at ... 

just my 0.02c worth ... 😁

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

It's hard to put a monetary value on what is "better value" between the two .... if you did then a brand new BMW or Mercedes is better value than a 20 year old Porsche ...

An impact bumper machine is a completely different car than a 996 ... so depending on what floats one's boat is where the "value" is at ... 

Yeah fair call @Dreamr.  Its personal preference and more an art than a science,.... and there's lots of different ways to consider 'Value', but I guess I was coming more from a potential increase in value.....i.e., I think the 996 will appreciate over say the next three years, versus the substantial depreciation you'll suffer over the same period on a new Merc or Beemer. 

Also, given the run-up in values in more recent times of the air-cooled Pcars, I think there's a pretty good chance that the 996 has been somewhat over-looked, and will appreciate quicker than them over the next 3-5 years.

I guess we will be able to look back at this thread in years to come to see if I'm talking crap, or I'm a genius. 

Of course, forgetting the $$'s for a minute, the real value in any of these cars is how they make you feel when you drive them, or even just admire them in the garage!

14 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Isn't  the  value in a 996 turbo with  the chassis dynamics, suspension and braking (even moving closer to 20 years on)  being so mismatched with the stock factory power.  Need another 150hp to balance it up. The real value is for those that are into tweaking and want three pedals.  You can start by spending  6k wisely on the  996 turbo and get more power / similar power than any new bmw or Mercedes that is stock or tweaked ( tweaking rare because most  scared of voiding the new car warranty).  If you are into the science of tweaking and removing the factory handcuffs.on a 996 turbo  theres at least 10 bolt on turbos that get you to all sorts of power / boost / torque and spool up combinations.  Once tweaked smartly  in a few other areas besides turbos, tune  and exhaust  they  are a great alrounder for all occasions. Eg one weekend Smt, next weekend track, next weekend gate crash a bmw or Mercedes dyno day , next week end friday night lights with v8's and fast 4's and the next week is avoiding a divorce so a bit of a Sunday stroll down at the shops  with the Mrs and kids in the back seats ( you can get a bit of the essential groceries  stored in the frunk.  Will deliver 9/10 on all 5 days when behind the wheel.  Reckon a new bmw or Mercedes is going to be lucky to deliver 9/10 on 1 of those 5 days   Eg  handle the shopping run. Then if you want to sell, not a biggy to get it back to stock ( but why the heck would you do that because in stock guise the throttle response and  turbo  spool up and engine note is extremely underwhelming once your gone over to the value side and start tweaking.   

Ps just a view but best bank for buck car in  5 years time is  an Alfa, 600 hp from stock  with the right tuner and downpipe  combo and waste  of time doing anything else to it.  Note its  the one with the Ferrari twin turbo v8 engine that's been vertically  gas axed to remove two cylinders so it fits  in the front engine bay and it's got a bit of 996 turbo spoiler movement  butt arse about.  The front lip responds to changes in speed and moves in and out as opposed to up and down on the rear of 996 turbo.

New bmw m3 manual pure coming out. , What's the appreciation again  in three to 5 years time. Depreciation would probably be  equivalent to paying cash for the Alfa.

Ps if you dont give a toss about infotainment behind the wheel for the  same price as a   new Mercedes or bmw I would much rather float my boat with  a 996 turbo and  e90 m3 ( both tweaked of coarse) and much more value when behind the wheel of one of those cars let alone both. For infotainment in either of those cars just wind the window down. One car excels on the upshift  via a gear stick when over 5000 rpm  and the other on the downshift from 5000 rpm using paddle shifters.

Nor convinced an impact bumper SC target will see 150k anytime soon.   996 turbo manual  is trending back to the future (  can see 150k in 3 to 5 years for cars under 75k on the clock and not tweaked ) 

On 19/01/2019 at 16:22, Troubleshooter said:
124,298 km ..... 125ks isn't anywhere near low Rick, and $149,000 is about $40 overpriced in my book for a TT with those ks. Yep keep on lovin' that GT3!

330k for a 997gt2 pushing out 530/670. What's this worth based on the relative numbers. Yes nice to be able drop or ramp up the same hp ( or multiples of the output of a  a watercooled  targa on the fly .https://www.automotiveuploads.com/we-found-a-1000hp-porsche-911-turbo-where-youd-least-expect-it_f0eae3fce.html

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Nu Zuland cars are so cheap . Anything seem to be wrong with this other than being in New Zealand which I believe is part of Australia anyway .

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1932135710.htm?rsqid=33e14e1c4a734054b65a732d5c13cbf5

Yep, read the constitution - it's listed right there as a state along with the rest of them:

6. "The Commonwealth" shall mean the Commonwealth of Australia as established under this Act.

"The States" shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia, as for the time being are parts of the Commonwealth, and such colonies or territories as may be admitted into or established by the Commonwealth as States; and each of such parts of the Commonwealth shall be called "a State".

All of the ones you posted seem like great examples (maybe NZ excluded due to full respect with so few k’s On the clock) only thing missing is they need to sharpen their pencils on the pricing. $120k for low k’s manual 996 turbo is the benchmark.  Will be interesting to see if they sit for a while. 

14 hours ago, Fraz said:

Looks to be a real Turbo S, can be many of these in Australia.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-911-Turbo-S-996-Manual-AWD-MY05/SSE-AD-4041147

Someone please correct me - I used to know the exact numbers Fraz when I had mine …. something like 18 delivered, half cabs and half autos, I remember something like 6 man coupes delivered. (I think)