996-7 Turbo Market Watch

On 25/04/2022 at 16:58, mc968cs said:

Hi, does anyone know if cars that are listed on the WOVR system can qualify for Rally Rego in NSW?  I have tried to review the data online - its not very clear (to my mind anyway). 

https://www.my105.com/search/details/2007-porsche-997-turbo/37559ac7-c33f-4a44-98c6-2ade253acb2d

I am short a track toy at present and this got me thinking.  

So......

1. Appreciate feedback on that, thanks in advance.

2. Also if anyone knows more of that car - let me know please. 

Having being through the process of re-registering a car that was branded with a WOVR title, I can tell you its a pretty complex process... we do it differently (read: more difficult) in NSW to other states... it is my understanding that once branded, the WOVR can never be removed, this is really unfortunate as it impacts economic write off cars that are perfectly repairable, if you're willing to commit the funds it takes to do so! In NSW the only grounds you can apply for re-registration of a WOVR titled car is meeting the very specific criteria AND you were the last owner for 28 days or more prior to the WOVR branding... again this stops you re-registering something you may have bought at an auction or elsewhere... Also in the conditions are NO unregistered vehicle permits to be given, so I would imagine rally rego falls somewhere in line with this since they (like historic) are essentially a permit system... long way to say NO sorry. :lol: but I am still scarred from my experience. 

PS - surely a cup is your next track toy? 

14 hours ago, edgy said:

Having being through the process of re-registering a car that was branded with a WOVR title, I can tell you its a pretty complex process... we do it differently (read: more difficult) in NSW to other states... it is my understanding that once branded, the WOVR can never be removed, this is really unfortunate as it impacts economic write off cars that are perfectly repairable, if you're willing to commit the funds it takes to do so! In NSW the only grounds you can apply for re-registration of a WOVR titled car is meeting the very specific criteria AND you were the last owner for 28 days or more prior to the WOVR branding... again this stops you re-registering something you may have bought at an auction or elsewhere... Also in the conditions are NO unregistered vehicle permits to be given, so I would imagine rally rego falls somewhere in line with this since they (like historic) are essentially a permit system... long way to say NO sorry. :lol: but I am still scarred from my experience. 

PS - surely a cup is your next track toy? 

Perfect that helps.  I’ve thought it over and im looking for fun, and decided I’m definitely not looking for another project. Thanks @edgy.

Cup cars are an option - I did like the club spirit of driving there and back too though.  Cup-cars always  looks a lot of fuss vs that.  

1 hour ago, mc968cs said:

Cup cars are an option - I did like the club spirit of driving there and back too though.  Cup-cars always  looks a lot of fuss vs that.  

This is true, I do enjoy the drive home in the very car you've flogged all day, air-con & radio blasting... 

I was tempted by a saltry number recently (98 Super Cup) but when I really started to think about the prospect of storing it, buying a trailer, loading/unloading trailer, buying another tow rig etc my brain started to hurt :lol: I'm in a good place with my garage & contents and would like to keep it that way... 

14 minutes ago, Kiwiland7r said:

While going around inspecting 996 turbos + educating myself on the process, came across a low mileage 996 that basically had a 10 year gap in it's service history. I confirmed this by calling said dealership.

What was interesting that the seller had mentioned in passing that the car coughed and spluttered on cold start up. Also, not much was said about the 10 year gap in service history.

Sounded like enough red/yellow/call it what you want flags for me to walk away. Thoughts?

Dig deeper, look at speedo details, maybe it was parked up?

Just now, BNR34 said:

If it really had no maintenance for 10 years I would avoid. 

If it was maintained by but just not by a dealer, I would have no issue whatsoever. In fact, I would probably prefer it.

If its only done 800 K's in 10 years it's also a lot different to doing 10,000 k's in the same period and no servicing. 

23 minutes ago, Kiwiland7r said:

While going around inspecting 996 turbos + educating myself on the process, came across a low mileage 996 that basically had a 10 year gap in it's service history. I confirmed this by calling said dealership.

What was interesting that the seller had mentioned in passing that the car coughed and spluttered on cold start up. Also, not much was said about the 10 year gap in service history.

Sounded like enough red/yellow/call it what you want flags for me to walk away. Thoughts?

I disagree.....There are many many many low klm cars that have not been maintained properly.

Buy on condition alone. Not klms. Not Import vs domestic (this is a personal preference) Not manual over Auto etc. 

These cars are 20+ years old. If you are looking for a daily driver - then a 991 would be a better buy in this case IMHO.

A 996 TT is an enthusiasts car - and needs an enthusiusast mindset. 

If there are 2 cars that meet your criteria - go for one that presents well with the best maintenance history in the configuration (auto vs Manual) that you want. The market here isn't big enough for you to be choosey over colours - but there are plenty of ppl (Me Included) that would not buy a silver/Blue/ Black or particular coloured one for personal reasons - that is up to you.

I was under the impression that cars need fresh fluids circulating through them at least on a semi regular basis. They need to be started at least on occasion. A sitting unstarted /driven car may present its own issues.

7 hours ago, Joz said:

I was under the impression that cars need fresh fluids circulating through them at least on a semi regular basis. They need to be started at least on occasion. A sitting unstarted /driven car may present its own issues.

unstarted may be a risk , unmaintained .. if only driven for 10 mins every few weeks , not so much..  I know i have looked back and when i have had multiple cars there are sometimes gaps in svc history from a time perspective .

I think a key thing is , does the owner know their car, well at least for me , service stamps and once a year oil fill and glance at a dealer dont equate to real maintenance in my world..  trust me i know , had a 21,000kms car with 10 x pretty stamps in the log book via dealer .. when it came to really using it and spanking it a little  , it just groaned and demanded money.

Tyres , brake fluids and transaxle and probably brakes may cost you a bit along with a clutch .. 

I think just have a small budget in mind if your gonna buy for some recommissioning if you like 

Completely agree @symsy. In a perfect world, you would want a car that gets its legs stretched every month or so.

Also, I wouldn't was to start a car with 10 year old oil and filter.

It is also a good idea to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank over to build oil pressure before starting it is sits for more than a few weeks.

My mechanic has a running joke with me that I should sell the Mobil 1 he drops out of my car every year. It is usually still the colour of honey.

35 minutes ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Thanks for all your input!

As far as I can tell, the owner has spent most of the time away from the car. Thus, it has been in a garage for extended periods of time. Thus, there is a very high chance it hasn't been started on a regular basis. The mileage during the decade of no servicing was only about 4000Km.

Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic, or remotely possess the skills of one. Sounds like I should pass on this.

BUT it also depends on how much it is.. If it's a bargain and it checks out then why not?

5 hours ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Thanks for all your input!

As far as I can tell, the owner has spent most of the time away from the car. Thus, it has been in a garage for extended periods of time. Thus, there is a very high chance it hasn't been started on a regular basis. The mileage during the decade of no servicing was only about 4000Km.

Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic, or remotely possess the skills of one. Sounds like I should pass on this.

Do a deal and buy well .. boost is addictive ... there are many cars with stories that wont get the PFA nitpickers seal of approval.. but they should still be bought

If you're looking for. PFA PPI certificate, they are as rare at 1973 RS's and very rarely given ,  If someone does have one it is normally hidden behind the hall of shame and crash photos and the secret repairs no one talks about with their cars or have been forgotten in the 20 year book fo sins thats now been water damaged in the floods.

In all sincerity they have few quirks but thats a top car , with top gearboxes and motor , one of the best  and are a rock solid bang for buck.  Negotiate and inspect and have a chunk of cash for emergencies and you might be ok , having picked the find of the decade .

Get the fuel dumped , get it started and drive it , sythentic oil is good for 20 years ... go lightly as you might pop a water or boost hose , if its ok .. buy some new ones or get a good roadside, as boost hoses are a pain to fit on the roadside  , change all the fluids especially the brakes , pop on some new rubber and then smash it hard , you will scream and smile .. 

3 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

I’ve not seen the car but seriously….you are deciding whether to buy or not based on forum stuff.? Get real.  

It’s time to get in and check it out with a pro.  It could be the barn find of the decade 

Exactly.

You mitigate risk via price as well.

Assess the car, and make an offer based on mitigating the unknown. 

You may end up with an absolute gem.

9 minutes ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Any recommendations on a mobile car mechanic in Melbourne? 

David Brennan has a great reputation if he's still operating 

Nurburgring Mechanical is his business name

18 hours ago, LeeM said:

David Brennan has a great reputation if he's still operating 

Nurburgring Mechanical is his business name

Is David still around & doing P cars in Melbourne? I think I read that he had moved to other makes.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

30/5/22 listed on CS 2010 997.2 TURBO

COLOR not mentioned

80500kms

Rego TRBN8ER

asking $338k

Is the price insanity going to ever end??

@911virgin, do you mean this Ad mate? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-porsche-911-turbo-997-series-ii-auto-awd-my11/OAG-AD-20785876 

?? 

Think you made a Typo with the Reg. (Should be TRBN8R). May just be easier to quote the Carsales link? 

13 hours ago, luzzo said:

@911virgin, do you mean this Ad mate? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-porsche-911-turbo-997-series-ii-auto-awd-my11/OAG-AD-20785876 

?? 

Think you made a Typo with the Reg. (Should be TRBN8R). May just be easier to quote the Carsales link? 

yes! thanks for correcting that

i cant post links from my phone 🥺