996-7 Turbo Market Watch

Help an idiot out here... I woke up with 997 Turbo on my mind, the thought has been percolating for a couple days, but it's another thing to wake up with those thoughts! 🤭

In light of my recent revelation that an RS is a terrible day trip car for you and your bride, I started thinking about what options there were, what box haven't I ticked? And also why am I still driving this 400hp 2 tonne SUV every day, yet I have not left the city of Sydney in 1 year, let alone hooked a trailer up all but 1 time... 

Enter my thoughts: 997 Turbo Tipper coupe... yes tipper, because I will keep the RS for 3 pedal joy, PDK is a big premium and frankly I like a slush box in traffic more than I like PDK.

General scope; trade Macan Turbo with not too much added $$, buy 997 tip, drive it daily, everywhere and take it for Sunday road trips when I am not riding solo... dont care about miles or wear & tear, so a higher mile example might better suit... the question is; is that logic sound? and pricing? I thought privately these cars had hit the $130-140k mark, which would make sense based on the two listed below at the respective dealerships? Is there a covid tax attached to that pricing? Forgive me, I do not follow the turbo market too closely... and no to 996 turbo, cool cars & all, but I have a 996 already. 

Lorbek car has higher miles, but seems to present better? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-auto-awd-my07/OAG-AD-19022259/?Cr=9 

Dutton car looks good, but they could have spent the few hundred $$ to put a new splitter on it... lower miles but more $$ 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-auto-awd-my07/OAG-AD-19517076/?Cr=11

10 hours ago, edgy said:

Help an idiot out here... I woke up with 997 Turbo on my mind, the thought has been percolating for a couple days, but it's another thing to wake up with those thoughts! 🤭

In light of my recent revelation that an RS is a terrible day trip car for you and your bride, I started thinking about what options there were, what box haven't I ticked? And also why am I still driving this 400hp 2 tonne SUV every day, yet I have not left the city of Sydney in 1 year, let alone hooked a trailer up all but 1 time... 

Enter my thoughts: 997 Turbo Tipper coupe... yes tipper, because I will keep the RS for 3 pedal joy, PDK is a big premium and frankly I like a slush box in traffic more than I like PDK.

General scope; trade Macan Turbo with not too much added $$, buy 997 tip, drive it daily, everywhere and take it for Sunday road trips when I am not riding solo... dont care about miles or wear & tear, so a higher mile example might better suit... the question is; is that logic sound? and pricing? I thought privately these cars had hit the $130-140k mark, which would make sense based on the two listed below at the respective dealerships? Is there a covid tax attached to that pricing? Forgive me, I do not follow the turbo market too closely... and no to 996 turbo, cool cars & all, but I have a 996 already. 

Lorbek car has higher miles, but seems to present better? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-auto-awd-my07/OAG-AD-19022259/?Cr=9 

Dutton car looks good, but they could have spent the few hundred $$ to put a new splitter on it... lower miles but more $$ 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-auto-awd-my07/OAG-AD-19517076/?Cr=11

Agree lorbek car whilst higher k’s is better optioned including sports chrono, and I know how much you love that option 😂

13 hours ago, Tips said:

Agree lorbek car whilst higher k’s is better optioned including sports chrono, and I know how much you love that option 😂

hahahaha 

4 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Logic makes sense.  I agree the Lorbek car even with the km looks in better condition, especially around the drivers seat/bolsters 

Good to hear! Yup, it perplexes me how they can present a car as such, especially given their reputation... I guess they dont really care as much for the bottom feeders like me :lol: its the million dollar clientele that get the reach arounds.

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

There you go @edgy, there's your answer.  Now you have to just get over trying to deal with Lorbeks again.........  

It is astounding that you as a buyer have to TRY and buy a car.... I think I will pass on that one simply based on them being in my too hard basket. 

40 minutes ago, hugh said:

Have you purchased one already? If not, maybe consider a 997.2 Carrera S. Definitely wont go backwards $$$ (if you can find one). 

No mate, I will need to shift my Macan Turbo first... which I will probably do privately to maximise $$ back to me, I am in no hurry, hopefully I can find a good TT privately on the other side too... 

997.2 C2S is a good candidate... I actually found one for my Dad when looking (he is thinking of doing the same as me) but I am not sure the ask on it was worth it ($130k) 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

997.2 C2S is a good candidate... I actually found one for my Dad when looking (he is thinking of doing the same as me) but I am not sure the ask on it was worth it ($130k) 

last 2 mates that sold 7.1 manuals were at the $110k mark so a 7.2 pdk would be 110-120 I would think for a low k mint example, purchase price not advertised price

Talking sticks.... 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-porsche-911-turbo-997-manual-awd-my08/SSE-AD-7041249/?Cr=17 

This appears to have 'lived a life' but I'll bet this thing is a bloody laugh to drop the top and give it the full potatoes on a country road. 

The Lorbek TT appears to have sold this week too, so you'd have to imagine a nicely presented example priced in the $130-50k range is going to move pretty quickly? 

This one appears to present very well, but at $165k is not exciting buyers? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-auto-awd-my07/SSE-AD-6857200/?Cr=14

HAHA...I thought you nabbed the Lorbek jobbie when I noticed it gone :)

That manual cab does sound the goods - tasty upgrades indeed. Consideing you guys get better weather than us mexican's then it is starting to make sense for a daily......just sayin' ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new here, have been following the thread for a short while.

Just curious to see your opinion on the orange details (wheels, trims and some body parts). Are these available options from the manufacturer or aftermarket parts?

It's in the new manual Turbo listing https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-porsche-911-turbo-997-manual-awd-my07/SSE-AD-7074349/?Cr=3

Some tuning and performance upgrade done, which is not really the preference. But it seems nicely presented. Definitely not a buy for me at this price if the orange parts are not original.

TIA

2 hours ago, tomo said:

Its had some cash splashed on it thats for sure, the story  is a bit confusing it could be factory  ordered or the Tuner might be the culprit 

don’t quite understand/ follow the logic of why it has several performance mods when it’s been purchased as a ‘museum piece’.

maybe it looks faster standing still.

3 minutes ago, Mttel said:

don’t quite understand/ follow the logic of why it has several performance mods when it’s been purchased as a ‘museum piece’.

maybe it looks faster standing still.

That's why I felt like I was reading a sales pitch aiming to hype up potential buyers. The leather seats also seem to be aftermarket as there isn't the Porsche emblem on the headrest.

3 hours ago, Horsey said:

The leather seats also seem to be aftermarket as there isn't the Porsche emblem on the headrest.

Appears to have retrimmed the stock seats, as the piping is orange (not standard) as for the crests, those are often a cost option. 

The car itself seems to have an identity crisis, museum piece, modified and 67,000 kms... if the car spoke for itself it wouldn’t need the seller to try and convince you, 😂

At that price, I’m a hard pass 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

What do the captains of forced induction think of this one considering the accident damage?

I saw that pop-up on the weekend and nearly fell off the couch to call before seeing the note about being a write off... 

Do you have any details on how bad it was? I suppose that's the big question... At least you can see after 12 years if the cosmetic aspects have held up ok.

9 minutes ago, JWM said:

Do you have any details on how bad it was?

I spoke to him on the phone this morning.  Apparently front left quarter and side damaged.  Engine not impacted.  No crabbing or resonance issues found under load.

The price is lower than others... but is it lot enough considering the unknowns.  You would have to hold onto it for a long, long time for it not to be an issue if you had to unload it again.