996-7 Turbo Market Watch

I don't think they'll ever be "collectable" and so they shouldn't as they made 20k of them.   Would I be put off by one with a tune and some improvement pieces?  No, but it depends on who did the tune.  I only have Kevin tune my stuff so anything from him wouldn't worry me in the slightest.  But it may some (being tuned), that said I buy cars for me, not the next person so it wouldn't worry me.

You could always pull the stuff off if going to sell it, but personally I wouldn't bother.  Stock they are under braked and a 6pot conversion with good pads, fluids and discs really helps and while the stock performance is good, it isn't great.   I've had a couple of 997s also and I really like the 996, I'm more comfortable punting that amount of $ around a track than I was with a GT2 and the Mezger is better on the track than the new DFI engines in the turbo in my experience.  

Another question for those in the know. 

The car is not yet on the market but is imac/cond auto 05, 

Silver with 120KMs on the clock or there abouts. Not listed yet for sale

How much of a detraction to price would the following make

No original rims, replacements look good though. I really feel cars should be complete.

The tail hydraulics are starting to leak and the tails operation is erratic.

Bright brown interior but EC throughout.

pending PPI when /if price is agreed to.

Open to what people may think its worth.

On 15/05/2021 at 14:03, Joz said:

Another question for those in the know. 

Slight clue so I will take a stab at it.

120KMs on the clock or there abouts

This is not bad.

auto

This hurts.  Many people insist on the third pedal, especially with a TT.

Bright brown interior

This is not great either sorry.  There is another UK import that has sat for a while since 2019 I think.  The few people I have discussed it with agree the interior colour (Savannah) is what holds it back.  FWIW I don't care about interior, and I am not alone so you'll find a buyer.

Open to what people may think its worth.

Minimum 100K... maybe 120K on a good day?  Sorry if it's not helpful, I consider myself better informed on the non-TT.

Good luck!

53 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Slight clue so I will take a stab at it.

This is not bad.

This hurts.  Many people insist on the third pedal, especially with a TT.

This is not great either sorry.  There is another UK import that has sat for a while since 2019 I think.  The few people I have discussed it with agree the interior colour (Savannah) is what holds it back.  FWIW I don't care about interior, and I am not alone so you'll find a buyer.

Minimum 100K... maybe 120K on a good day?  Sorry if it's not helpful, I consider myself better informed on the non-TT.

Good luck!

The blue one on carsales? That one didn’t sell at 115k pre covid rise, must think 125k is lots more enticing to buyers 🤣 

Question, what would be a fair price for a 2005 996 turbo S coupe, manual, 2 owner, full factory interior carbon package option, factory carbon ceramic brake package option, done 105kms, not modified.

2 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Not sure- but there is enough online to get a delta of the range no? 

Probably but I must be looking in the wrong places, just trying to get some peoples thoughts with more experience than me. :)

15 hours ago, James P said:

Thanks... is anyone after one?

There was a Black UK Turbo S tip recently, asking was $130k about 70k on it from memory... it moved pretty quick, so I'd suspect a local delivered example with higher km's priced in the low-mid 100's would sell pretty quick. 

On 18/05/2021 at 10:16, edgy said:

There was a Black UK Turbo S tip recently, asking was $130k about 70k on it from memory... it moved pretty quick, so I'd suspect a local delivered example with higher km's priced in the low-mid 100's would sell pretty quick. 

I think your are right on your comment that at your pricing it would sell pretty quickly. But that pricing seems  like 2016 asking  prices for a manual and the market seems to have moved a bit since then particularly over the last   6 months.   I would only pay a small  premiun over a  stock one for the S badge based purely on a behind the wheel bang for buck perspective .  Eg  a bit more yellow  with bigger brakes with first gen  pccb's,   laggier turbo's and a  few other upgrade parts  netting circa 30 more hp over and a stock one, but you get  a  build date at  of the end of the   fried egg  996 production runs ( 2005).  A $ 895 cobb access port hooked up to the ecu on a stock  one delivers more driver bang for buck with no premium outlay. 

But some will pay overs  for that  extra letter on the rear e n d badge. . 

On 18/05/2021 at 12:16, edgy said:

I think your a bit light on price in today’s market 

47 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

I think your are right on your comment that at your pricing it would sell pretty quickly. But that pricing seems  like 2016 asking  prices for a manual and the market seems to have moved a bit since then particularly over the last   6 months.   I would only pay a small  premiun over a  stock one for the S badge based purely on a behind the wheel bang for buck perspective .  Eg  a bit more yellow  with bigger brakes with first gen  pccb's,   laggier turbo's and a  few other upgrade parts  netting circa 30 more hp over and a stock one, but you get  a  build date at  of the end of the   fried egg  996 production runs ( 2005).  A $ 895 cobb access port hooked up to the ecu on a stock  one delivers more driver bang for buck with no premium outlay. 

But some will pay overs  for that  extra letter on the rear e n d badge. . 

Agree 

On 18/05/2021 at 11:18, Joz said:

Probably but I must be looking in the wrong places, just trying to get some peoples thoughts with more experience than me. :)

My opinion and also based on first hand knowledge;  a Aust delivered, MY02 or 03 manual,  75-90k's on the clock, excellent condition/service history/books etc, classic black on back or silver and black ( not a S ) will sell now privately for anywhere btw $130-150K depending on seller + buyer negotiations.   If you seriously want one now and can find one around that price atm and the PPI checks out buy it.   I also agree with @smit2100 that the S badge will command a higher $ .... how much more I'd only be guessing.  ~15-20k perhaps ??

24 minutes ago, Thommo66 said:

My opinion and also based on first hand knowledge;  a Aust delivered, MY02 or 03 manual,  75-90k's on the clock, excellent condition/service history/books etc, classic black on back or silver and black ( not a S ) will sell now privately for anywhere btw $130-150K depending on seller + buyer negotiations.   If you seriously want one now and can find one around that price atm and the PPI checks out buy it.   I also agree with @smit2100 that the S badge will command a higher $ .... how much more I'd only be guessing.  ~15-20k perhaps ??

Thanks that’s exactly the type of info I really need.

So did you buy or sell?

Actually what a about a very nice/ mint 01 manual coupe with about 130ks?

or an 05 manual cab100ks, mint?

A penny for your thoughts?

1 minute ago, Joz said:

So did you buy or sell?

Nps.  Seller.   

Is this the cab you are referring to ? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my05/SSE-AD-7049264/?Cr=1

Nice looking car and reasonable K's.  It's unfair for me to make a judgement call as it's only my opinion and I would not want to detract anything from the seller's ability to get that asking price.  All I would say is that in general the cabs sell for a bit lower than the coupes.  Same for 993's etc. 

I can attest to the 996tt manual being an absolute rocket to drive and loads of fun.  So if you're keen on that car around the asking $ with some wiggle room no doubt,  get a PPI and take it from there.   

3 hours ago, Joz said:

So did you buy or sell?

Be careful with the word mint

Was mint the words used in a ppi that you had done or just your view or the sellers

I went to cars and coffee yesterday a saw a concourse clean and well maintained black 996 turbo  x50 with 28k and the owner is an enthusiast.  . That deserves  the word minty . Mine was parked opposite and its pretty clean with sub 68k and nearby to me parked up was a very clean stock uk personnel import with 80k.  Ps I am kilometer agnostic.  Eg low km cars  doesnt mean minty per say.  A high km car can be minty.  BUT

I am a big believer in having at least 5k plus that needs to be spent on even a so called mint 996 turbo.  .  Eg these cars are circa 20 years old and not convinced even mint cars have recently had the all the right rubber bits refreshed which impact drivability behind the wheel. 

So is it mint when in the drivers seat.  Eg tranny mounts and engine mounts been replaced recently, super tight steering,  what suspension refresh work was done , eg top mounts, shocks, the stock 996 shiftet  mechanism is inferior to to any 997 mechanism eg stock, 997 short shift kit , gt3, ( eg has the 20 year  plastic bits in the stock 996 gearbox mechanism been replaced),   running ps2 tyres all round, has it had a boost leak check done   When was drive belt and spark plugs done last.  

So did that  mint car have all the above done relatively recently. Or done at all.  Most minty ones with higher k's are probably modded , but and that puts off some buyers.   

Some of us reckon waste  of time owning one and only seeing the boost gauge max out at 0.7 bar.

Ps all 3 cars at cars and coffees yesterday were manual coupes.  Black, polar silver and artic silver all very clean ( mint is pretty strong and comes with higher end  pricing)  A subtle message there. 

Just a view but a series 2 manual coupe with  circa plus 100km with a clean ppi  is  probably good  buying based on current pricing at circa  140k. .   But note doing the items above as a minimum  improves drivability by about 10% on a stock car. ( i doubt many of the cars advertised have had any of that work done relatively recently)  . Then  the right tune and exhaust is 100%  better over that 10%.

I can also attest that  manual  modded coupes  ( tune and exhaust) are great all round drivers car and fun to drive.  Stock, not so much, with inferior throttle response  and better to have the engine note sounding more like a gt3 with the window up or down when ypur on boost   than an anemic vaccum cleaner.

@smit2100

thanks for some extra perspective on my my use of the term mint.😊 to true the descriptor should be used with caution.

There are so many variables to consider.

As with most things, as the prices of better cars moves up it also drags the price of lesser cars up whether they are worthy of it or not it seems.