easiest route into some racing?

jaw

hey guys, here's probably the best place for this.

Long story short it's always been an ambition to do some sort of regular racing - work has completely permitted me but next year I'm planning for a lot more down time..

But I'm not sure what options are out there so thought I'd ask? Probably in WA or NSW depending on where I end up.

I'm not 100% sure what I'd run yet. I have a supra that I Was building for the track but I like the idea of a 944 or an early boxster. Any steer would be great,  it's been years since I got on the track and am having serious withdrawals!

I’d recommend starting with club sprints (multiple cars on track but each only racing the clock) or regularity (same rules) and go from there. 

If you decide to move on to wheel to wheel, then pick the class/series before you pick the car.  Lots of good options for reasonable dough in the historics world too - eg. Formula ford or formula vee.  Most of the big historic race meetings have a regularity group also.

went from sprints/reg to tarmac rally to historics (Group S). 

There's no easy route to racing. It's a long and costly exercise starting with the sprints as advised above and following Obrut's suggestion on where you want to head. And be warned - it's a long and slippery slope and once you start... Ask me how I know.

P.S. It's a ship load of fun :)

Decide on a budget, then throw that out and forget about a budget

Obrut and Airhead just about cover it, yet in the meantime I'd be going to club/state events and ask around.  Also consider annual club, license and entry fees, tyres, engine rebuilds etc

Most of all, have fun with it

Good advice from experienced drivers above. Reliable car (as opposed to an outright fast car) is a good place to start + all the right safety gear, good stuff not the cheap stuff. 

Hill climbing is also a great entry point without being too hard on a car given the short duration of the timed runs. Quite the challenge and has definitely made me a better driver. 

Plenty of options pending your level of commitment + $$$$$ investment. 

I'm biased....... but after 16 years in a Formula Vee I couldn't fault it. Very close racing wheel to wheel right throughout the field no matter your ability. Cost to buy a car can be anywhere from $12K to $30K or you can usually lease a car for $2K per round and up. They're light and easy to tow with the family car and don't take up much room in your shed.  This year I have done 6 Vic State rounds and National Champs at Eastern Creek and my total cost for the year all up including an engine freshen up, entry costs, tyres, fuel, etc etc is less than $10K. Basic maintenance and prep is straightforward and it takes a few hours to get them ready between meetings.  

Nothing against super sprints and regularity but there is something to be said for getting out there and going nose to tail and wheel to wheel with 25 other cars and trying to do what the F1 or V8 Supercar guys do. The Formula Vee fraternity in both WA and NSW are a nice bunch of guys and girls too!

Here's some of my video from Phillip Island about 6 weeks ago in a field of 23 cars. My car is an old one and something similar would be in the $12K range to buy.

I have enjoyed Super sprinting and some regularity, I think SS is a good gateway, and I'd like to get into some racing too. I do like the whole Group S concept, but don't have the means (time + money) to commit to it how I'd want to do it, at this stage of life. 

Really the best investment in any case is seat time over total $$ spent.

Will watch this thread with interest. Good luck with your pursuit 

I started back in April with a go in the Vic Supersprint Championship. Haven't looked back, ended up doing about 12 sprint days this year.

Deciding which series to run next year, might do the Victorian Supersprint Championship again, and then do either challenge bathurst or the national supersprint championship at the bend in November. Hugh's been hassling me to do a few hill climbs as well. 

I'm of the thinking that it's probably worth doing a few years of the sprints before popping my racing cherry, as I know it might be hard to go back. The 944 challenge is pretty competitive. A good entry level series with heaps of cars would be excels if you can get your head around the front wheel drive side of things. Or Formula Vee as mentioned. Costs will go up from there. 

Find what series has a good field in your state before you find a car. Go and ask a few of the guys running it at a meet what it's like. Probably best to ask someone who has crashed or broken down, then they'll give you an honest opinion. 

Good luck mate, enjoy! 

Think about a budget and what you want/can afford to do.

I spent 6K on entry fees alone last year. I don't even want to think what it cost to keep the cars running.

I'm not complaining though. Just purchased a new engine for another race car to hit the tracks with in 2019 😀

Archived