CarSales scams (and probably Scumtree etc)????

Have had a response to my for sale advert on Car Sales for our Boxster.  This is the response after I replied re price.  Pretty sure this is a scam where he'll "overpay" via Paypal and then ask for a refund to be made for the extra, before I find out that his transfer is a fake.  Does the brains trust agree???

Date: Tue, 27 Nov. 2018, 11:23 am
Subject: Re: Car sales Boxster listing
To: <t*******.com>

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work, I work with the The Australian Army Corps. we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

i am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University  ,I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $200.00 for you just to take down the  posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day, am a (Operating officer) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply

27 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Yeah - dob him into CarSales and PayPal. Next you will get the "I am in Antartica " email.

.. and you have won the Nigerian Lottery 😂

The guy can't even get the spelling of his alleged surname and that in his gmail created account aligned!!

27 minutes ago, crsedge said:

.. and you have won the Nigerian Lottery 😂

The guy can't even get the spelling of his alleged surname and that in his gmail created account aligned!!

Yep, noted that.  Pity, it's the only enquiry I've received so far 😞 

He will pay you via PayPal, collect the car and the dispute the payment through PayPal saying that (a) the car was a wreck, or (b) his account was hacked, or (c) he actually used a hacked account

He might also ask you to pay for shipping if he has no intention of actually collecting the car.  Often the "shippers" need to get pad before they turn up, and he cannot send them the funds because they (a) don't accept paypal or (b) doing a really good deal or (c) are a bunch of crooks.

In any form , this is a scam.

Sounds legit to me man, I say go for it.  Don't listen to all these grumpy, overly suspicious types.  Plus I'd be happy to act as a "middle man" for your sale.  Just send me your paypal details, bsb, account & passwords & I will do the rest. EASY. 

It's almost always gmail accounts used by the scammers. I've had a car for sale for 3 months and I've had about 5 of the type above and have had at least 50 of the initial scam texts with a usual one line inquiry question and to email them back. 95% of the time the one question asked always sounds or reads wrong or fishy.

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Have had a response to my for sale advert on Car Sales for our Boxster.  This is the response after I replied re price.  Pretty sure this is a scam where he'll "overpay" via Paypal and then ask for a refund to be made for the extra, before I find out that his transfer is a fake.  Does the brains trust agree???

Date: Tue, 27 Nov. 2018, 11:23 am
Subject: Re: Car sales Boxster listing
To: <t*******.com>

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work, I work with the The Australian Army Corps. we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

i am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University  ,I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $200.00 for you just to take down the  posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day, am a (Operating officer) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply

Royal commission has whacked ANZ and  are they now looking for a new revenue stream by joking with  Nigerian scam artists and taking a legal cut on the funds flowing through these scam artist accounts that are accounted for on Anz books (fee for some actual service that is tangible.)  Also Intrigued as to the no name brand aviation university that the son achieved top gun status at.

WOW,  no haggling, no PPI sale.  Go for it !

Wonder why he didn't didn't ask for your address so he can pick it up when if you weren't home ?  Wants everything else.

Army Corps? on-board?  No phone but internet...skype ?

What part of NT ?  Ngukurr ??

No Aviation University up there !!

Sounds legit :Chuckle2:

I always respond with

that’s amazing, I’m currently in NT and I’ll be happy to drop it off and collect cash payment at the same time! Send me your address and I’ll come around tomorrow 

8 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

scumbags need to be told that they are. Maybe one day they will realise and straighten up

I doubt it......... 🙂 

48 minutes ago, JLD said:

I always respond with

that’s amazing, I’m currently in NT and I’ll be happy to drop it off and collect cash payment at the same time! Send me your address and I’ll come around tomorrow 

I like that idea, I might try that 🙂 

I was told similar and that he wanted a 944S2 just like his mates. I asked him to describe his mates model and tell me what options it had - no answer. 

I didn't know the Army Corp sailed boats ?

True story:

I enquired about a Porsche that was advertised to be in Gunnedah

"great! what's the address. I am in Quirindi, I can be there in an hour"

Sorry the car has been transported to Darwin

"that's good, I will be there next Monday for work, where can I see it"

It is being held at one of the transport yards, don't know exactly

" that's good, there is only one up there, so I will drop in and see it"

........crickets.

What the idiot didn't know was that I was looking at the car...in Sydney

14 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

i am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University

Tell him if his son has been flying planes he'd get bored with a Boxster in a day. Best to buy him  GT2R and you know a mate who has one for sale but is on an oil rig at present and not contactable.

Also no one in the Army says they work for the Australian Army Corps. 

They just say the Army or Australian Army.

Even when I was in the Army I never heard the word Corps used as he has used it.

The bad spelling and grammar is there to identify people of limited brainpower who make the best marks.  If the responses were well written and sounded legit to the average person then the scammer would get too many replies.

people are still falling for it every day.

The bad spelling and grammar is there to identify people of limited brainpower who make the best marks.  If the responses were well written and sounded legit to the average person then the scammer would get too many replies.

people are still falling for it every day.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27 November 2018 at 21:57, Jason E said:

Sounds legit to me man, I say go for it.  Don't listen to all these grumpy, overly suspicious types.  Plus I'd be happy to act as a "middle man" for your sale.  Just send me your paypal details, bsb, account & passwords & I will do the rest. EASY. 

Jason

I have a package coming from overseas, can I use your work address for my delivery? I'll buy you a coffee for your trouble.

Archived