Small fender bender - impact bumpers

cafe_racer

Hi All,

Well someone reversed into me yesterday, jammed on the horn but that wasn't enough to alert them...

Either way, seems the impact bumpers did their job of absorbing some of the shock, i think due to it being a high up 4WD it seems to have pressed the impact bumpers down as opposed to directly in.  I'll be taking it to Porsche Melb for a quote to be repaired, however what is the view of people here on what may need to be done to get it back to perfect?  I'd say the impact absorber (part 14 in the diagram below) is cactus.

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

911_1983_8_02_802-00.jpg

I believe only US cars got the deformable shock absorber, yours will most likely be #13 (deformable mount), otherwise it should have sprung back? The US ones were designed to withstand an 8 km/h (5 mph) impact and the whole bar had to remain undamaged, the R.O.W. cars did not get these, just the bellows.

Interesting, thanks for the info @ANF .   So looks like the bumper shock is different for ROW cars, hence it not springing back.  Either way should be interesting to get it apart and see what the damage is!  For a minor bump i'm guessing it isn't going to be cheap...Thankfully she is insured!

Slightly wrong.  The row cars get a crush tube - the one pictured.  The us cars have an actual shock which will go in and out over and over again.  It is much heavier as well.

The row cars have to get a new tube to spring Bach out again as already said.

back in the day when the us came up with these horrendous things all cars had to have standard height bumpers which is why the us cars had s higher ride height.

7 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Slightly wrong.  The row cars get a crush tube - the one pictured.  The us cars have an actual shock which will go in and out over and over again.  It is much heavier as well.

The row cars have to get a new tube to spring Bach out again as already said.

back in the day when the us came up with these horrendous things all cars had to have standard height bumpers which is why the us cars had s higher ride height.

How is that slightly wrong when that is exactly what I said!

I'm no panel beater but I will have a guess.

part 2 bent ?  Hopefully holding bumper in deformed position.  Was the bumper pushed in and deformed ?  Has the rubber smile been damaged (captive bolts ripped out)?

bumper

crush tube

oil cooler ?  brackets bent and mountings broken, fan (if fitted) plus wiring

horn plus brackets + wiring

bellows torn or deformed

misc bolts and clips

misc inner guard repairs

paint ?  

Front valance, check for damage

remove and replace parts to gain access  (eg: the bumper rubber, blinkers)

Labour ?

Check...Was any damage transferred to the left side of the car?  guard, other crush tube and mount position, bellows, clips

You are right, not a cheap fix,  It's usually the unseen stuff that brings the price up. Hope it's not this bad.

32 minutes ago, ANF said:

How is that slightly wrong when that is exactly what I said!

believe only US cars got the deformable impact absorber

The US impact absorber is not the deformable one. It’s a shock absorber.  

@OZ930 looks like it could be a pretty comprehensive repair!  Thanks everyone for the info.

So I have the ability to elect my repairer, I put it down as Porsche Center Melbourne who have sent me to George & Co Body Works who are a Porsche Certified Collision Center.  Anyone here have any experience with them?

16 hours ago, Coastr said:

Yes, sorry I used the wrong words, but the shock absorber one was what I was intending to say

8 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

@OZ930 looks like it could be a pretty comprehensive repair!  Thanks everyone for the info.

So I have the ability to elect my repairer, I put it down as Porsche Center Melbourne who have sent me to George & Co Body Works who are a Porsche Certified Collision Center.  Anyone here have any experience with them?

Havent heard of them but if they turn out no good, RJP in Moorabbin are also certified and have been around long enough to have had plenty of experience with older cars. They did a great job on mine.

8 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

George & Co (North Williamstown Motor Body Works) have been in the game for a long time they have been working on Porsches since the 80's.. 

On 28/11/2018 at 16:56, OZ930 said:

I'm no panel beater but I will have a guess.

part 2 bent ?  Hopefully holding bumper in deformed position.  Was the bumper pushed in and deformed ?  Has the rubber smile been damaged (captive bolts ripped out)?

bumper

crush tube

oil cooler ?  brackets bent and mountings broken, fan (if fitted) plus wiring

horn plus brackets + wiring

bellows torn or deformed

misc bolts and clips

misc inner guard repairs

paint ?  

Front valance, check for damage

remove and replace parts to gain access  (eg: the bumper rubber, blinkers)

Labour ?

Check...Was any damage transferred to the left side of the car?  guard, other crush tube and mount position, bellows, clips

You are right, not a cheap fix,  It's usually the unseen stuff that brings the price up. Hope it's not this bad.

$25K

On 28/11/2018 at 17:12, Coastr said:

My Hong Kong import had the shocks too

I should be getting the quote for the insurers today/tomorrow, i'll report back and we can see who got the closest!

Whilst it is in there am getting all new seals for front and rear window as well as the targa roof...Ain't going to be cheap!

Archived