the clutch job

brian in buddina

I am now, I hope, at the half way point of replacing my clutch on my 1988 944s. 220Km on the original rubber clutch. I've spent the last 2 weekends, obviously part time, trying to remove one bolt on the bracket for the speed sensors. Finally have removed the clutch bell housing to expose the clutch. Lucky that I'm doing this for fun and relaxation!

I've been watching Van Svenson and also Irina's German videos on You Tube and Clarks Garage.

While I’m in there I might as well…     So now a few questions for the Brain trust: 

1.   the 2 "needle sleeves" item 15 in the clutch fork. Should I replace these bearings with a Porsche part or can I pick up generic bearing replacement?

2.   Is there anything I should check on the clutch fork for wear? Other than the needle sleeves mentioned above?

3.   Van Svenson said in his video to replace the guide sleeve, item 12. Irina's video didn't mention it. 
106055235_bellhousingimage.thumb.jpg.b853693bfaa13a309e5a088b3329d748.jpg

4.   My rear main seal is leaking. At least that’s where I think some of the oil is from. So I will replace that.

5.   My rear main bearing I take it that should be replaced. Should I be getting a Porsche part here?

6.   How do I know if the flywheel needs re surfacing/grind?

Is there anything else before I start re assembly?

Its pretty essential to replace the guide tube as they tend to crack with age. it may look ok but they are pretty cheap from BWA. replace it. Same goes with the needle bearings and have a look at the clutch fork pivot shaft for any wear. Always get the flywheel resurfaced as well, its really not worth the risk to have clutch shudder after a big job like a 944 clutch. Other items we always replace are the clutch plate bolts, flywheel bolts and spigot bearing. That way you know its going to work as it should. You can get these parts from Porsche but I'm sure BWA and Autohaus will be cheaper

Regards

Sean

3 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@Mike D'Silva

If I'm stumped, which is often, I call @Rob

He answers promptly; "any blood?"

... and there usually is!  I think Sean has answered most of your question and I'm sure he would say - yes of course replace the crank rear seal.  Sean will correct me if I'm wrong, but replacing the main bearings on a 944, even the rear one, is an engine-out job.  They aren't like a 911 IMS bearing, and you probably don't need to replace it anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately not much in the last couple weeks @Rob . I've bought a house & moved so I've been a little distracted. A mate had a car carrying trailer to move the immobile clutchless pcar to its new home. I've now the proud owner of an oversized double garage. Half pcar parking spot and half work shop. Another former mechanic friend turned, on a wood lathe, a clutch centre ing tool for me. So all good to go. Just need to organise the garage to make some space to work. And dog proof the back yard.

Are you going to make it to Russ's on the 30th. I need to check with Russ if its a dog friendly BBQ.

Lucky I didn't buy your turbo or I would have have a bigger mortgage.

image.jpeg

Archived