Tyre Blackener

Lucky Phil

Unsure if Blackener is a real word but it explains what I am looking for.

I think I have asked this question before but cannot find the post so I am asking again.

What tyre "blackener" do people use.  I have been using Maguairs Hot Shine Tyre Gel for years but I am sick and tired of the excess splatter I get on my cars (they are all white by the way). I have tried everything to ensure that the stuff is applied so it will not spatter, but there is always some excess in the groves and my nice clean car has black dots all down the side after the next drive.  It drives me crazy.

I use a Meguiars manual spray bottle (non-aerosol) and spray it onto a rag I have been using for some time.  I then wipe the rag over the tyre rather than spraying directly to avoid overspray onto the paintwork.  The rag isn't that porous given I have used it many times which works even better, I don't really notice I am using any more liquid with this method, maybe a little more when you start with a new rag.  I then use a cleaner rag to buff slightly after leaving it for a minute or two.

As per poli's post above, wipe whatever you decide to use on, don't spray it.

I'm surprised by that @Lucky Phil. I use the Meguiars Hot tyre shine gel for the very reason that it doesn't  sling. I use applicator pads which gives a good coverage and gloss but at the same time seems to take away any excess, which is the cause of sling usually. Wait have some decent applicators...

In my younger years I used nugget boot polish but this did take some time to apply and buff each wheel.  They did look shiny though.  Like a new pair of shoes.  I also used Selleys Tire Black paint which was painted on with a brush and allowed to dry like normal paint but again a real time consumer and it used to splash when being applied (not good for the concrete). 

@Andy73 I use a sponge applicator but the problem persists.  The Gell I use is a clear product called "High Gloss".  Maybe it's just old and Maguiars have now improved the formula.  I have had this particular bottle for years. 

The other problem with the Maguiars product is that it never dries.  If you walk past the car too close and brush against the tyre you get covered in the stuff.  I got into big trouble last time we went out in the car as some spattered onto the door sill and Lynda got it all over her nice clean pink pants that she was wearing when exiting the vehicle.  She was not happy.

What do car yards use? 

34 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

The other problem with the Maguiars product is that it never dries.  If you walk past the car too close and brush against the tyre you get covered in the stuff.  I got into big trouble last time we went out in the car as some spattered onto the door sill and Lynda got it all over her nice clean pink pants that she was wearing when exiting the vehicle.  She was not happy.

I always caution my entire family not to step within a six foot radius of the car after tyre black has been applied!

I am going to throw a curve ball here perhaps, but I don't use a tyre shine anymore... 

What I now use is Mothers Back to Black, or Mothers Naturally Black as I think it is now called! It is intended for black plastic and rubber trims, but I use it because it 1) doesn't make a mess 2) looks more natural and not too glossy 3) easy to apply as its a gel 

I know other concourse guys who use this trick too... as i said, its more natural finish, the tyre doesn't look wet, just looks like a nice new tyre. 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

I am going to throw a curve ball here perhaps, but I don't use a tyre shine anymore... 

What I now use is Mothers Back to Black, or Mothers Naturally Black as I think it is now called! It is intended for black plastic and rubber trims, but I use it because it 1) doesn't make a mess 2) looks more natural and not too glossy 3) easy to apply as its a gel 

I know other concourse guys who use this trick too... as i said, its more natural finish, the tyre doesn't look wet, just looks like a nice new tyre. 

+1 for Mothers Naturally Black. 

This is an excellent product on black rubber spoilers, tyres etc. I've been using it for years including multiple concourse events.

Definitely more of a clean natural finish void of the artificial glow.  The rear spoiler on my 928 S4 and whale tale, front valence and chin spoiler on the 3.2 Carrera always come up a treat.

Autoglym tire dressing ,,gives a clean new tire look not shiny or glossy and also have a Adams tire and rubber cleaner this  gives  similar  results  but Autoglym is easier to get .............. :)

I am not a fan of glossy shiny tires ...

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

@JB what do you use?

Hey Phil if we are talking higher end tyre dressing, the autoglym and meguires are good stuff. Volume based we use a autoklene tyre cream which is good, however key to removing sling is all in the application, from how much the applicator already has on it, to how much is applied, then dabbed away.

there are other ways to achieve similar outcomes for longevity. Silicone spray, but as @hughsaid incorrect application can transfer onto paint then have to be wiped away. We also use a liquid sheen product that works very well. Trim rejuvenator is good but seeps into the rubber and becomes an expensive exercise over time. My personal preference is silicone then wiped.

a lot of the time it comes down to personal choice, but the key ingredient is application. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

In my younger years I used nugget boot polish but this did take some time to apply and buff each wheel.  They did look shiny though.  Like a new pair of shoes. 

Old school , works very well. Much nicer than anything with silicone in it. Imagine that in the oceans , being ingested by turtles.

I've still got marks on my driveway from overspray with the supercheap spray on stuff that shows up after it rains.   Been there for years.  Spray on stuff is easy to use though, particularly if you tend to be a little lazy in that regard like me.  OCD hasn't properly set in although i do like things to be generally tidy...

To get them to look black you need to clean the tyre before applying the dressing. Rubber holds onto dirt and makes the sidewalls turn brown overtime. I use Adam’s tyre and rubber cleaner with a scrubbing brush and then dress them with carpro Perl . A final wipe leaves a nice matte black finish.

Selleys Tyre Black!  I remember that stuff and the inevitable brush marks on the rim lip from incorrect application...as well as the brush marks in the tyre sidewall because the brush was old and manky.  The car yards used to slap that stuff on by the gallon.

What do car yards use?  I think most use the cheapest silicon based products out there.  I try and avoid anything silicon based for cleaning because of residue and general nastiness, but I'm still using up older supplies that are still in the garage.  I have a meguiars product in a clear spray on that I forget the name of, and if you put that into a foam pad and rub on works pretty well.

Not averse to a quick hit with the cheap foamy spray on for the less important cars in the fleet, but I find it goes everywhere and I regret it afterwards.  You end up having to clean rims.  I once made a carboard template to hold against the rims for the quick spray.  But tending to go away from that because of the splatter.

I'm also a fan of getting a big stiff bristled scrubbing brush into the sidewall and shoulder while cleaning.  Just a good scrubbing can work wonders and funnily enough comes up with a natural rubber look.  Takes a bit of elbow grease though.  Half the time you're just removing whatever last product was put on the tyre that has gone into a gunky manky grey coating.

Archived