New Import Laws applying from 2019

Coastr

I chatted with a guy who has been bringing in cars for over 25 years - just a few weeks ago. His comment- nothing much will change based on current legislation proposed.

One thing he noted, a lot of cars leaving for Asia 

I just sold my GT40 and it’s gone to Hong Kong

The export to Asia with certain collectables has been happening for a coupe of years. Some of the price rise on MB 280SL pagodas has been attributed to out flow to HK, Malaysia and Jakarta. 

Well done on the sale of your GT40. I know Karl was keen to get his hands on that and add the Dutton tax 😁

10 hours ago, rafikdous said:

image.png.f8047bb2429b097175aeb5c73721d573.pngOk, I just wasted half hour reading the double dutch on the parliament site and also on the Infrastructure site and I am none the wiser

Simple question, can you now import a 25+ years old 964 or not?

If yes, how? The only options available on the vehicle import site are either personal import (own it for more than 12 months overseas) or through the RAWS

Go here for eligibility assessment and see what I mean

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/quiz/

I don’t think it is law yet.  While the legislation passed there is a gap to it actually becoming effective which is why the public website still shows the old information.

ironically watching Mighty Car Mods is a good source - Marty bought a Nissan March super turbo which is not eligible under the current laws (newer than 1989) but is eligible under the new laws (over 25 years old).  This is the same as a 964.  But it’s sitting in Japan waiting on the laws to become effective.  They work with importers regularly so will be on top if it when it changes.

• 4 weeks later...

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/new.aspx

"The Road Vehicle Standards legislation will commence on 10 December 2019. Please familiarise yourself with the legislation and the requirements under the new legislation. The commencement of the new legislation means that the import applications submitted for concessional approval need to meet the requirements set out in the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019."

Looks like the "floodgates" will open on December 10!!

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, ANF said:

Bad news, the introduction of new import laws is being pushed back, maybe up to 2 years...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/776439/brakes-slammed-on-left-hand-drive-supercars-grey-import-used-cars-get-stay-of-execution/?source=plista

Oh how surprising, the Government can’t stick to it’s own timeframes or make anything positive happen. 

Yep, also the grubment knew of the loophole to let in non special grey imports since the 90s but has done nothing... supposedly one of the big things the new laws are to get rid of....

It looks like Queensland has already approved the new laws? Well the part that let's supercars be left hand drive?

"leaving some unwitting buyers with dearer insurance premiums and a lack of parts or servicing support."

wont someone please protect Australian consumers against greater choice and lower prices?  If you're thick enough to buy an import car without knowing what it is, then you deserve higher premiums.  I bet zero dealers pretend the cars are not imports.

""It estimates about 5800 cars were imported under these guidelines last year, a sharp decline on previous years."

gee that wouldn't be the draconian asbestos testing, would it?

how I despise these articles, full of supposition and motherhood statements and short on actual facts.  You Australians will get used to monopolies, and you'll like it!

• 1 month later...