986 Boxster option/s "P60"

edgy

Hi, 

We've purchased a first year (1997) 986 Boxster, upon running the VIN with Porsche Cars Australia we received back all the M-codes as you do, but in addition received an extra piece of information pertaining to the build spec.

The option code is called P60 Appearance Pack, this package denotes: X1V9, MA, 396.

Translated; 

• X1 = Arctic Silver Body colour
  • V9 = Black top
  • MA = Boxster Red special leather interior
  • 396 = Carrera 17" twist wheels 

I was drawn to the car not just for its condition and provenance, but the RS60 esque colour combination, which is, as you all know, what the concept Boxster also wore. Now PCA cant tell me if that P60 package offered ONLY these colours/options exclusively to the package, and whether the naming P60 has any ties to the RS60 namesake, but my suspicion is that is does, granted they later released an RS60 edition, but my reasons are anecdotal at best! 

Would be interested if anyone knows or even has an old option listing and/or local catalogue.

Cheers

37 minutes ago, edgy said:

Hi, 

We've purchased a first year (1997) 986 Boxster, upon running the VIN with Porsche Cars Australia we received back all the M-codes as you do, but in addition received an extra piece of information pertaining to the build spec.

The option code is called P60 Appearance Pack, this package denotes: X1V9, MA, 396.

Translated; 

• X1 = Arctic Silver Body colour
  • V9 = Black top
  • MA = Boxster Red special leather interior
  • 396 = Carrera 17" twist wheels 

I was drawn to the car not just for its condition and provenance, but the RS60 esque colour combination, which is, as you all know, what the concept Boxster also wore. Now PCA cant tell me if that P60 package offered ONLY these colours/options exclusively to the package, and whether the naming P60 has any ties to the RS60 namesake, but my suspicion is that is does, granted they later released an RS60 edition, but my reasons are anecdotal at best! 

Would be interested if anyone knows or even has an old option listing and/or local catalogue.

Cheers

Mate has exactly same colour combo in a very early car too.  Was dropping in to see him tonight, will ask if his service book sticker shows same, otherwise I will get VIN and perhaps run it as well. Does black top just refer to hood colour, or is it supposed to mean a hardtop?

52 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Mate has exactly same colour combo in a very early car too.  Was dropping in to see him tonight, will ask if his service book sticker shows same, otherwise I will get VIN and perhaps run it as well. Does black top just refer to hood colour, or is it supposed to mean a hardtop?

Just the fabric top that I can make out. The odd thing is its not specified on the sticker under the frunk hood or even in the book, not sure how they determined this, perhaps its internal only to PCA? I doubt the 6 digit sales type number reveals anything as such?

3 hours ago, edgy said:

Just the fabric top that I can make out. The odd thing is its not specified on the sticker under the frunk hood or even in the book, not sure how they determined this, perhaps its internal only to PCA? I doubt the 6 digit sales type number reveals anything as such?

He was going to check his sticker, so he won't find anything then.  I'll get him to give me the VIN at a more opportune time - his mum's funeral is tomorrow, and he has heart bypass surgery on Saturday, so he's got more important things to worry about at the moment....

Edgy, I strongly think it may be an internal code - otherwise known as "hero colours" ie the launch car colours and rims. Black top will definately be black canvas not a hardtop. ,y 2000 S has exactly those colours and (had) those rims, and is optioned very well according to the sticker but no mention anywhere on sticker etc of "P60" or Appearance pack in any literature I've got.

15 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

He was going to check his sticker, so he won't find anything then.  I'll get him to give me the VIN at a more opportune time - his mum's funeral is tomorrow, and he has heart bypass surgery on Saturday, so he's got more important things to worry about at the moment....

No stress, totally understandable. 

15 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Edgy, I strongly think it may be an internal code - otherwise known as "hero colours" ie the launch car colours and rims. Black top will definately be black canvas not a hardtop. ,y 2000 S has exactly those colours and (had) those rims, and is optioned very well according to the sticker but no mention anywhere on sticker etc of "P60" or Appearance pack in any literature I've got.

Cool, I am with you there, its nowhere in the M codes list, so I think its definitely a PCA internal option code.. I was quite surprised to find that out about it. 

On 13/12/2018 at 10:47, Dave986 said:

P60 signifies the following:

P = Porsche

60 = the minimum number of times a 911 owner will try to tell you the Boxster is a hairdressers car before you start to threaten them with a punch in the guts 😂

I'm ready for the onslaught of hairdressing comments... my best mate picked it up for me, told me its a really nice girls car... :lol:

Archived