Car Seat bling - Tartan me up!

Philbee

So, my interior is black, I mean pretty much everything.... Awhile back, I added some red belts to add some colour. Made an improvement. But still need more I feel. Decided to investigate getting some seat colour... I mean how many singer interior pics can you look at without doing something about it!! Man is not a camel, right? 

Been checking out the tartan and houndstooth look. The houndstooth is so classic and stylish, like it heaps. Very tempted. So 911R.... But for my car being all black in and out, I want  more colour... more bling to lighten it up a bit. So, leaning towards the tartan. The search continued...

Ive  updated my exterior decals to  red (was orange... was not a fan of the orange), so with my black car, I'm looking for a red/black tartan. Its been a challenge as so many tartans are loaded with blues, greens or yellows... and I didnt want the base colour white as it would be too bright for me. its been hard finding one without those other colours and with the right proportion of red, black & white. Then there's the fabric... light, heavy, pure wool or synthetic, etc... Hmmm, its hard finding out stuff.

Here's my original interior,  pre-red belts. A bit dull/drab, eh?

Car seats

I've now weened my selection down to a few:

Coming in at 4th:  

Tart

In 3rd place:

Tart

And in 2nd place... and almost got pole position:

Tart

Sorry, about the lousy pic quality above.

But... sitting up in 1st place... the winning entry is (drum roll pls):

Tart

I got a sample of this winning entry shipped to me to be sure it looks the same as the web pic. Hello!! 20pounds postage thanks!  Over $40 AUS to touch it. Ouch!

Anyway, a few emails later, this only comes in a lightweight pure wool (10oz) fabric ... which is not ideal but in checking with my upholsterer he's ok with its hardiness. After all, the car is not a DD so it wont get sat in every day. Polyviscose or a heavier wool (13oz, 16oz) is better I'm told. I need about 2m in length.

I'm going to replace just the centre corduroy inserts. The black sides will remain. For the head rests I'm thinking of not doing them in red tartan but just replace the corduroy with a like for like black vinyl as the sides (bolsters) are. So, the head rest will just be plain vinyl black.

Booked in for early next year.. pics and update hopefully by end of Jan 2019. I'm excited.

53 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Maybe Google your last name and corresponding tartan to see if you like it. Will give a personal touch to your car 

Ha... I’d like to see that, I have a Greek name !!  Oopah zorba!

No, it’s not baklava!!

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

This is very cool for your car Phil, and the below below one is pretty hot, could look just right in your rod, lots of personality in that combo!

I know, they’re all pretty good. It comes down to a personal choice.

10 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Zito Ellas!!! - Surely Blue and White tartan?

Yes, haha... blue/white with the odd garlic stain...!  I can hear the bazouki music already.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 18:59, tazzieman said:

I have the Black Watch tartan. You can buy a matching kilt. Or plusfours if you're a golfist.

I've been known to play the occasionally golf. Hmmm, tartan daks could be interesting... even for the next cars & coffee!

BTW, the cosmetic surgery is set for Jan 15th.... should be ready for Hangar Bangar2, the first official unveiling. Might ask Mark Webber and Maria Sharapova to do a presentation, in the all new 992 style!!  ...Too much? 😊

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Gethefuchouttahere, those look fantastic! I scrolled to the bottom of the page for the new post and they smacked me in the eyes! Great choice Phil

Thanks mate, it took quite a bit of googling, going through several Scottish websites to not have blue or yellow in the mix... was keen to on only have red, white and black or a combo of these.

2 hours ago, MFX said:

Nice work, I am a well known tartan supporter. Tartan the world!

Thanks Jeff, kinda fell for that classic tartan  look too once I saw a few online... 

Although, I was close to doing houndstooth.... 

Archived