Sydney hail storm

D2000

Anyone cop any damage?

Thankfully my 996 was safely tucked away in its garage. Our old Kluger copped some while being driven - although given the age and condition of the car may not be worth an insurance claim. 

I was lucky just some small hail then very heavy rain for 20 minutes or so ....................some  suburbs really got hammered hard with hail stones tennis ball size ,very high winds etc

https://au.yahoo.com/news/massive-hailstones-pummel-cars-homes-severe-storms-lash-sydney-080602310.html

😨

Up here, just north of Sydney according to the news, we had a brilliant display of mamatus cloud followed by a lighning show, winds up to 70knots (not km/hr) with horizontal rain. (12.5ml), visibility reduced to 20 metres. No hail, just branches.  Aftermath was trees across the driveway, trees and branches down all over the block and fences crushed.

No damaged to vehicles, no injuries, so all good.  Just a lot of chainsawing and fence repairs.

Update: just walked the boundary and the fences aren't as bad as first thought.  Small (50mm) branches over one section, no breakage, the worst is a 300 mm white box branch near the bore that took out 6 sections of wire fence.  Guess I know what I am doing today.  Plenty of fire wood in the future. 😊

13 minutes ago, Typ9xx said:

Here's the sky at Chatswood just before it hit. No hail in the area, just a butt load of water and lighting...OMG the lightning! Love a good thundery (when you're on the ground ;) ).

1679kt0.jpg

That looks like a scene from the Independence Day movie 😳

We had a number of trees and branches down on our property. We lost power for about 24 hours.  Our main fridge along with a TV and PVR died. No cars were injured.  Relatively unscathed compared to the ridge to the east of us which is Dural, Glenorie and into the Sydney northwestern suburbs who copped it again from the prior weekend.

• 2 months later...

"Giant hailstones about to hit Sydney"

You guys are really pissing the gods off!

And Sydney was voted the 10th worst city in the world today.
WTF? It used to be OK to visit, I spent many a tourist $ there in the past. Now , like the Gold Coast , we avoid.

No hailstones in our area in Willoughby but a nice light and sound show!

I took a look at flight radar last night and was amazed at the amount of flights doing circles in holding patterns and being diverted. No doubt some were running low on fuel by that time and took priority. Saw one plane from Canberra heading to Sydney flying around for about 2 hours then went straight back to Canberra. Noticed planes still landing near midnight to get through the back log past the curfew. 

Not a great afternoon/evening for travelers!

My daughter works for a football club in Ryde and they got smashed with the hail and had lightening strike the pitch, fortunately they had moved inside.

I have been trying to get a small parking ding in the door done by paintless dent guys as I prepare my Macan for sale. Of the very few that return a message or call the feedback is they are not taking on new work. Those that have shops as well as vans have taken the vans off the road and using the teams in the workshop to get through the volume of work. 

Looks like a lot of people/dealers still getting stuff sorted since December and last nights storm is not going to help the situation. Looks like I’ll be selling the car with a small ding in the door 😞

22 hours ago, tazzieman said:

"Giant hailstones about to hit Sydney"

You guys are really pissing the gods off!

And Sydney was voted the 10th worst city in the world today.
WTF? It used to be OK to visit, I spent many a tourist $ there in the past. Now , like the Gold Coast , we avoid.

10th worst city in the world ,,This certainly dose not surprise me  :( Cost of living is just out of control ..city,s infrastructure and road net work are totally inadequate to cope with the city,s population ..All you do is pay pay and pay 

I had to drive to the north shore today and it cost me $41 dollars just in tolls ,,,,,,it really has gotten beyond a Joke when you have to pay that on top of rego CTP and your insurance just to move around the city   :rolleyes: 

4 minutes ago, Raven said:

I had to drive to the north shore today and it cost me $41 dollars just in tolls ,,,,,,it really has gotten beyond a Joke when you have to pay that on top of rego CTP and your insurance just to move around the city   :rolleyes: 

Move to Byron. But not to Hobart!

Archived