964 blowing 'dust' out of ventilation

twro

Hi, hopefully someone here can help. My 964 (1990 C2) has been blowing 'dust' out of the ventilation ducts on start-up now for sometime. I've had the car serviced at two local Melbourne trust-worthy Porsche experts, and it even has them stumped.

Has anyone experienced this before? 

At the servicing, the dust issue improves after proper blowing/sucking through the ventilation system, but after a while it returns.

The 'dust' is a white / grey colour - a bit chunkier than real dust. Not a lot of it, just a fine powder that sprays out on start-up.

Thanks for any help.

I experienced the exact same problem with my 964 several years ago. The car sat around for several months while the top end was being rebuilt. When I picked the car up, a substantial amount of  'dust' sprayed out all over the interior. It looked to me like aluminium  oxide and so I assumed it was corrosion from the air conditioning evaporator and a replacement was imminent. The problem persisted for about 6 months (gradually reducing in frequency and amount) and then stopped. Air conditioning still going strong so I have stopped worrying. I hope you haven't just jinxed me.. 😊

I had a similar issue soon after purchasing a 993 - eventually a slightly larger piece of dust came out the vent and I realised it was a very soft type of foam.  The guys at Autohaus (where I'd purchased it) suggested it was part of the HVAC system that was degrading and that it wasn't anything serious.  They also suggested it wasn't worth worrying about unless I wanted to replace/refurb the whole system.  So I monitored the problem and after about 3 weeks (driving twice a week) it stopped.  Didn't seem to have any impact on the effectiveness of either heat or air con so I'm not really sure where it might have come from.  I believe the 993 had done very little driving in the 4 yrs prior to our purchase.

Archived