The Opeless Tower

Big City people , is this true? Are building standards lax in the rush for profit? And is the tower actually leaning or is it a trick of the eye? 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/huge-pressure-developers-cutting-costs-are-root-cause-of-defects-20181226-p50o97.html

I'd be out of that building like shit through a  goose.
A few more wild weather events and it's toast..or perhaps muesli. IMO!

Mate, its rife throughout the building game. I do robe installations for big building companies, and often hear the horror stories from the owners. One very recently, the client noticed some gaps forming where the cornice meets the wall in his very high end build and had the 'well respected high end' builder repair it and repaint. No problems for a week, then heard a couple of cracks early in the morning and thought it was just the house 'settling in'. An hour later BANG CRASH SMASH.... The whole ceiling collapsed. Ofcourse the builder is absolving himself from any responsibility as usual (it was his personal crew who built the whole house) and the bloke is in for a big fight in the courts. 

Another recent one, 108 defects in a townhouse (there are 40 onsite) and they've banned anyone going inside that house (box) until it has passed all inspections. Clients are justifiably screaming for compensation, as its costing them rent plus the mortgage they're paying for their house. Who built it? Imports...nuff said. Now ALL 40 are being inspected

This place you posted, I bet any money that the builders/developers get away with any compensation to the owners, as the law seems to protect them before the occupants/buyers. If that's what they can see now, what else has been done dodgy? 

And the builders, developers and owners will still enjoy their trust funds whilst the people they have ripped off with a shit building endure the hassles and probable financial losses of a devalued property. But that doesn't matter does it? Japanese company...what do you expect? Just surprised its not a Chinese company, though they probably have some dirty fingers in the company pies. You watch these assholes file for bankruptcy and move to Sanctuary Cove to enjoy the cash they have hidden among their families

53 minutes ago, LeeM said:

And the builders, developers and owners will still enjoy their trust funds whilst the people they have ripped off with a shit building endure the hassles and probable financial losses of a devalued property. But that doesn't matter does it? Japanese company...what do you expect? Just surprised its not a Chinese company, though they probably have some dirty fingers in the company pies. You watch these assholes file for bankruptcy and move to Sanctuary Cove to enjoy the cash they have hidden among their families

It's a haunted house now.

It'd be easier to sell Ivan Mallats place.

9 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Side note - why the hell is it so expensive in Sovereign Islands? Is that where all the development money ends up or what? Or is just where the Chinese have been buying?

Yes

Yes

20 minutes ago, firstone said:

It's a haunted house now.

It'd be easier to sell Ivan Mallats place.

I was thinking the Amityville house (Google it if you don't know), though definitely tainted that's for sure 

I won't say I saw this coming years ago , but I did.

Some salient points raised here. Luckily I haven't "invested" in one of these buildings.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/the-farreaching-consequences-of-opal-tower/news-story/2326a65696330c04ac03747b82e83187

“I’m old enough to remember working on building sites when I was a lad. And there’d be a clerk of works who oversaw the whole thing from start to finish, who kind of patrolled and policed the site … They don’t have those things any more. The best they have is a project manager who comes down every so often in a nice suit with a laptop and a spreadsheet.”

A mob I install for have 2 site supervisors permanently onsite that go over every job once its completed, then they sign it off the same day. Any problems, they'll tell you straight away and expect them corrected within 5 days. A great way to ensure quality workmanship 

I'll add that nearly every trade I deal with (usually carpenters and flushers) when walls and floors are out of level by 20-30mm etc usually say 'its within tolerance mate'. Going by Australian standards, it most definitley is NOT within building code and should be rectified, instead of me having to make it look right by installing a panel 20-30mm out of level to suit a door architrave that is visually on the piss. I'm no carpenter, but even I can see its dodgy work and usually is when I put a 2metre level on it. Lots of trades just handball problems, yet it all comes down to whoever did the framing or the floors. I see it nearly every job, and can guarantee there is no way I'd build a new house unless I supervised every facet of the process 

Couldn't agree more Lee.

I live in a house that was built in the early part of last century. Lets see how many houses built this century still survive to this time next century. 

Not many I wager.

@3legs Oh I've done loads of old homes when I was doing retail installations where the walls and floors are anywhere from 20-50mm out of level which are usually in beachside areas like Semaphore/West Lakes etc (have seen 100mm there before and ALWAYS solid walls like butter so I can't get a fixing), yet I think a lot of today's trades mostly just don't give a toss, finish the job and take the cash with no responsibility, as they rarely fix anything THEY have done unless they have some morals. 

Oh geez thanks Lee. Now I'm going worry about my house falling apart around me. As if these hot nights make it hard to sleep you have to go and say that 😁😁😁

Kidding🤣

BTW Boxster to Buiks around the 15th. Oh and Craig got your photo😀

25 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Oh geez thanks Lee. Now I'm going worry about my house falling apart around me. As if these hot nights make it hard to sleep you have to go and say that 😁😁😁

Kidding🤣

BTW Boxster to Buiks around the 15th. Oh and Craig got your photo😀

😁 Watch out mate! Nah, your area is usually pretty solid from what I've done around there mate, as it's an old wog area, so they usually overbuild everything 😁 (no offence to the European forum members). Usually bloody high ceilings too which was always a bastard when I had to fit 3000mm x 500mm facias to the ceilings on my own! Part of the reason why I don't do retail anymore 😁

I call it "The Slanty Shanty", and it's the first of many such stories to come. Dodgy builders with certifiers and councils in their pockets, councils with developers on their boards, conflicts of interest aplenty. There are tens of thousands of units going up around Olympic Park (with no accompanying infrastructure), all of which will be virtually worthless one day. They are building the slums of tomorrow, and you couldn't pay me to live there.

2019-01-07_02-38-28

I did strata title ONCE.

Only 8 units. Construction issues from the 90s when local council inspectors where in control.

The units where all ground floor in blocks of 4. The block I was in had a concrete slab floor and I presumed the other block was the same. 

No. The other block was built on stumps around 350mm off the ground at the front and 800 at the rear. The bearers where undersize and the circulation wasn't sufficient. Water had got under the building and ruined the floor. This block also only had a stud gyprock wall between them. No firewall. 

I sold out. 

Like I said ONCE.

Besides, I'm way too controlling. 😂

Hey it's not the only one

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Why-sinking-SF-tower-is-now-a-top-tourist-13231133.php

i agree anything strata titled is not an investment but an invitation to question your sanity.  Doubly so for anything with a lift, gym/pool facilities and anything else flash.

if you want to live in a shiny tower invest in something else and pay the apartment rent from your investment.

Archived