986 Door speakers

Dave997S

So, Santa didn’t bring me that GT3 Touring I asked for (bastard) so I might spend a few $$ on the Boxster and put some door speakers in.

I did a quick search on the forum for a similar topic but couldn’t find any references.

What have others done / installed?

I put in DLS 6.5 inch in the doors, retained the factory 3.5 inch in the dash and added some DLS 1inch and a 8 inch sub in the passenger footwell. Connected to a double din Kenwood head unit and power amp in the frunk. F2A08C4D-BAA2-439D-BAE0-DB5188DBFBA9.thumb.jpeg.1109b88b4cdfc10996b34c6dd2f1cffb.jpeg

First decide whether you want single or double din. I went double purely for the rear camera desire.

Most importantly is replacing the speakers! You will find direct replacement sizes for the 'base' speakers in the doors. Again, a miriad of options, I am a fan of Infinity Kappa.

The real pain are the dash speakers as the only real replacement are 4" and where the challenge really lies in in the fitting. Don't waste your time or money buying any tab like holders as they do not work! The only real solution is to sacrifice the original speakers and fit the new into the frame and hot glue gun them in. Pretty sure rennlist has a thread on this. Been a few years so the memory is a little vague on where.

Good luck!

I went for the Audison AP8's in a similar situation.  Lovely full sound and great value.  Not sure if the 986 has the same space and my 987, but the 8" went in there without drama in an hour.

Archived