Fuel pump relay '78 SC

LeeM

If you get stranded, swap in a black one as a temp fix.  Use one from the windows or demist circuit.   

I think the fuel relay is rated for higher current but a lesser relay should get you home.  This worked for me driving from Geelong back to Melbourne. 

Buy a couple of spares as insurance

Apparently there are 10, 16 and 30amp relays depending on model. Safety suggests using at least 16A. If your fuel pump is on the way out that could also draw more current and fry your relay. 

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/589735-fuel-pump-relay-amp-rating-question.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/785247-why-red-fuel-pump-relay-special.html

Cheers @Harvs11

I've had it go before and we hard wired the fuel pump just to get me home. Have since learned to splay out the pin with a razor blade on the relay to fit in the plug more snugly which usually works, but not today. It's probably knackered now and the plug isn't that good either, so I'll have to change that eventually. Andrew had a spare relay and it fired straight up. You can also link pins 87a (fuel pump) to number 30 in the relay I think just to get you home, yet I have always had a few little electrical things going on (front left park light comes on when the brake lights are on, and I know when a brake light is out coz my interior light isnt working...like I said, weird!) I'll get it all sorted when I can afford a new loom replacement 

56 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Open it up. Why did it fail? Cheap Chinese one?
Or just dirty contacts?

I opened it up (well it fell apart actually) today and looks a bit average. Reckon it's the original one. Am told Hella or Narva do one, but am yet to look for it online

A few of the online sites are having sales right now so you might find a decent price. Part number for the red relay with the internal diode is 91161510801

The black version is a simple relay. 

Dont forget James at Autohaus, usually able to get what you need and delivered by express koala in a couple of days.  

1 hour ago, Harvs11 said:

Dont forget James at Autohaus, usually able to get what you need and delivered by express koala in a couple of days.  

Mr Caramello was going to be my first point of call after Buiks tomorrow

Archived