Waterproofing door cards - what's the cure?

Jason E

Before i start scouring the nether regions of the dark web for answers I thought I'd ask about waterproofing door cards.  I have purchased some near pristine door cards for my 944S2 to replace the good (but slightly water effected door cards).  I wanted to keep these as dry as possible & in good order for the rest of time.

Now I have cleaned out the door sills of the accumulated detritus of previous years & owners & broken dreams & have sealed the doors using plastic sheeting & million miles an hour tape.  I was just wondering is there a product, system, formula or magic spell to seal the fibre board interior surface of the door cards.

I would assume there might be a spray on or brush on penetrating chemical specifically designed for this purpose - am I right?

cheers in advance. 

This looks like a good kit for replacing the moisture membrane - I just sealed the individual holes -

https://www.carbuilders.com.au/door-restore-kit

What you have done to the doors already (tape and plastic) would normally be enough but the belt and braces approach can't hurt. I replaced my door cards with MDF over the original masonite ones that had been water damaged over the years (both materials are not known as water friendly) anyway, I bought a spray can of clear sealer (multi purpose) from Bunnings and gave the cards a couple of coats and so far so good.

In my experiance the only reason door cards get water damaged is when the door membrane (Tape & plastic) is torn or not sealed properly.

Or as BIB said, sell it and cut your losses now 😎 

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

This looks like a good kit for replacing the moisture membrane - I just sealed the individual holes -

https://www.carbuilders.com.au/door-restore-kit

That kit looks great ... that will double the value of your car for sure ... :Chuckle2:

Don't forget to replace the door seal that runs along the bottom of the window on the outside of the door .. I'm not sure about 944's, but on a 911 they shrink as they get older and let water in from the top ...

44 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Don't forget to replace the door seal that runs along the bottom of the window on the outside of the door .. I'm not sure about 944's, but on a 911 they shrink as they get older and let water in from the top ...

I didn't realise that the air-cooled Porsches were sooooo water phobic that they retract from it. 

Good grief.

have you replaced the scrapers beside your window glass? and cleared the drain holes in the bottom of the door (if it has them)

if you've done the above and have the plastic in there it's really all I'd do

and yeah maybe seal the back of the door cards with something

6 hours ago, Dreamr said:

That kit looks great ... that will double the value of your car for sure ... :Chuckle2:

New window slot seals went in about a week ago so that part is covered.  Now just wanting to seal it up tighter than a tomb.

3 hours ago, Russ said:

have you replaced the scrapers beside your window glass? and cleared the drain holes in the bottom of the door (if it has them)

if you've done the above and have the plastic in there it's really all I'd do

and yeah maybe seal the back of the door cards with something

cheers Russ, as above, new scrappers in a week ago.  Plastic in - but i'd just like to be triple sure that these door trims are maintained as they are such good knick I'd be shattered if they were spoiled.

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

New window slot seals went in about a week ago so that part is covered.  Now just wanting to seal it up tighter than a tomb.

It seems that you've done all you can ... the only sure-fire way to keep them new is not to drive in the rain .. and don't let anyone bring drinks into the car .. let them die of dehydration!! :cool07:

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

It seems that you've done all you can ... the only sure-fire way to keep them new is not to drive in the rain .. and don't let anyone bring drinks into the car .. let them die of dehydration!! :cool07:

and don't use any water when washing the car....

Archived