Porsche Connect PCM

Cappa

Hi all, I own a 2017 991.1 GTS and now the PCM only allows my Android to connect for calls and texts. The function where I could send an address to the car and see calendar entries no longer works. The Android Play Store has removed the app. Dealer said Porsche now only deal with Apple, not Android as Google wanted too much proprietary info from Porsche. I don't want to have to change phones, preferring Android aka Galaxy S9 and feel really cheesed off that a car I paid >$300k for has had this function removed within a year of brand new. Any ideas anyone? 

That sounds logical, of course. But the Connect app has just disappeared from PlayStore. Head office in Mulgrave haven't got back to me on how I can even pay a subscription to get it back. PCM calendar mirror from my S9 was just okay, but being able to Google an address from home/work and send it to car was really helpful. Maybe I need to put the sim card back into PCM, I thought it was only to share WiFi hotspot, which i didn't need. 

12 hours ago, Cappa said:

Hi all, I own a 2017 991.1 GTS and now the PCM only allows my Android to connect for calls and texts. The function where I could send an address to the car and see calendar entries no longer works. The Android Play Store has removed the app. Dealer said Porsche now only deal with Apple, not Android as Google wanted too much proprietary info from Porsche. I don't want to have to change phones, preferring Android aka Galaxy S9 and feel really cheesed off that a car I paid >$300k for has had this function removed within a year of brand new. Any ideas anyone? 

Tell the dealer that Porsche needs to buy you an iphone - seriously. Like you said, you paid $300k plus for the car and at the time you had that functionality. I would be asking for $1500 to cover the cost of an iphone

4 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Tell the dealer that Porsche needs to buy you an iphone - seriously. Like you said, you paid $300k plus for the car and at the time you had that functionality. I would be asking for $1500 to cover the cost of an iphone

Yeah it's pretty annoying, I have two dealers now chasing a solution. The bottom line is that the Porsche Connect app has been removed from the Google Play Store and it's gone from my phone too (you know sometimes how an app disappears and you try to remember what icon was in that space) None of the dealers know why but are trying to sort it out. Thanks for your suggestion Ozvino. 

2017 Macan - no Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Have had a couple of nuisance routes using the car navigation.

My preference now is to use Google Maps on my phone and connect bluetooth sound to the car. Works great and I find the voice instructions give plenty of notice so I'm not really wanting the visual map at all.

The Macan is the family car not my daily driver.

Good one Johnno, seems to work well for you. Dealer told me yesterday the 'New Porsche Connect' is in final testing and it'll be back by Feb sometime for Google Playstore, but for MY18 or earlier vehicles we will just have the Calendar and online search ability that can be sent/synced with the car. Like some other higher end cars, it seems being equipped with the Apple CarPlay and/or Android auto full functionality remains a hit and miss affair. 

can you ask them to revert back to the previous version of the PCM firmware? 

seems dumb that they would be applying updates that remove functionality, but not surprising

I'd put it on them, they made the change that broke the functionality of your phone/car by applying an update

I agree, thanks.... Just found the app on my previous Galaxy S6, it works after I BToothed it to the car, but reckon as soon as I do an phone update it will disappear. Hopefully the Feb re-release of the Connect app into the Google PlayStore will do the trick.

• 1 month later...

Maybe try and download it from here (not affiliated try at your own risk) I just google Porsche Connect APK which is the android app package.

https://apkpure.com/porsche-connect/com.porsche.connect

Might be worth a shot - just because the Google Play Store doesn't have it - doesn't mean you cant download and install it from elsewhere

17 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Maybe try and download it from here (not affiliated try at your own risk) I just google Porsche Connect APK which is the android app package.

https://apkpure.com/porsche-connect/com.porsche.connect

Might be worth a shot - just because the Google Play Store doesn't have it - doesn't mean you cant download and install it from elsewhere

Thanks a lot Dan, I'll give that a try - Great! 

Porsche Melbourne said they're aware of the issue and given Google pulled the app from their PlayStore, they can't control that; but expect in the near future a new or updated Android "PCM Connect" app should be available for 911's other than the New PCM Connect app which is only for the new model 992. Cheers.

No worries! Basically you download that package and hit install - you might need to adjust your Android security settings to allow you to install apps that aren't from the Play Store. Quick google search should help with that or just reply here and i'll try and help further.

Also general IT rules apply... make sure everything is backed up!

2 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

No worries! Basically you download that package and hit install - you might need to adjust your Android security settings to allow you to install apps that aren't from the Play Store. Quick google search should help with that or just reply here and i'll try and help further.

Also general IT rules apply... make sure everything is backed up!

Shall do, good advice, many thanks Dan.

Archived