Stupid things we have done to our cars

Similar story, a mate's car used a bit of oil, showed his wife how to check the dipstick, explained if it was down add a litre or two.

When he got home, oil all over the driveway, went to see his wife, she was furious, how are you supposed to get the oil in that little hole.

Yep tried to fill it through the dipstick tube. I was on her side, should have explained better.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

It's my job as a moderator to rein in the offensive members.

You're banned for a hour :D

😫

It's been 2 hours, can I come out to play again ? 

I'll be good...I promise 😥

😈

23 hours ago, JV911 said:

This will take some beating - Neglected to tighten bolts on intake trumpets, which worked their way loose, down the Webers and were ingested by the engine. Smashed pistons, vales and bores. Nothing was salvageable.

But how did the intake trumpets fit inside the Webers?  :D

22 hours ago, WOKA said:

Freshly sealed 13B in my RX4 Coupe, engine in, all ok, rightio - lets get back to Sydney.. A few hundred K down the road, she goes BANG.!

Opps - so who forgot to put the oil in hey..?  Young, dumb and to much chuffing on the mountain madness way back in the day.!

It made it that far with no oil?!

So many- all when young and stupid 

- put the oil pressure sensor in a threaded blank instead of the hole and ejected most of the engine oil on startup

- lost the bolts for the tail shaft to diff so substituted some from the local hardware.  When they came undone the tailshaft actually pierced the floor

- replaced a new battery and went for a test drive but forgot to clamp it down.  Stopped when new battery fell onto headers and melted through the plastic

- tried to make the car faster by taking off the diaphragm for vacuum secondary throat on the downdraft carbie, and zip tying the primary to the secondary.  Locked it open at WOT at first test drive and ended up a metre short of going through a neighbours fence

- parked a rotary in long grass and set fire to it from the cast iron header sitting on dry grass.  Luckily saved the car with nothing but a melted wiring harness

Many more.. some unpublishable.  We should do driving mistakes ... those would go for pages 

Replaced steel wheels with thicker alloys, but didn't replace the wheel studs with longer ones...so wheels hanging on only by about 3 threads.

"...wonder if that clonking noise is loose rear wheel nuts?  ...must have a look when I get home..."

10 seconds later left rear wheel overtakes me and we have a nice light and sound show as the brake drum becomes the new wheel. 

Amazingly the loose wheel came to rest in bushes and didn't hit anyone /anything.  Loose wheels can really travel and if had hit someone they would have been smudged.

Retrieved the wheel, managed to jack the car up somehow, scavenged a wheel nut off each of the other 3 wheels and trundled home slowly.  Amazingly no authorities turned up.

23 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

Did the oil change on my Datto 200B, filter etc but neglected to replace the filler cap.  Overhead cams in Datsun L series have a tendency to spray oil up and out of the cam cover if the cap isn't there.  I realised something was up when I noticed an oily smear on the windscreen after driving on the freeway to work the next day.  Cap was gone too.   I never quite managed to get all the oil out of the hood structure and it was forever seeping out of the panel seams. 

The only 200B without a rusty bonnet.

Did you go to the dealer and get another 710 cap?

image.png.730186d1e999ff0a084aeb1e9dbc1669.png

Archived