GT4 Warranty Extension worth it

soarer

Hi Everyone.

After some opinions.

My new car warranty is about to expire in a months time. Porsche have sent me a letter offering me to extend the warranty for another 2 years at a cost of $2390. I took it there today to have a check done on it and also look into a clutch that feels a bit heavy. 

The report came back with a few issues which I am not sure is concerning or not. I bought the car at 14500kms .

First, Sun visor lights don't work, both are not connected in the roof. The car was optioned with Alcantara sun visors, so am not sure if they were just missed when installed. $650 to remove head lining and clip back on. Previous owner has told me he never noticed them not working and neither have I to be honest. Roof liner was never removed for any reason unless done during a service at Porsche and he was never informed.

Brake fluid is blueish colour, Porsche say it is not Porsche approved fluid as it should be yellow. Service book has a record of brake fluid change at 11000kms from Porsche Centre Willoughby. System flush needed $185 for fluids. Then they can check the Hydraulics etc. 

Car has an Overspeed 4 report early on it's life (around 60 hour mark), the car doesn't seem to have any issues from driving it hard but a full compression and leak test ($1200) is needed before extended warranty can be offered.

All in all, they want me to spend $2035 before paying another $2390 to extend the warranty by 2 years.

What does everyone think? 

GT4s have a known issue with the 3 gear breaking. Porsche won't replace it for free unless it breaks. So the extended warranty might be useful knowing this. 

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1003208

https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-gt4-chat/223809-dreaded-3rd-gear.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/954397-gt4-g81-transmission-failure.html

19 minutes ago, Apogee said:

GT4s have a known issue with the 3 gear breaking.

I have read about this and that is a valid reason for extending the warranty.

Just received a call from PCD and they have said that the sunvisor is not an issue but the car doesn't have the sun visor light option, therefore the plug not being plugged in is normal.

Clutch and brake fluid full bleed cost $185 and that has resolved the clutch issue. Still not sure why the fluid colour was different.

Cost of compression and leak test is $1338. Seems very expensive but must be carried out to extend the warranty. I'll see if I can have them reduce the price on that for me :D

Yes sounds like that might be the case.

I am presuming your car was about a Nov 2015 build which is outside the batch which appear to have the transmission issues I cannot remember the exact dates but it was during a batch built in 2016 that seemed to have the weld issue on the 3rd gear....

14 hours ago, Chris-p said:

I am presuming your car was about a Nov 2015 build

October 2015 build so I don't think it's affected but you just never know. I think the peace of mind of having the warranty cover for another 2 years will let me sleep better at night :)

3 hours ago, soarer said:

October 2015 build so I don't think it's affected but you just never know. I think the peace of mind of having the warranty cover for another 2 years will let me sleep better at night :)

I would get it, for peace of mind as you say, and when you go to sell it or trade it, that type 4 over rev will haunt you every time! 

3 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Do you have to go through this every time you want to extend the warranty? My understanding was that if it was still under warranty, extension was just a formality if it had been serviced by Porsche.

I did extended warranty on my previous 991.1 carrera S that I bought new from PCW, they had done all the services. But before approving the extended warranty they did do an inspection & report before issuing the extended warranty. No issues so the extended warranty was approved, cost $2K.

29 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Do you have to go through this every time you want to extend the warranty? My understanding was that if it was still under warranty, extension was just a formality if it had been serviced by Porsche.

I assume it's the over rev that they're worried about. 

Service tech called me today to let me know that the Compression and Leak Test came back excellent and that Porsche are happy for me to extend the warranty. I'll pick the car up tomorrow and ask for printouts on all reports and test carried out so I can keep in the handbook just in case of future sale.

Also interesting to note that PCW used a different brake fluid than what is approved from Porsche. Brakes and clutch were both bled and the clutch is working smoothly again which is great.

Alcantara sun visors have lights in them as standard but are not connected unless the option is ticked. Can't believe this is an option but good thing Porsche Doncaster rang up head office to query and received a proper response.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll post up the reports tomorrow when I pick the car up.

2 hours ago, GC9911 said:

I did extended warranty on my previous 991.1 carrera S that I bought new from PCW, they had done all the services. But before approving the extended warranty they did do an inspection & report before issuing the extended warranty. No issues so the extended warranty was approved, cost $2K.

Ahh, when I was asked if I wanted to do the extended on mine, they gave me the price of the warranty, but never mentioned anything about the inspection. I suppose if I had said yes they would have then hit me with the upsell. Bit of a racket if you add the inspection to the warranty cost divided by the average TOY mileage of 3-4 k per year.

8 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Ahh, when I was asked if I wanted to do the extended on mine, they gave me the price of the warranty, but never mentioned anything about the inspection. I suppose if I had said yes they would have then hit me with the upsell. Bit of a racket if you add the inspection to the warranty cost divided by the average TOY mileage of 3-4 k per year.

They didn’t charge for me the inspection, not sure if that’s standard practice or not.

20 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

They didn’t charge for me the inspection, not sure if that’s standard practice or not.

Same for me, no charge for the pre warranty inspection mine was a fsh with PCSS and they did the warranty. Last service they found a crack in the exhaust and a few other little things all done under warranty 👍 I’m a believer for peace of mind and future wallet proofing

10 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

sorry,soarer got charged, and the way I read your reply was your inspection was 2k, 

Yes, understand, I think mine was a pretty simple case for them as I bought it from then new & they were the only ones who had done the services.

So Compression test results as follows:

1 - 210 psi

2 - 215 psi

3 - 215 psi

4 - 220 psi

5 - 215 psi

6 - 210 psi

I had to pay for the compression and leak test just to make sure that everything was ok before Porsche would let me extend the warranty. So all up I was charged $3500 inc discounts for everything. 

Was given a New Cayenne Hybrid to drive around for 3 days and as much as it is an excellent car, it was great to have the GT4 back again :D

I think the warranty price is good but I'm assuming its a lot of work to do a compression test on a mid-engine flat 6!

Certainly you don't what to have to go fixing these cars in case of a problem! Warranty is good peace of mind. 

10 hours ago, soarer said:

So Compression test results as follows:

1 - 210 psi

2 - 215 psi

3 - 215 psi

4 - 220 psi

5 - 215 psi

6 - 210 psi

I had to pay for the compression and leak test just to make sure that everything was ok before Porsche would let me extend the warranty. So all up I was charged $3500 inc discounts for everything. 

Was given a New Cayenne Hybrid to drive around for 3 days and as much as it is an excellent car, it was great to have the GT4 back again :D

Good result! I think you definitely did the right thing! 

It’s a factory warranty. Also just to be accurate Porsche assist is included as long as you get the car serviced at an authorized dealer. So it’s not really a part of the extended warranty. 

I have decided that due to the Km’s I do, not to bother extending the warranty at this stage. If some day I decide to sell it privately , not likely , I would consider adding it then, but 4000kms a year it doesn’t make sense financially for me to extend it....

Chris I could be wrong however I think it has to be continuous not opt out and then opt in later. Also cuts off after a certain age so maybe confirm with the dealer before you finalise your decision. 

Not not sure if the assist is wrapped into the warranty. I was told by the dealer if I have my annual service done by them then the assist is thrown in. Again all from memory not facts in front of me so I could be wrong.  I’m sure someone will home in and set us (or me) straight

Archived