944/968 Coilovers interchangeable?

Zacc

Looking for more feedback. 

Is a 968 rear suspension the same as a late 944? Can I purchase 968 Coilover kit for a late 944?

This article tends to gesture they are all similar setups between 924/944/968 and some brands like Parogn/GC sell their coilovers for both 944 late/968's. (it points out differences in spring rates between the models)

http://www.924.org/techsection/SuspensionPreparation.htm

Having a look at companies like Ground control and Pargon they sell coilover kits for late 944 with the inclusion of 968. 

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/968-complete-coilover/products/944-968-rear-coilover-assembly-pair

https://www.paragon-products.com/Coil-Over-Kit-Koni-Cup-p/koni_cup_kit.htm

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/INTRAX-944-RSA-R.html

I am looking to get a set of coilovers to adjust ride height along with the torsion bars however looking to try and get something locally with some companies stocking coilovers for 968 but not 944 as the dollar is bad and shipping is $$$ trying to buy smarter. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Zacc said:

I am looking to get a set of coilovers to adjust ride height along with the torsion bars however looking to try and get something locally with some companies stocking coilovers for 968 but not 944 as the dollar is bad and shipping is $$$ trying to buy smarter. 

Thanks!

As far as i understood if you go coil overs on the rear most people do torsion bar delete, apparently slightly better handling I've been told.

Thanks, 

I thought BC Racing had a kit however on more in depth research it was coils fronts and dampener rears with no spring. 

I think I will have to go overseas unfortunately and means I will have to be patient. 

Can anyone recommend spring rates for normal use (no track) with torsion bar still in the car? 

I went with H&R progressive lowering springs, no official figures but suspected to be around 180-220lb, with 26mm torsion bars in the rear, Haven't driven on them yet as still doing the engine,

Here is some good info from a Jon Mitchel of JMG, England. Jon is a very knowledgable Porsche Transaxle expert,

http://tipec.net/_forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14769

also Clark's has some good info, under "suspension upgrade"

2 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

I went with H&R progressive lowering springs, no official figures but suspected to be around 180-220lb, with 26mm torsion bars in the rear, Haven't driven on them yet as still doing the engine,

Here is some good info from a Jon Mitchel of JMG, England. Jon is a very knowledgable Porsche Transaxle expert,

http://tipec.net/_forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14769

also Clark's has some good info, under "suspension upgrade"

Thanks I will have a look into them, H&R are slightly over my budget. Was looking at a GAZ Gold set or BC if they did rears as they are local. 

I wish the AUD wasn't bad otherwise I would have grabbed a Ground Control or Pargon set. 

Hi Zacc

Will you be indexing the torsion bars yourself? If not then I’d think about the investment to properly setup your new coilovers. I understand it takes several hours to properly index torsion bars. If you delete them I believe you will have greater flexibility and simplicity of adjustment. Could be worth it in the long run. I’d be keen to hear other’s thoughts on how the ride/handling changes with and without torsion bars.

39 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Hi Zacc

Will you be indexing the torsion bars yourself? If not then I’d think about the investment to properly setup your new coilovers. I understand it takes several hours to properly index torsion bars. If you delete them I believe you will have greater flexibility and simplicity of adjustment. Could be worth it in the long run. I’d be keen to hear other’s thoughts on how the ride/handling changes with and without torsion bars.

I will re-index them myself. I recently had sold a 65 Type 3 Notchback that runs the same system (up until I sold it). From what I have seen they are very similar set ups. 

I wanted to delete the torsion and run Koni-Cup or Ground Control kit but it didn’t get past the budget from the wife so I will re-index for now and from who I have spoken to in EU and US the GAZ kit looks not bad and the look I’m going for and for the value (aiming to get them $1300AUD landed (excluding customs) for a full coilover set seems like a good choice for the time being. 

I am sure I will have a question or two along the way. 

3 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

Legend thanks! I’ve see. The budget Coilover page and was tempted too but for some reason I opted not too. I will probably regret down the track ha. 

52 minutes ago, Zacc said:

I will re-index them myself. I recently had sold a 65 Type 3 Notchback that runs the same system (up until I sold it). From what I have seen they are very similar set ups. 

I wanted to delete the torsion and run Koni-Cup or Ground Control kit but it didn’t get past the budget from the wife so I will re-index for now and from who I have spoken to in EU and US the GAZ kit looks not bad and the look I’m going for and for the value (aiming to get them $1300AUD landed (excluding customs) for a full coilover set seems like a good choice for the time being. 

I am sure I will have a question or two along the way. 

Legend thanks! I’ve see. The budget Coilover page and was tempted too but for some reason I opted not too. I will probably regret down the track ha. 

Same as rear dub suspension ( I've had mny Beetles and a type 3) except to adjust you have to lower the whole torsion bar assembly (at least partially) 

I also thought about the "budget coilover" but decided against it as I wanted to spend effort improving my driving and not tinkering around with the suspension settings

I ended up getting 26mm torsion bars from CIP1 https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-6569-26

Just for reference we have had a few customers buy the GAZ shocks and you get what you pay for. The range of adjustment was quite small, they didn't last long. To be honest the Konis are really the only entry level kit there is, bilstein coil over kits for a bit more sporty/track focus but they need a re-valve to be streetable , the nice shocks are the Moton and MCS. Wouldn't bother with KW, too many broken components. does the GAZ kit come with springs. 

Also consider deleting the torsion bars, no handling downsides, benefits every which way you look at it. Unless you are going to run the car in SS in Targa Tasmania and they need to be in there. Say for instance you go with 200 pound springs on your new rear shocks with torsion bars installed and find they are not to your liking and go up 100 pound, you will need to reindex again. consider saving a bit more and getting a better outcome

Regards

Sean

12 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

Same as rear dub suspension ( I've had mny Beetles and a type 3) except to adjust you have to lower the whole torsion bar assembly (at least partially) 

I also thought about the "budget coilover" but decided against it as I wanted to spend effort improving my driving and not tinkering around with the suspension settings

I ended up getting 26mm torsion bars from CIP1 https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-6569-26

Thanks, We will see how we go. If it doesn't go to plan maybe I can convince the boss (wife) to get another set maybe. 

3 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

Just for reference we have had a few customers buy the GAZ shocks and you get what you pay for. The range of adjustment was quite small, they didn't last long. To be honest the Konis are really the only entry level kit there is, bilstein coil over kits for a bit more sporty/track focus but they need a re-valve to be streetable , the nice shocks are the Moton and MCS. Wouldn't bother with KW, too many broken components. does the GAZ kit come with springs. 

Also consider deleting the torsion bars, no handling downsides, benefits every which way you look at it. Unless you are going to run the car in SS in Targa Tasmania and they need to be in there. Say for instance you go with 200 pound springs on your new rear shocks with torsion bars installed and find they are not to your liking and go up 100 pound, you will need to reindex again. consider saving a bit more and getting a better outcome

Regards

Sean

Thanks Sean, 

I totally agree but being a little impatient and the dollar being down I went with the GAZ. They do come with springs and can choose your spring rate. I won't be tracking the car at all so went for a softer set. I almost went the SPAX route but I didn't read any good reviews so pulled the pin. There were a multiple good reports about the GAZ and speaking with some people in EU so we will see how they turn out. 

Archived