Is this the worst Porsche Sports Car built in the last 2 decades?

edgy

On 10/01/2019 at 20:06, edgy said:

My prior thoughts were, If it was my sole car.. I’d have mixed feelings about having a only drop top, and most “coupe only” guys would be that way... the thing is, whilst it currently sits nicely in the collection, I’m now convinced id also be happy if it was my only Porsche ... having experienced a bunch of others, I do think that helps, but I think for those on a budget looking for Porsche thrills, the rag top should be easy to look past once you get in the pilots seat... 

Niko / Edgy etc, I'd be very happy to have one as an only Porsche, in fact ours was for the first 4 years or P ownership for us.  The hoods are so good I never thought of it as having any drawbacks - the folding mechanism is fantastic (superb bit of German engineering to watch it folding / unfolding), well insulated (for Tassie's winter weather no problems), no leaks etc - million miles ahead of our old MGB hood 🙂  and also a bit ahead our MX-5, which was also Dianne's daily driver for a number of years before the 987.  The hood on 981 is even further ahead that the 987....

Having said that, with no proof of any kind of deficiencies otherwise, I wasn't prepared to look at a Cabrio when I was looking for a 996, as we already had the Boxster.  I think the mid-engine layout of the 2 seater Boxster suits a soft top much better than a 4 seater.  Whenever I see a Saab, Merc or Beemer 4 seater I just think they look wrong...

PDK/Tip - I loved the 6 speed manual of the 987S, but am mightily impressed with the PDK in the 981.  Whilst the engine note of the 3.2 in the 987 S is fantastic, and probably sounds better than the 2.7 981, I think the 2.7 feels to have more power than the 3.2, although that may because the PDK probably makes better use of the power I wonder??  I just wish my 996 had PDK rather than 5 sp Tip.....

Archived