Jump to content
edgy

Hitting backspace on years of neglect...

Recommended Posts

In all the years (coming up to 3) I have owned this 997, I have never given it a good detail, I have tracked it for as long as I've owned it, and always thought the condition suffered a bit from that... one annoying thing with the dark paint colour is all the rubber you pick up going to the track, its not so plain to see like it would be one a white car, so over the years, I just washed it and let that stuff accumulate, that was until this weekend. 

Currently being in two minds about what I should be doing with it, I thought I should have a shot at removing all the rubber and give the paintwork a rejuvenation.

So I got setup.. 

IMG_5192.jpg.1d395ffddc38304d9cd371965e2855b3.jpg

This is the product that came up in my search Bowdens 'Rubber Off', already being a fan of some of Bowdens products, I rushed out in the morning to pick some up on the routine Sunday morning coffee run. 

IMG_5186.jpg.0517e452ee1e72a2bda727618a82d6cd.jpg

 

This is the test section I did first, you can see what I mean by annoying to address... you have to have the right light and viewing angle, but its very clear here. 

IMG_5187.jpg.d092f416b67bd68f296fcec093ad6b43.jpg

On the cleaned surface you just spray it on, and let it activate for 10-30 seconds. 

IMG_5188.jpg.ef1b330b0134ee331c211bf681a71f34.jpg

You then wipe it off, and go back over it with some wax, and this is how it comes out! Amazing stuff!! B) 

IMG_5189.jpg.9c5712302a10f2980f9224e36d6e7b96.jpg

 

So after sneaking out for lunch, I came back and decided to go over the entire car, clay bar it and then treat it to a 3 stage wax treatment, here's how that turned out... 

IMG_5237.thumb.JPG.39d84b6af5c9c2b62e48a1aa207cd855.JPG

IMG_5235.thumb.JPG.9314d673a05d9b7fd0c30bde537c7a18.JPG

IMG_5236.thumb.JPG.c1feb799acad31fae8542b1d7a883dbe.JPG

The roof is like a mirror! 

IMG_5201.jpg.87dd45a3b2f2adff296c9dae43051ff9.jpg

 

I also tried the Bowdens Wash & wax as they claim its for lazy enthusiasts (me), I was using mothers before, I like the results of this product and even gave the Boxster a quick wash with it, looks good, nice glow to it. 

Also, upon looking over the car, its in much better condition than I thought, the paint just needed rejuvenation, there is a couple of paint repairs I'd like to address, mainly where the rocks tend to sandblast the sill panels and quarters... do any fellow 997 owners know if there is meant to be a protective film on that spot? Kinda like the G body cars had? 

For now, the car is back under its dust cover and I'll look forward to deciding what in the hell I am doing with it in the interim! :lol:

Hope this might help someone in the same conundrum or motivate you to do the same.. it was oddly satisfying for me! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful car, made even better with some elbow grease.

Great job, and good intel on the products used.

What time can I drop mine around for the same treatment?!?

Do I hear a hint of possible sale coming up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job Edgy, Car looks sensational and the dark colours are very hard to look after as you obviously know.

BOWDEN's do make some good stuff and being Aussie, makes it even better.

I have been and AUTOGLYM person for years, but slowly seeing BOWDEN's products coming onto my shelves.

I just bought a bottle of that BOWDENS WASH AND WAX yesterday, and haven't used it yet.  So good to hear your report.

Just for interest, what tyres are you running on the GT3, and are they also your track/street tyres?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Beautiful car, made even better with some elbow grease.

Great job, and good intel on the products used.

What time can I drop mine around for the same treatment?!?

Do I hear a hint of possible sale coming up?

 

 

Maybe in about 3 years? That is the last time I put in this much work :lol: 

RE: sale; 

I have been thinking of selling it, yes, mainly due to lack of use, I have no intentions of racing this year or next, so I was thinking of selling it now, buying something to putt around in for the next couple of years and buying a 2016 GT3RS in due course... but these 997's are amazing cars with pedigree, rare, and I know I'd regret it!! I did speak to Dutton and that was good motivation to keep it OR sell it myself, I am really in two minds, and I have my eyes on something, so will need to make an executive decision in the coming weeks. 

Usually my self administered advice in these situations is to do nothing at all... 

28 minutes ago, Niko said:

Nice job Edgy, Car looks sensational and the dark colours are very hard to look after as you obviously know.

BOWDEN's do make some good stuff and being Aussie, makes it even better.

I have been and AUTOGLYM person for years, but slowly seeing BOWDEN's products coming onto my shelves.

I just bought a bottle of that BOWDENS WASH AND WAX yesterday, and haven't used it yet.  So good to hear your report.

Just for interest, what tyres are you running on the GT3, and are they also your track/street tyres?

 

 

 

Yup, the Aussie made helps, nice to support local business. 

I run it on R-comps at the track, we use the Yokohama A050 on some OZ racing wheels in 18" as that has better tyre choices than the OEM 19" wheels.

IMG_4013.thumb.JPG.e2d6e2901012255b8d33e2b6f7a5e083.JPG

 

I actually need to get some fresh road rubber, so one of the next steps was going to be refurb the wheels and buy some Cup 2's to put on it, they would be as close to best of both worlds! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Mate looks great what shade of blue is your GT3 ..........is it Lapis ...?

What sort of laptimes you getting a SMSP and Wakefield on the  A050 R spec tires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Raven said:

Nice work Mate looks great what shade of blue is your GT3 ..........is it Lapis ...?

What sort of laptimes you getting a SMSP and Wakefield on the  A050 R spec tires

Good eyes, it is Lapis Blue 

My SMSP times suck at the moment, but I know its me not the car, last time out was 1.49 for SMSP, with the all stock suspension I think this should be about the 1.47's.

Wakefield is 1.06's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic looking car and while it might take a bit of work that blue looks amazing, all the more so given the years of good use. 

And yes there should be protective clear plastic on the guards there, you can pick them up from Porsche but might be better to get one made from a paint protection outfit and have them cover the sill and guard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edgy said:

Good eyes, it is Lapis Blue 

My SMSP times suck at the moment, but I know its me not the car, last time out was 1.49 for SMSP, with the all stock suspension I think this should be about the 1.47's.

Wakefield is 1.06's 

I have recently been researching all of the Porsche blue color names ..

Only 2 Lapis blue 997.1 GT3 were delivered down under ..............:cool07:

997-GT3-delivery-stats.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Raven said:

I have recently been researching all of the Porsche blue color names ..

Only 2 Lapis blue 997.1 GT3 were delivered down under ..............:cool07:

Yup, which makes decisions to sell MUCH harder than if it was say? White... :LOL:

17 hours ago, 9r said:

Fantastic looking car and while it might take a bit of work that blue looks amazing, all the more so given the years of good use. 

And yes there should be protective clear plastic on the guards there, you can pick them up from Porsche but might be better to get one made from a paint protection outfit and have them cover the sill and guard

Thanks, it is painful to keep on top off.. I am not sure what is better, when its dirty? OR when its really clean? When its clean you really notice the dust... 

Thanks for the note on the plastic guards, I'll look into getting some and having them fitted when repaired. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might of taken this rejuvenation to the next level.... 

 

1DC21381-D397-4656-8DB5-7A0D727070DE.jpeg.2f612886dc958c679a47cad97000c24c.jpeg

 

9A3601C8-E773-4A67-8A24-D806767D35BB.jpeg.8f3758c43cb6a7cef077186278b3bf5a.jpeg

C99E500E-5A6C-44C8-B564-2DD090C6BACF.jpeg.a2cb0d63744e7dba420caf72f81bb930.jpeg

4530E73E-6E3F-4405-9F81-8927A5BE088E.jpeg.4c41ece883f6ea0fbe3f27a885fdb762.jpeg

F7AA3488-1D7E-4BC0-B58F-42F062135CEA.jpeg.db21e292a9e4d100111eb640bdd942d9.jpeg

A3437A22-D185-4797-A713-FC1610EAEE7F.jpeg.e7da7bd14aae1c5a474579cb063dc16a.jpeg

 

Had a great morning with @Harold996tt on Friday checking up on the progress of Mr Lapis... we had to review and sign off on a tweak or two! ;) 

Can’t wait to have back Mr Lapis V-2.0 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, edgy said:

I might of taken this rejuvenation to the next level.... 

 

1DC21381-D397-4656-8DB5-7A0D727070DE.jpeg.2f612886dc958c679a47cad97000c24c.jpeg

 

9A3601C8-E773-4A67-8A24-D806767D35BB.jpeg.8f3758c43cb6a7cef077186278b3bf5a.jpeg

C99E500E-5A6C-44C8-B564-2DD090C6BACF.jpeg.a2cb0d63744e7dba420caf72f81bb930.jpeg

4530E73E-6E3F-4405-9F81-8927A5BE088E.jpeg.4c41ece883f6ea0fbe3f27a885fdb762.jpeg

F7AA3488-1D7E-4BC0-B58F-42F062135CEA.jpeg.db21e292a9e4d100111eb640bdd942d9.jpeg

A3437A22-D185-4797-A713-FC1610EAEE7F.jpeg.e7da7bd14aae1c5a474579cb063dc16a.jpeg

 

Had a great morning with @Harold996tt on Friday checking up on the progress of Mr Lapis... we had to review and sign off on a tweak or two! ;) 

Can’t wait to have back Mr Lapis V-2.0 

 

Absolutely awesome morning brother! She's going to be stunning with the the tweaks. Though if someone is colour blind they may not notice the brake caliper change mate. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week I got the news I was waiting on, the car is ready! 😬 

So I headed up to the shop on Thursday for a final inspection, whilst we’re waiting on the paint to post cure for a few more weeks, I can’t have the PPF done, so they had the car sent to me on a flat bed truck on Friday... haven’t had much time to get images, but took a couple of decent ones in the backyard on Friday. 
 

1C40A415-AC2B-4D3F-9FED-EC1BB47FC0C6.thumb.jpeg.0deca607add84b35fada4bad7472f249.jpeg
 

2B68660F-2192-4A27-ADC9-43BCBE945BF0.thumb.jpeg.92194377a4c06a590e67202bc43df14b.jpeg


To me, it was like falling in love with the car all over again, like day one! And they did an absolutely amazing job on it, it looks new & most importantly a correct finish... but now I gotta wait another 3-4 weeks to install the PPF but I can’t wait to get the cage & Recaros back in it and enjoy the hell out of it! 
 

I have a couple other visual tweaks in store for it... but will get to those later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, unbelievable Kurt.  A stunning colour full stop but it now looks beyond what I thought it could do...and this is just in the photos, in real life I imagine it will now be a work of art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, edgy said:

 

1C40A415-AC2B-4D3F-9FED-EC1BB47FC0C6.thumb.jpeg.0deca607add84b35fada4bad7472f249.jpeg
 

2B68660F-2192-4A27-ADC9-43BCBE945BF0.thumb.jpeg.92194377a4c06a590e67202bc43df14b.jpeg

Holy shit, that looks awesome!!!! So good for something like that wind up exceeding expectations. Can’t wait to see it in the flesh one SMT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edgy said:

This week I got the news I was waiting on, the car is ready! 😬 

So I headed up to the shop on Thursday for a final inspection, whilst we’re waiting on the paint to post cure for a few more weeks, I can’t have the PPF done, so they had the car sent to me on a flat bed truck on Friday... haven’t had much time to get images, but took a couple of decent ones in the backyard on Friday. 
 

1C40A415-AC2B-4D3F-9FED-EC1BB47FC0C6.thumb.jpeg.0deca607add84b35fada4bad7472f249.jpeg
 

2B68660F-2192-4A27-ADC9-43BCBE945BF0.thumb.jpeg.92194377a4c06a590e67202bc43df14b.jpeg


To me, it was like falling in love with the car all over again, like day one! And they did an absolutely amazing job on it, it looks new & most importantly a correct finish... but now I gotta wait another 3-4 weeks to install the PPF but I can’t wait to get the cage & Recaros back in it and enjoy the hell out of it! 
 

I have a couple other visual tweaks in store for it... but will get to those later. 

Nice work K, excellent outcome.  So I should send the $175K over now????😂😂😂😂😂 Still got space in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jakroo said:

looks absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, unbelievable Kurt.  A stunning colour full stop but it now looks beyond what I thought it could do...and this is just in the photos, in real life I imagine it will now be a work of art.

Thanks Andrew!

That is exactly my thoughts... I knew it would look good, but as you say, it is beyond what I had hoped for! The fresh paint with the combination of the subtle wheel refresh in the modern colour palette of platinum satin really keeps it looking contemporary... that is a testament to this generations design IMO. I've always said the 997 was the most beautiful of the water-cooled  911's 

20 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Nice work K, excellent outcome.  So I should send the $175K over now????😂😂😂😂😂 Still got space in the garage.

I knew I never should have listed it!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Lapis Blue is something special and well worth the PTS extra cost.

It seems to change colour depending on the light source or where the sun strikes it - beautiful.

Looking at the piccies, did you just have the rear end painted - how is the colour match, which is doubly difficult on 10-12 year old paint ??  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

That Lapis Blue is something special and well worth the PTS extra cost.

It seems to change colour depending on the light source or where the sun strikes it - beautiful.

Looking at the piccies, did you just have the rear end painted - how is the colour match, which is doubly difficult on 10-12 year old paint ??  

I don't believe this car was a PTS order, I believe this colour was within the available palette for the model year. 

The entire car (save for the engine bay & frunk) has been resprayed, so there was no issues with matching... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.708b398248061434fec7f5270c49a1c7.png

As posted on a previous thread (not entirely sure where this original data was pulled from)......... Lapis Blue was not a PTS ...... in fact there were two of them delivered to Australia.

This must have been the era when some clown decided that Black, white, grey and silver were on-trend! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...