Service history

Techno

I am further advanced in my quest to secure a Cayman but I seek the collective wisdom of the board regarding service history.

I have two current candidates.

One has been serviced annually but the distance travelled between services ranges from 2,000 km to 8,500 km.

The other has also been serviced annually (some times slightly longer) and also between 2,000 and 7,500 km. However, during the first few years of its life it did 22,000 and 33,000 between annual services. Obviously the initial owner really wanted to get his moneys worth for the purchase price.

My concern is that the first vehicle sat around a lot and the second initially put up some high miles between services.

I take the view that vehicles are designed to be used and benefit from regular use but is 33,000 km between annual services too far?

BTW, I can't comment on condition other than from photos as I have not physically seen them yet. 

3 hours ago, Techno said:

I take the view that vehicles are designed to be used and benefit from regular use but is 33,000 km between annual services too far?

That would be over twice the factory recommended. Previous owner is a bit lax IMO.  I'd be cautious.

Sometimes the services aren't recorded in the service book but a quick check with a Porsche authorised service centre should confirm electronically what services have been done. The 33,000 may have a minor service in between that wasn't recorded in the book.

34 minutes ago, 42 South said:

Sometimes the services aren't recorded in the service book but a quick check with a Porsche authorised service centre should confirm electronically what services have been done. The 33,000 may have a minor service in between that wasn't recorded in the book.

Have to agree, and it is a bit hard to form an opinion one way or the other without having seen the cars.....

2 hours ago, Techno said:

Both 2008.

Not sure if you know but the factory service schedule is every 2 years or every 20,000k, whichever comes first - minor then major services alternating. Brake fluid replacement service is every 4 years.

How many ks has this car travelled "One has been serviced annually but the distance travelled between services ranges from 2,000 km to 8,500 km?  And how many ks has the other one travelled?

Based on only the info provided definately buy the lower k one. Even if it's done 2500k's in some years, that's not considered "sitting around". Not a problem to the car at all, to drive it once a week and travel 40 ks, or drive it once a fortnight and travel 80 ks, or once in a while drive it after a month. An excellent well looked after car owned by a conscientious owner (and serviced by Porsche dealer?) will often be started in the garage every week or two and taken well up into running temp for 15  - 20 minutes (sometimes run through the gears in the garage) if not going for a drive. Two reasons are to charge top up the battery and to keep the engine in tip top shape.

On the surface 33,000km doesn't look good but I think you need to consider other factors as well when making the decision between the two:

Who did the services and who is most likely to use high quality lubricants?

Any evidence of sludge or varnish?

What sort of use?  Gentle highway miles or short trips where the oil rarely gets hot?

Good brand, matching tyres or mismatched Wingdings and Goldstars indicating they don't care or can't afford car maintenance?

Aftermarket air filter?  Can't think of a worse thing to inflict on an engine.

Price?  Is the lower km's worth the extra cash?

etc etc.

I think you need to look at both to determine the best buy and can't just rely on the service records alone.

8 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

….. will often be started in the garage every week or two and taken well up into running temp for 15  - 20 minutes (sometimes run through the gears in the garage) …...Two reasons are to charge top up the battery and to keep the engine in tip top shape.

I disagree T.  I don't think idling for 15 minutes every week or two is a good thing.  Leaving it on a staged trickle charger and only starting it when you go for a drive has to be a better way.

17 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I disagree T.  I don't think idling for 15 minutes every week or two is a good thing.  Leaving it on a staged trickle charger and only starting it when you go for a drive has to be a better way.

Well for the battery yes definately the trickle charger is better always.

What I was referencing to is a usual situation for a lot of owners who may have a few sports cars, motorbikes etc. Meaning if the car has times over a year where it isn't driven for a month then driven say a couple of times in a fortnight for a descent short or long run, then sits for a month again, it's quite ok to give it a 20 minute idle and some revs in the middle of that month. The engine will be just fine, and the battery should easily be strong enough to last well for a few weeks or else your battery is on the way out. 

• 2 months later...

Above anything else - Get a pre-purchase inspection. Servicing is great, but it's not the be-all. Check how the car has been treated, there's a lot that previous owners can't hide when it comes to getting it checked out by someone who knows their Porsches. Call around your area and see who is familiar with Caymans, it could save you big bucks at the end of the day!

Unless you can find evidence of servicing between the 33k I wouldn’t do it.  All very well to ask for a PPI but sludge detection really requires engine dissassembly.   You have an alternative lower mile (equivalent?) car, so I would boss heavily toward that.

If you watch the skid factory on YouTube they pulled down a low mileage rb30 and it was full of sludge.  Yet no external inspection showed it as it was a very low mileage car.

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

Unless you can find evidence of servicing between the 33k I wouldn’t do it.  All very well to ask for a PPI but sludge detection really requires engine dissassembly…...

13 bolts hold the sump plate on so it wouldn't be difficult to have a poke about.  Pulling a cam cover is an alternative and very valid checking place if you didn't want to shout the owner an oil change.

Yes, that Skid Factory episode was interesting.  33,000km and so much sludge.  Took me back to engine rebuilding in the late 70's and even the early eighties where it was normal to have a 1/4 inch of thick sludge over the interior. Another good reason to use modern ACEA accredited oils I reckon.  

Archived